• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting rid of Carbon Ring

Brian Turner

Target shooter mainly
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2023
Just looking for some tips on good products to use to get rid of a carbon ring. It’s cause my bullets to stick bad.

Soak a cleaning mop in Bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover, insert, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. As mentioned above, use a bronze brush...repeat until clean. This is how I do all my 22Lr rifles and pistols which are known for stubborn carbon rings, works well.

Remove barrel from rifle, plug muzzle with something that will not leak like a small piece of foam or rubber. Clamp in a vice or something so the muzzle is down. Fill barrel with seafoam. Let barrel set for 3 to 7 days, drain and wrap a brush with a cleaning patch smear JB bore paste on patch and rub the carbon right now. I have done several barrels like this where they where so bad the brass was being crushed on the sides.

Just a suggestion. Once removed, try regular ( like after each range session ) cleaning, particularly in the carbon ring forming area. Try to prevent it in the first place. I soak that area in C4 after every shooting session and patch it out.

Basically, clean on a regular basis then you won't have a problem to begin with. I've been shooting for 20-odd years and have never had a problem.

Carbon rings have only become an issue when people stopped using bronze brushes to clean barrels. For some inexplicable reason shooters decided that bronze brushes destroy barrels and patching was the way to go.

Reactions: hkguns
I`m 76 years old and if I leave ANY gun uncleaned for more than over night after each use I can still hear daddy`s voice from my early boyhood, " You cleaned that gun yet boy? You take care of your equipment and it`ll take care of you." Then again, I guess 3 years in the Pacific during WWII would have a tendency to form an opinion as to how certain things should be done!

I'm just wondering if using a bronze brush as part of one's routine cleaning process prevents carbon ring formation or at least minimizes it?

When I had to switch to an odorless cleaning solvent, one of the reasons I selected C4 besides it being odorless is that I wanted to continue to use a bronze brush. C4 doesn't significantly reaction with a bronze brush like C2 or Eliminator. Incidentally, I was amazed at the amount of carbon C4 removes compared to Shooter's Choice even with a bronze brush.

C4 should do it after soaking it with a mop. I personally just use Eliminator and regular cleaning. I don't use a bronze brush. I just use nylon brushes from Boretech. They seem to do the job just fine each time I inspect the bore after cleaning.

I'm not one of those people who have to get everything out, so if I see a little copper I'm okay with that. I mostly target carbon in my cleaning.

Using Boretech Eliminator every few hundred rounds seems to be good enough for my needs. (Will need nylon brush otherwise bronze will give false positive.)

Try boretech c4 carbon remover. Soak a mop and leave in the chamber for 15 minutes. Repeat if necessary

That how I clean my rimfires

Try boretech c4 carbon remover. Soak a mop and leave in the chamber for 15 minutes. Repeat if necessary

That how I clean my rimfires
Actually removes a little loose copper as well if the blue on the patch and in the drops out the end of the barrel are any indication.

First step is to stop using powders that are dirty and carbon ring prone like varget. Switch to h4350 and watch problem disappear.

I have used nothing but nylon brushes and boretech products for like the last 50k rounds both reloads and precision factory ammo.

Clean every 300 or so rounds. Follow directions on bottle. Don't go for squeaky clean bores..you will always have carbon build up in groves but it will still shoot great.

Like mentioned above, soak a boremop and let it sit for 30 mins...turning it every 5-10. Will keep shit from building up.

Soak a cleaning mop in Bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover, insert, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. As mentioned above, use a bronze brush...repeat until clean. This is how I do all my 22Lr rifles and pistols which are known for stubborn carbon rings, works well.
This works well. I let them sit overnight if i shoot more than 100 rounds

Reactions: Quick1