• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting started. Help me do it right

Kros

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2023
I'm trying to decide which barrel/bolt combo to purchase for my desert tech sra m2 to go to training with, develope my shooting skills, attend some training courses, etc. I like 308 for it's availability but also like the idea of 300 win mag because I already have a 308. But then again having the dies and interchangeability of two rifles for one ammo source if I buy factory ammo is nice too. I have the 338 Norma barrel/bolt combo already but I want to get something for in the meantime between now and when I have the space to setup for reloading.

I have the ability to go out 500 yards at my club but I dream of acquiring enough skill to make hits out to the limits of the Norma mag's ability. I am currently saving up for the ZC527 scope. Thoughts?

I am thinking 308 and in the 26" length to match the weight and balance of the 338 barrel I ultimately want to master in the future. The shorter barrel might be better though for doing local matches (friendly, not going for trophies, just experience).

Any recommendations for training in Washington state or withing driving distance?

Reactions: 338dude
Thanks for the Hat Creek Training suggestion. That looks like the kind of vacation I want to schedule. I watched a YouTube video about them after searching their name and it looks fantastic. And the drive to Idaho from Western Washington won't be too bad...I dont want to deal with checking my precious into baggage claim etc.

What would the feedback be between a 22" and 26" 308 barrel be? My rifle is pretty manageable with the 26" at an overall length of 37". I don't see the advantage of going over 22" besides having the same weight/balance as the primary barrel/caliber I bought the rifle for. Also, I haven't shot it yet so this is very preliminary but my dreams for the future are happening now. This will be a shooter. For developing skills at local competition and dialing in reloads with targets for the most part.

I'm trying to decide which barrel/bolt combo to purchase for my desert tech sra m2 to go to training with, develope my shooting skills, attend some training courses, etc. I like 308 for it's availability but also like the idea of 300 win mag because I already have a 308. But then again having the dies and interchangeability of two rifles for one ammo source if I buy factory ammo is nice too. I have the 338 Norma barrel/bolt combo already but I want to get something for in the meantime between now and when I have the space to setup for reloading.

I have the ability to go out 500 yards at my club but I dream of acquiring enough skill to make hits out to the limits of the Norma mag's ability. I am currently saving up for the ZC527 scope. Thoughts?

I am thinking 308 and in the 26" length to match the weight and balance of the 338 barrel I ultimately want to master in the future. The shorter barrel might be better though for doing local matches (friendly, not going for trophies, just experience).

Any recommendations for training in Washington state or withing driving distance?
In my opinion a 6.5 or similar would be a better choice for targets. The 308 is a decent choice but the 6.5 would do the same or further distance with better BC and less recoil. I ran a 28” 308 to 1,000 a few years back. But my 260 would beat that up for target use.

To get to the limits of the Norma would be subjective. As a 6.5 would score hits to a mile. But a 300 would do it better with more consistency

Or get a 223 setup for the 500 and in range. Then a 300 setup for further. 338 setup you have for the really far stuff which your probably least likely to shoot. That 6.5 would be a decent in between for a 223/300 gap with lots of ammo available and easy to load for

If you do go 308 the longer barrel will give you a bit more velocity. Won’t matter at 500 but when you get out a ways the velocity will really help avoiding the transonic range for a bit

Don’t start with a 300WM. If you really want to train, start with 308/6.5 and NO brake(assuming you’re taking prone training). Recoil is the ultimate trainer. You can shoot good groups with bad form but you’ll never control real recoil with bad form. Once you can manage 100% of that recoil go to something bigger.

Don’t start with a 300WM. If you really want to train, start with 308/6.5 and NO brake(assuming you’re taking prone training). Recoil is the ultimate trainer. You can shoot good groups with bad form but you’ll never control real recoil with bad form. Once you can manage 100% of that recoil go to something bigger.
Thanks for the recoil perspective.

I have the 338 already (just got it home) and for the practice I need that is not the ideal. I know :) BUT! I was inspired by new legislation in my state to get "one more" before it all kicks in and when the wife asked why 338? I said "robots" and she said OK...it was a crapshoot but it worked! I like the fact I can get more calibers without all the forthcoming violations of privacy now too. Kind of my plan from the get go after I got a yes (the primary objective).
The barrels/bolts aren't cheap though. I was thinking 308 for barrel life, ease of finding components, being a little slower than 6.5, and more practice with holdovers and windage compensation. I want to get out and use this beautiful thing. A lot. And I already have the reloading dies for 308.
Another thought I had was if I was going to get new reloading dies, etc, I ought to get the 300 win mag conversion and really have the whole spectrum of performanve and recoil covered. I have a Savage 308 that will learn me a lot and I can use the ZCO scope on it for a while and get used to it's functions and dialing it in (I am new to that too). This really is the start of my marksman's journey and a fun hobby.
I am big and fat. About 6-2 and 260 this month.
I really appreciate the learning how to manage recoils perspective that I hadn't considered before. It's ideas like that that are going to help me out a lot. Keep the ideas coming. I will reply with sharing where I'm coming from with my ideas, not to be argumentative. Just saying. It's hard to convey tone with a keyboard.

