• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting ready to build-need help

gmphk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I will be building a new GAP Crusader in 308 pretty soon and have a question. The gun build specifies a 22 in 5R barrel. I will probably be shooting it most of the time at 400 to 600 yards at my family's ranch property, but would like to be able to shoot at 1000 yards at the local military firing range when it is available. Will the 22 in barrel work for that or should I be looking at a 24 or 25 in barrel in order to do both accurately? Thanks for your help.

Re: Getting ready to build-need help

Sorry if this is not the brightest question in the world (I am new to long range shooting), but doesn't barrel length have alot to do with speed of bullet and drop?

Re: Getting ready to build-need help

Yes it does. However, you will have enough to get to 1000 yards easily with a 22 inch barrel. The USMC M40A3 has a 24 inch(actually 25 inch) barrel. They can get it to 1000 easily, I've seen it. You'll be fine with the 22 inch barrel! Get it and shoot it!