• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

getting started in rimfire

Coyotejunki

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I have been shooting centerfires for many years, but now I am getting into rimfires. I just bought a Bergara B14R, and a Athlon scope. I luckily have some ammo. Usually with a centerfire, I will bed the action, freefloat the barrel, clean the bore then work up a load. Do I need to do anything to the Bergara? I think I will jst use the factory trigger for now, after lightening it up perhaps. Do I need to clean the barrel, break in. Give me some pointers. I have heard some say shoot it until accuracy drops then clean it.

What do you guys say?

Just getting one myself and wondered the same thing. Do you need to break in the barrel for best accuracy? If yes, what method?

I'm pretty firmly in the camp of this (I own...probably 20 .22s, and this applies to most of them).

1. I clean them when function or accuracy degrades. It's almost always function before accurary with my autoloaders (a couple Buckmarks need to be cleaned well every few hundred rounds. Really well). I WILL do obvious things like gently scraping crud out of the bolt face/etc as I notice it. I'm not a monster.
2. A boresnake will do 95% of what you need as far as barrel maintenance goes. I've put many thousands of rounds through my .22s and have yet to see where this isn't true.
3. I clean the barrel on a new rifle to ensure there's no weirdness in it. I also follow the MFR recommendations for field stripping/cleaning to ensure the action is lubricated per their instructions. Then I use it. I don't break in barrels. Especially on a .22, there isn't enough velocity/drag/etc for the leads to do a whole lot to a barrel. If you wanna get nuts you could use some bore paste if you're into that sort of thing. I have no experience there.

Bergara specific (I have a B14r with probably 3-5k rounds through it at this point):
1. I cleaned it with special attention to the barrel. Oiled it, lightened the trigger up (i think you just take off the stock and there's a screw) and was good to go.
Barrel/chassis fit is really good. I haven't messed with bedding it, and I don't feel like I'd gain a lot - nor do I believe it's recommended as it has an aluminum spine/connection system in the chassis. SK Rifle match shoots about .75moa at 100 yards for me.

My cleaning regimen for my target rifle is a patch, with a little bit of solvent, a dry patch, and a very lightly oiled patch every 1000 - 2000 rounds or so. Whenever accuracy degrades and the scores start dropping. The bore snake method mentioned above is also surprisingly common among 3P competitors. A good barrel with good ammo really doesn't get that dirty.

As for break in, my only break in on any barrel I've owned is to take it out and shoot it. I've never gone through one of the ritualistic break in procedures some people swear by, and never felt I've had a rifle underperform because of it. This is probably sacrilege to some, but hey its my rifle.

My B14R has 1100 rounds down it now. It shoots SK Rifle Match the best, but CCI Standards shoot quite well.

I cleaned and lubed it all good before shooting. I use a Bore Snake after each shooting session/ range trip. I also do this before a match and shoot 10-20 rounds during the site in period before a match as well.

I really noticed my issues when it was below 30* and shooting. Sticky bolt, Tighter chamber. Just overall tightness and sluggishness in the action. I'm not 100% sure how to combat this, but I did take the bolt apart and fully clean the chamber, Action and Bolt assembly and lube with Lucas very lightly. I cleaned with Balistol and CLP. My Bore Tech products have not been delivered yet.

Keep a round count log in you note book, Phone Notes or something so you have a reference point to when issues arise. I note it by Date & Rounds fired. I don't track rounds of each type ammo fired, however when the Vudoo gets here that is probably something I will do with it.

Other than that enjoy the Sweet Rifle it is and talk to others at the NRL22 Matches you will be going to. I have not meat anyone not willing to help someone out at a match. If they don't help their a dick anyways!!!!

Reactions: Natureman
I cleaned mine when I got it. the barrel packed with something brown. I just started shooting it. It took about 300 rounds to really start shooting very well. I put a Trigger Tech Diamond in it. Great trigger. When I change ammo, fire a few round until it starts to group, 10 to 15 rounds.
Mark

Reactions: Natureman
I only added a Timney Calvin Elite Two Stage trigger, and replaced the factory stock with a KRG Bravo. The factory trigger doesn't get light enough and I hate a curved trigger.

I will clean and lubricate the bolt/moving surfaces of the gun after each outing, but I won't clean the barrel. I did run a few patches though it when I first got it...solvent, dry, lightly oiled...just to remove any packing grease/oils.

Reactions: Defender32