• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Getting ready to build a new 100-1200 yard range.

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to get a 100 yard to 1200 yard range set up on our farm. So far no dirt has been moved and I'm in the planning stages. I'm open to any ideas and constructive criticism. Here is the idea.

I have a field roughly 1200 yards long running North and South on our farm in Wellington, Ohio. I would like to have berms set up at roughly 200, 500, 900 and 1200 yards. The stationary shooting area would be on top of the barn roof. I know it sounds a little redneck, but this field has many rolling elevation changes and shooting from the ground would be very difficult because its not a clear shot (line of sight) from the barns to the woods.

For berms I was thinking about having big round bales from left to right all the way back. The bales would be stacked two high, maybe two wide and two deep. I'm pretty sure most rifle calibers would not make it past the second bale. I have thought about fire hazards, and the bales would be covered with dirt in addition, they would basically be used as filler. Each station would have a 5x8 ply wood standing up with backing paper and targets. I would also probably have some kind of wind flags running down at 200 yard increments.

So what do you guys think?? Here are some pictures of the field. I'm open to ideas and we have a decent selection of machinery and what not at my disposal, so just about anything can be done.

Mark

IMAG0334.jpg

half way in the field

IMAG0340.jpg

IMAG0339.jpg

Re: Getting ready to build a new 100-1200 yard range.

Would add 700 yards and 1K berms also. Have you test fire to see if your berm can stop a 308 or 300 win mag? Just to be safe that's all. Would also get some metal targets, since paper targets are extremely difficult to see at ranges beyond 600 yards. Nice field. Your neighbor doesn't mind the added noise?

1K and 600 yrd berms are very useful. Please post results of berm test with round bales as the backstop.
I think the elevated shooting position is a great idea.
Good luck-Rob

Well, I try to be neighborly, but most people shoot out here anyways. But I'm not going to be a public shooting range going at all times.

As far as the bales, I will do some testing with them. I think maybe a 260 Rem or 6.5x284 would be a better test to see if they would stop a bullet??

As far as the steel target go, I have one made by LV Steel Targets and its the #2 10x17 silhouette, I dont know if I can afford to place those at all berms.

What is typically the hardest jump in long range shooting? 700 to 1000?

Your bales will work well for a while covered in dirt. They will rot. Not sure what will happen after that. They may work just as well rotton as new. Are bales cheaper than dirt? Hay cost about 30 roll her in KY. Not sure what is would cost there.
T

That actually looks fairly flat. Rather than putting the shootnig platform on top of the barn, why not build another elevated platfom on a couple 6x6 posts at say 8' up. Also for the steel targets mentioned previously if you have the equipment to cut it mild steel will do fine at the longer distances

The barn roof looks like great place to call coyotes from, once they get half way to you, it's a long way back to protection.

There use to be a decent amount of Coyotes around, but I dont even hear them any more, plus the deer and rabbit population seems to be getting out of control.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also for the steel targets mentioned previously if you have the equipment to cut it mild steel will do fine at the longer distances </div></div>

Perhaps for the shooter but not for neighbors. No sense in chancing a round leaving the property for a few extra dollars.

I am getting ready to do something similar at one of my farms but I am going to build a berm to shoot from so that I can shoot prone or have a bench on the berm. I shoot a lot in the winter and the wind is quite strong some days. If shooting from a building or other structure you will have movement with the wind but the ground will not move.

If it were me I'd poke a hole in the side of the barn and add a window or double doors. That way you could go up to the loft and shoot rain or shine from a nice platform. With an elevated platform like that you could just run a "road" down the field and not have to deal with the berm issue. Sink some 4" PVC tubes into the ground and drop some 2 X 4 target frames into them as needed. Even yard lines on the left odd on the right. Back them up with a roll at each and call it good.

Cheers,

Doc

Sounds like its going to be a dream set up...

I'd be wary about using bales though as they will rot over time..As they rotthe whole nature of the berm will change and theres a risk it will no longer stop bullets.

Ever thought about having a pond or small lake on the property? I'm thinkind that the spoil from digging a pond would be enough for the berms??

When my parents had a farm, we used round hay bails for bullet stops. 1 is enough to stop bullets, but the most powerful caliber we had was a 30-06 to test it out on. I would probably double up on the bails to be sure and if you are shooting fast calibers.

You can control the dispersal pattern of direct fire right at the firing point with the use of baffling.

A wooden structure, similar in design to a pergola, set within the initial downrange space, can create barriers that will entrap stray rounds headed in undesirable directions. Planks set at right angles to the line of light, arrayed and spaced several planks in depth, can establish side and upward limits to a bullet's direction of flight. This is a simple, established, and recognized method of establishing safe fire corridors.

While you're at it, the firing point can also be enclosed and lined with sound deadening material (recycling old carpeting, etc.), so your activities will draw far less attention from surrounding neighbors.

Finally, the best direction of fire is Northward, so natural lighting can be used to eliminate shadowing and illuminate the targets.

Greg

Pm me with more info.
My brother went to school with John D. and I work with several of the other farming families in the area.
I'm not working tomorrow, and can stop by and check it out.
I know of a couple of silos like that, but not from the backside.
It wouldn't be a redneck set-up, but a farm boy one;)
TC

I think it's a pretty good idea. as said above by others,, I'm not sure how the rolls will be after they start to rott, but you could just try it and see. I'm just over here in Huron, gimme a holler sometime and I might be able to lend a hand if you need any help with anything.

I'd just like to say how great it must be to have access to a property like that! I'm got 500 tops! I would deffinently try the berms if you could though if you buried the bales they would break down overtime into a berm but wouldn't be as good as if there was some clay in the mix.