Thanks for the recoil perspective.

I have the 338 already (just got it home) and for the practice I need that is not the ideal. I know :) BUT! I was inspired by new legislation in my state to get "one more" before it all kicks in and when the wife asked why 338? I said "robots" and she said OK...it was a crapshoot but it worked! I like the fact I can get more calibers without all the forthcoming violations of privacy now too. Kind of my plan from the get go after I got a yes (the primary objective).
The barrels/bolts aren't cheap though. I was thinking 308 for barrel life, ease of finding components, being a little slower than 6.5, and more practice with holdovers and windage compensation. I want to get out and use this beautiful thing. A lot. And I already have the reloading dies for 308.
Another thought I had was if I was going to get new reloading dies, etc, I ought to get the 300 win mag conversion and really have the whole spectrum of performanve and recoil covered. I have a Savage 308 that will learn me a lot and I can use the ZCO scope on it for a while and get used to it's functions and dialing it in (I am new to that too). This really is the start of my marksman's journey and a fun hobby.
I am big and fat. About 6-2 and 260 this month.
I really appreciate the learning how to manage recoils perspective that I hadn't considered before. It's ideas like that that are going to help me out a lot. Keep the ideas coming. I will reply with sharing where I'm coming from with my ideas, not to be argumentative. Just saying. It's hard to convey tone with a keyboard.
The 338 with a good brake won’t be bad at all recoil-wise, just try to set up with nothing on either side of you so you don’t reflect concussion from the brake. You’ll learn a flinch really quickly like that if you don’t already have one. I think if you already have a 338 for the DT you’re wasting $ doing a 300WM. The two calibers are not really that different. Sure the 338 is more stout but there’s nothing the 300 will do that the 338 won’t do. Plus you’ll be buying a mag bolt and then will have to get another bolt if you want to go 6.5 or 308 as an everyday trainer. I’d get a standard 308 bolt to go 6.5/308 and then when you want to stretch it out throw on the 338. You could load it lighter if you want it to act more like a 300WM.

I can’t stress enough how helpful it is to learn to shoot the 308/6.5 with no brake before trying to shoot the bigger calibers a lot. A well braked 338 feels about like an unbraked 308 so learn to drive the rifle all the way through recoil and keep observing through the scope the entire time. A lot of guys have no idea they are momentarily blacking out during the trigger pull/recoil (trigger pull blackout I call it, a highly technical term). Learn to stay present throughout the recoil and watch it all happen. This is crucial to shooting big calibers well and making it fun.

Don't put a zco on a sa
The 338 with a good brake won’t be bad at all recoil-wise, just try to set up with nothing on either side of you so you don’t reflect concussion from the brake. You’ll learn a flinch really quickly like that if you don’t already have one. I think if you already have a 338 for the DT you’re wasting $ doing a 300WM. The two calibers are not really that different. Sure the 338 is more stout but there’s nothing the 300 will do that the 338 won’t do. Plus you’ll be buying a mag bolt and then will have to get another bolt if you want to go 6.5 or 308 as an everyday trainer. I’d get a standard 308 bolt to go 6.5/308 and then when you want to stretch it out throw on the 338. You could load it lighter if you want it to act more like a 300WM.

I can’t stress enough how helpful it is to learn to shoot the 308/6.5 with no brake before trying to shoot the bigger calibers a lot. A well braked 338 feels about like an unbraked 308 so learn to drive the rifle all the way through recoil and keep observing through the scope the entire time. A lot of guys have no idea they are momentarily blacking out during the trigger pull/recoil (trigger pull blackout I call it, a highly technical term). Learn to stay present throughout the recoil and watch it all happen. This is crucial to shooting big calibers well and making it fun.
Holy crap. I am definitely guilt of the blackout you speak of. Until you said it in that way I didn't realize it and now that I am conscious of it I realize that it was my main concern subconsciously without realizing it. Is there a way to address that specifically? I am humble. Where do I start to correct that before I send more downrange like that? Practice makes habit. I want to practice this out of my shots.

