• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Reading the wind is one of the bedrock skills of long-range shooting. It, along with range estimation and good firing technique, make up the foundation of long-range precision shooting, the base upon which nearly all advanced skills build.

In days past, making wind calls was as much art as skill, and it could only be learned by doing it. You made a guess, fired a shot, watched where it hit, and used that information to correct your estimate—rinse and repeat, until your guesses become consistent.

Luckily for modern shooters, we now have tools available to us that make this process quite a bit easier, although there is still a bit of a learning curve. A good wind meter takes much of the guesswork out of your wind calls and provides you with the information you need to true your ballistic calculator, hold for wind properly, and land more hits.

Wind Meters: What They Do and How They Work...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
    I don’t shoot long-range, but I’m interested in better understanding the fundamentals. I don’t quite understand the values on the chart beneath the wind direction. I have very little formal rifle training. Where should I begin my reading to grasp the fundamentals of long-range shooting and reading wind?

Reactions: PryorExteriors
    I don’t shoot long-range, but I’m interested in better understanding the fundamentals. I don’t quite understand the values on the chart beneath the wind direction. I have very little formal rifle training. Where should I begin my reading to grasp the fundamentals of long-range shooting and reading wind?
    While this guys video may not cover wind reading some of his other video's do. Understanding your scope and how to use it and understanding MOA vs MILRAD is a fundamental, it's a long video but if you watch it you will walk away with a much better undersatnding of these fundamentals.