• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Getting started in PRS....

riverrat13

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2017
Newbern, TN
I fell down in this rabbit hole about two years ago, and I just keep digging myself deeper and deeper. I finally feel comfortable enough in my abilities that feel ready for the next step and I want to try out a match. I have never been to any Precision Rifle match, PRS or the like.

I would like to go and check out a match in person to just watch and learn before I jump in blind. I have found the larger PRS matches, but how does everyone find out about the "local" matches that take place? I am located in the Charleston, SC area, and would be willing to drive 6 or so hours for a match.

Does anyone have any pointers for someone looking into their first match?

Thanks for the help in advance.

First off- just sign up for one of the local matches and shoot it. don't just go watch - 15 minutes in and you'll regret it. unless you have a match super close to you, you'll regret driving all that way just to watch. But definitely go to the local club matches!

Everyone there will be extremely nice and helpful and let you borrow and try different bags and gear.

secondly - read through this thread that we are having right now. i think it'll be helpful.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...eeded-to-be-competitive.6915769/#post-7389331

show up, have fun. ask questions, and learn as much as you can.

First off- just sign up for one of the local matches and shoot it. don't just go watch - 15 minutes in and you'll regret it. unless you have a match super close to you, you'll regret driving all that way just to watch. But definitely go to the local club matches!

Everyone there will be extremely nice and helpful and let you borrow and try different bags and gear.

secondly - read through this thread that we are having right now. i think it'll be helpful.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...eeded-to-be-competitive.6915769/#post-7389331

show up, have fun. ask questions, and learn as much as you can.

Thanks! I have been following that thread. Lots of great info.

I think I have the bare minimum for gear. I have a 6mm Creedmoor and 6.5 Creedmoor both of which shoot 1/4 MOA or better when I do my part. My 6.5 is a one hole gun, still working on my load in the 6mm. I have a Game Changer Bag. Tripod with Pig Saddle. Atlas PRS bipod. Rangefinder. Kestrel.

I have solid dope out to 800, but that is the max my range allows.

I have foraged the internet, but I have not found any local matches. I think Wheaton Arms over in Clinton, SC has matches, but they don't have anything posted for 2019 yet.

most of the club matches won't post until roughly a month or so ahead of time. so just keep you eyes peeled.

how far are you from Warrenton, NC?

Yea I just found them when you mentioned Warrenton. Doesn't appear they have anything scheduled just yet. I will keep my eyes open for an early spring match to attend.

Thanks for the help.

Yea I just found them when you mentioned Warrenton. Doesn't appear they have anything scheduled just yet. I will keep my eyes open for an early spring match to attend.

Thanks for the help.

they have a two day match Feb 23-24th. although I do admit that might be a little much for a "first time match". if you have facebook or instagram, follow them and look at for match announcements

yes, just bring what you have to a match and shoot it. don't think i've met anyone yet who just spectated and wasn't disappointed, or who showed up and shot and wasn't glad they jumped in. at each stage let them know you're a first (or 2nd or 3rd) timer and most if not all will gladly help you out with advice and gear.

at the end of the day, there is nothing earth-shattering going on. instead of sitting at your bench at your local range with a bipod or front bag and rear bag and a perfect rest, punching tiny groups, you'll be sitting, standing, kneeling, leaning, prone, sideways and you'll have to use logs, barricades, vehicles, barrels, fence posts, etc as front and/or back rests for your rifle and will need to improvise rear and front rests as applicable. watch a few videos to get a general idea of what's going on and what to expect (as far as shooting positions). also, some of the larger matches (ie 2 day) open up the day before to check your zero and even get dope and a good opportunity to check things out.

Great thread.

Thanks for the links.

Looks like there's a match near me (2 hours 45 minutes away) in April!

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I just started in this sport last year. The guys in this sport are the most helpfully people ive ever met. The absolute best thing you can do is jump in and go for it. If you are asking questions and having fun guys will definitely help you. Most of these guys were in the same boat. They'll let you use their equipment so you know what to look for and see how it works. Jump in and go for it. No one ever has everything they want or need, we all squad together and use eachothers stuff.

I did my first match several months ago, I had previously shot at the same range which goes out to a mile, I had hits out to 1200yds that day and had never even shot further than 300 before that day. When I went to the match all I took was my rifle and ammo, everyone there was great and let me use bags and mats and helped out with windage from their readings and all, like others said just go sign up and get it done after that you’ll be hooked I’m doing my next one this coming weekend and can’t wait. Good luck