Don't put a zco on a savage
I am not above taht...puttimg the ZCO on my Savage. I also fart on first dates ;) I have a Meopta 1-6 on the Savage now which will be adequate at my local club. I got a group around .75" my last time out with it but it's capable of better.
I would like to take this chance to say WTF! Regarding the Meopta. The clicks are 1.5 MRAD each on this scope. Just a fair warning to anyone looking at them. At least the 1-6x model I bought from them. I like base ten number systems...but base ten and a half??? Again. Wtf

I am diving into research now. By that I mean YouTube and websites for now. I need some vectors to follow regarding books, online training, and in person training. To be up front: I know I have equipment I don't deserve at my skill level. I am at a point in my life I can afford things and I have decided this is where my elective spending money is going to go. I want to ba an above average Marksman that can take the 300 Norma out to 1-2k yards and hit milk jugs consistently. I am going to enjoy the journey and practice it takes to pursue that goal.

I am an inspector by trade that was in AP calculus when I dropped out of high school in the 90's. I work at a rocket company and have a strong understanding of GD&T and I love math and technical things in general. This is going to be a wonderful endeavor where I can control the entire process of planning, purchasing, production, inspection and test (reloading). Then I get to go to the range and pursue physical skills. This is a zen situation for me.

My experience is very limited at the rifle range. I have only been out 2-3 times shooting for groups at 100 yards since I got my Savage and I am ready to spend a lot more time there. At the same time I don't want to develope bad habits. Kind of like a new inspector can be better than an experienced one because no bad habits have been formed.

I realized from your responses that my main hurdle I wanted to overcome immediately was this "blackout" at trigger pull mentioned earlier. I didn't consciously know it until it was said like that. Thank you so much for that epiphany. Please suggest an educational regimen or options y'all would recommend for printed, online and in person options to educate myself in Washington state. I would drive a few states east or south for training, like the hat Creek one that was suggested, and I will initiate contact with the local PRS guys at my club as well. I think it might be a good idea for me to get some basics down before going to a class and what has been shared with me here is already going to help a lot.

I will might start a new thread in the future along the lines of "adopt a new shooter" to get suggestions for how to proceed most efficiently in my practice. I would post updates, milestones and experiences so the fruits of your input are shared.

Thanks for the huge help so far. Keep it coming and I will benefit for sure. Have a great week.

PS I have never really participated in forum activities before. I notice I posted a bunch of weird nothings earlier. That was my mistake. Threads from this forum kept coming up and had great content during my initial websearches so here I am.

The barrels/bolts aren't cheap though. I was thinking 308 for barrel life, ease of finding components, being a little slower than 6.5, and more practice with holdovers and windage compensation. I want to get out and use this beautiful thing. A lot.
Think about the contradictions this statement presents versus the caliber interests and available shooting distance in your first post.

If budget is any concern whatsoever and you want to shoot a lot, why on earth would you choose a magnum caliber? A .338LM at $5-7 PER ROUND(factory)? And you want to use it - a lot? So .300 WinMag is maybe half the price (at least get .300 PRC - a round that was designed this century for distance shooting) but still - if cost is a concern and you want to shoot a lot, a magnum caliber is the antithesis of "cheap."

Already got a .308? Great. Shoot it.

Want to shoot a lot and you have convenient access to a 500 yard range? You really should consider .223. Long barrel life similar to a .308, handload match-grade ammo for a dollar or less per round. I regularly engage targets at 1000 yards with mine (75gr ELDM at 2800-2900fps) - 500 yards is a cake walk; last time I had it out was a calm day and I was putting rounds on a 3" KYL plate at 500 meters (meters, not yards). One does indeed have to know how to read wind, especially if one uses the superbly accurate but light 69grain SMK or similar.

I personally don't understand the preoccupation some people have with "learning to control recoil" by shooting heavier bullets. Yes, recoil management matters in competition - which is why the PRS world shoots bunny-fart 6mm rounds. Why "learn to control recoil" when the easiest thing to do is get rid of it? Is it not more important to put rounds on target than "control recoil?" Is it not more conducive to building expertise by shooting small rounds more than shooting monster rounds less?

If the interest in owning and shooting magnum calibers just "because I want a magnum" is a major part of the decision, fine. But that flies against the statements concerning cost and shooting a lot. A decent .223 checks off all your boxes except "recoil management." It's just not as "manly" as a booming magnum. Pfft. If I had to give up all my rifles but one, I'd keep either my Vudoo or RimX .22 - damn hard decision - and be done with handloading altogether.