• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Getting Started

jmtyndall

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2010
Washington
So I've been reloading plinking and hunting ammo for my ar for a while now, and I just put my money down for a savage 10 in .223. Until I start to get better, and can afford a barrel that isn't 1:9 twist I plan to shoot 100-300 yards, so there's not much point in developing a really long range load just yet, but I'm wondering how I figure out what bullet my gun will like best? I've done my reading and have decided that I will probably try 69SMK, Horn 68 HPBT, Horn 75 HPBT and 75 Amax. Is it a waste to use the 75's if I'm only going to be shooting 100-600 yards? In regards to wind, is it better to use the lighter bullet and gain some velocity or a heavier one for the higher BC?

Once I buy the bullets, do I just have to shoot a ladder test for each one, pick a load, then shoot those loads with all 4 bullets against each other, smallest group wins?