• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting ready to start loading 223 seriously.

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I have loaded a bit a of 223/556 for ARs. But never really loaded for LR precision.

I was fortunate enough to order one of the new Rem 700 5R Mil Spec and a Premier 3-15 to sit on it. So, I am getting ready to start loading for LR in 223.

The components I have on hand are Varget, 4-5 boxes of new Lapua 223 cases and a few hundred primers (CCI I think). I also have a set of competition seating/sizing dies from RCBS. My question is am I good to go with these or are there some components that are the "consensus" defaults for 223?

I am wondering if the Federal gold medal primers I use for the 308 (210M's) are as good for 223 as they are 308. I have 10000 210's and I am thinking of maybe trading half of them for the same in 223. Just wanting to hear some opinions on what components I should use to start load development for the 5R. Thanks.

Re: Getting ready to start loading 223 seriously.

I wouldnt trade the 210Ms, unless it was to me! heeehee

Sounds like you got your 223 components ready to go there. I wouldnt change anything. Jsut add top notch bullets and go to town.

John

Go with Remington 7 1/2 BR primers, they are the best for .223 precision work IMHO. I have tried everything from Wolf to FGMM and I like Rem 7 1/2's the best.

barrel is a 1 in 9 twist, I agree with the rem 7 1/2 primers. I would also add some nosler 69gr bullets I have had good luck out of my 1 in 9 twist with 25.5gr of varget with chrononed velocity of 2950fps, it is actually my fireforming load for my 223ai but it shoots about 1/2moa at least out to 200yds haven't field tested it for longer ranges.

I don't know what you consider "long range," but a 1 in 9 barrel will not stabilize any bullet in .223 that will reach my definition of "long range."

What you have is a good mid range rifle. The long range guys are using 77 and 80 grain bullets, which will not work in that tube.

My 1 in 9 stabilizes Nosler 77 grain just fine, but, not right away. It shoots 1" groups at 100 yards, but, the groups shrink to less than 3/4" at 200 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RH4540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 1 in 9 stabilizes Nosler 77 grain just fine, but, not right away. It shoots 1" groups at 100 yards, but, the groups shrink to less than 3/4" at 200 yards.</div></div>

Really???

My LTR 223 1 in 9 20'' stabilizes 77 SMKs . Shouldn't but does. Originally i thought that 69s were the heaviest I could use but some posts on the Hide suggested that 77s were viable so I gave them a try. It will shoot .5 to .75 MOA at 100 yards and was holding its own against a bunch of 308s at 500yds last time I shot it at distance. I have every confidence that it will work at 600 as I have had good results with the 69s at that distance. Hope to try the 77s at 800 soon.......

By the way - my 200 yard groups are roughly twice the size of my 100 yard groups
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyTRG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My LTR 223 1 in 9 20'' stabilizes 77 SMKs . Shouldn't but does. Originally i thought that 69s were the heaviest I could use but some posts on the Hide suggested that 77s were viable so I gave them a try. It will shoot .5 to .75 MOA at 100 yards and was holding its own against a bunch of 308s at 500yds last time I shot it at distance. I have every confidence that it will work at 600 as I have had good results with the 69s at that distance. Hope to try the 77s at 800 soon....... </div></div>

I surely do not want to throw cold water on your enthusiasm, but while your rifle stabilizes the 77SMK, that round is pretty much out of steam as it gets to 600 yards. In a windy day, keeping it on target will be challenging. It will be going subsonic by the time it gets to 800 yards.

Anyway, you will want to try that for yourself, I'm sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RH4540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 1 in 9 stabilizes Nosler 77 grain just fine, but, not right away. It shoots 1" groups at 100 yards, but, the groups shrink to less than 3/4" at 200 yards.</div></div>

Really??? </div></div>
Coats his bullets with Preparation H.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyTRG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My LTR 223 1 in 9 20'' stabilizes 77 SMKs . Shouldn't but does. Originally i thought that 69s were the heaviest I could use but some posts on the Hide suggested that 77s were viable so I gave them a try. It will shoot .5 to .75 MOA at 100 yards and was holding its own against a bunch of 308s at 500yds last time I shot it at distance. I have every confidence that it will work at 600 as I have had good results with the 69s at that distance. Hope to try the 77s at 800 soon....... </div></div>

I surely do not want to throw cold water on your enthusiasm, but while your rifle stabilizes the 77SMK, that round is pretty much out of steam as it gets to 600 yards. In a windy day, keeping it on target will be challenging. It will be going subsonic by the time it gets to 800 yards.

Anyway, you will want to try that for yourself, I'm sure. </div></div>

That's basically what I was getting at. I talked to the .223 shooters at my last match, and they are suggesting 80 grain bullets for the 1000 yard line, and even those won't reach 1k at what I'd call "sane" pressures.

A 1 in 9 tube @ 1000 yards? No way.

If the military used 1 in 9 tubes, Camp Perry would still be "owned" by the M14.

77gr in a 1 in 9 twist? That sounds like an oddity not the norm.

Sig - I'm sure you're probably right about the 800 but as you said it won't stop me from trying.

Challett - Yup it may well be an anomally . I originally hadn't thought about going above 69s but reading around suggested the 77s <span style="font-style: italic">might</span> work and as it turns out they do. An unexpected bonus. I'm not suggesting that every 1 in 9 rifle will do it but this one does.

A 24" bolt gun in 1/9 and the 77's will probably work just fine. You should be able to get enough velocity out of it not to have any issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyTRG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sig - I'm sure you're probably right about the 800 but as you said it won't stop me from trying.

</div></div>

Good for you. And I look forward to a report on how you circumvented the laws of external ballistics. I certainly do not want to stand in your way, just pointing out some of the upcoming challenges. BTW, I believe the 69gr SMK is a more accurate bullet than the 77GR SMK.

I used to shoot the 77gr SMK in F-TR at 300 and the 80s at 600-1000gr. I gave up on the 77gr and went pure 80 from 300 to 1000. My scores jumped. For some reason, the 77gr had elevation issues at 300 and the wind could knock it around too easily. The 80grainers just smoothed out the trajectory, like a laser. Then again the F-class centers are totally unforgiving at 300 yards. My last score in F-TR at 300 was 590-20X, with the second match one a 199-8X in 15MPH winds, with an AR-15. The X-ring is 2.85 inches in diameter; the X-ring is 1.42 inches in diameter.