• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Getting second suppressor, which one?

bluegrasspicker

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2005
West Virginia
I'd like to pick up a second suppressor to go with the 9" SAS Arbiter that I already own. The Arbiter spends most of its time traveling between a precision rifle and a 8" 300Blk on an AR platform, with a rare visit to a couple other rifles.

I'd like to leave the SAS on the precision rifle and put the new can mostly on the SBR.

I'm leaning towards either an Ultra-5 or the (new, I think) K9-L from SAS.

The 6" K9-L from SAS seems like a good choice because it's short and fits the TOMB mounts already on four rifles. According to the manufacturers' spec sheets it's 6 1/2 oz heavier and an extra .25" in OD than the Ultra-5. That's not attractive unless there's a good reason for the extra weight and size, like maybe it's quieter. The Ultra-5 makes sense because it's lighter and shorter. It just wouldn't fit the other rifles with the current muzzle devices.

I've never seen either in person, so I can't compare their effectiveness. I've read a bunch about the Ultra-5, but not so much the K9-L. If anyone's tried the K9-L I'd really like to hear about it.

On the flip side, I could go with a 7" can for better suppression, in which case I'd be tempted to go with the SAS Reaper over the Ultra-7 due to the TOMB mounts.

If anyone would care to share their thoughts on this I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if you have checked out the Lane cans or not. If I wasn’t going with a TBAC that would be my second choice. I’ve seen some of these around and I have to say they are very impressive.

Well, reasoning's a funny thing. I don't think the 5" can would provide enough suppression from what I've read. Given the weight of the 6" can from SAS that puts me to a 7" can. Going for a 7" can doesn't really seem like it's worth a grand to save 2" over the can that I already have, so I think I'm "canning" the suppressor purchase for now.

This is far too practical of a realization and completely out of character. Someone please help me spend my money...

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Surge is a bit heavy for my purposes.

I'll be sure to hit the gym.

Since you have one, I'd like to ask a question. When you change it from 7.5" to 9" or change the plates is the poi the same?

I've got 3 TBAC and one Rugged Obsidian and like them all. The Rugged floats between a 9mm, 22 and 300 blkout and the 3-TBACs are on either a 22, 6.5 and a 300 blkout. The Rugged is quick and easy to change from full to short - 6 to 8"