• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting Started in Tactical Competitions

Salmo22

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Arizona
I've shot competitive benchrest (NBRSA) for several years. My son and I also do a bunch of coyote hunting. We live/play in the metro Phoenix area.

<span style="font-weight: bold">How do we get started in tactical competitive shooting? </span>

We are not military or law enforcement. Just a couple of guys that love to hunt and shoot. We think the tactical competitions look like a ton of fun and would be very challenging.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Is there a national organization tactical competitions?

Are there particular rules or regulations we could review?

What are the basics?</span>

We've watched a couple of podcasts (thanks Mike @ CS Tactical) to get a general idea of what happens at one of these matches; however, we still have a bunch of questions. I noted that we missed a recent competition in Phoenix and could have attended to see what is happening. In the meantime, I'm trying to recon and much info as possible. Any comments, suggestions or help getting started in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Getting Started in Tactical Competitions

I'm fairly new my self and had the same questions, best thing I can tell you is just go shoot. All the matches that I've been to everyone there was very helpful and I made a lot of new friends. Its the best way to learn, and trust me, you wont be the only new guy I'm sure.

Good luck man
Justin

Just like Dallas12 said. Get out and shoot. The cool thing about the tactical/practical game is no two comps are the same. Everyone has their own ideas on how a match should be done so no two of them are exactly the same. Keeps me from getting bored!!

Go over the the range at Rio Salado / Usery Pass. They hold a ton of matches there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go over the the range at Rio Salado / Usery Pass. They hold a ton of matches there. </div></div>
Thanks Hoser. Rio Salado is less than 10 miles from my house. I did not know they held tactical competitions there - very interesting.

I myself am also relatively new to the long range and tactical rifle game. I use to shoot sporting clays a lot. I think the best advise has already been given. Go out,shoot a match and have fun. Dont worry about watching one first just do it. Everyone will be very helpful and answer any questions that you have. There is a lot to be learned about this style of shooting. Since you are a bencrester you should have a good idea how to read the wind and mirage. That is most of the battle.