• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Getting the kid on a bird.....

Tunanut

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2010
Lake Norman
It's been a couple years since I've been able to bring my boy turkey hunting, but tomorrow that gunna change. Youth day here in NC and we're going. I found that I get a much greater trill watching his reactions when a bird responds than I do killing one myself. He and I talked this one in for his first bird a few years ago. Hard to explain to him at the time that turkey hunting will likely be downhill after getting this one.

DSCN1487.jpg

DSCN1491.jpg

Will be doing some load development after hunting and testing out the new Bushnell 6x24 Tactical. I also loaded some low recoil 7mm08's for his rifle, we'll see how he does with them and how they shoot. It's been raining for a few days out here, going to be a muddy fun mess I'll bet. I've not been this excited in a while!

Re: Getting the kid on a bird.....

Getting ready to do the same tomorrow here too. Got two monsters living out back and just watched the one out in a field for 30 mins strutting around a lone hen. This guy is the jr bird compared to the big one but he does have a huge beard and nice long WHITE, yes, white, spurs.

Hoping to put my son on one tomorrow as he has only tagged along on a few morning hunts last year, so first year he will get to try pulling the trigger.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very cool! a few more weeks and my 6 year old and i will be in kansas!</div></div>

Thinking of going this yr, would be my 6 yr old's 1st time out turkey hunting. We go in the Salina area, what about you?

Awesome, My 10 yr. old girl wants to go so bad this youth season here in Missouri. I am trying to find a Mossy bantam 500 20ga. right now to suit the need. Congrats to your youngin and I hope he bags another.

Holy cow that looks like a big bird - those spurs are incredible. I will be headed out with my 10 yo son this weekend over here in Arizona. Can't wait. His first turkey hunt.

Unfortunatly it was a windy day that made for tough calling. It was still a good time with my boy. Around 11 a fellow member showed up to help set our new target on our range. My boy got to shoot his 7mm-08 out to 300, hitting a 8"x10" steel using mil dot holds consistantly. Using my rifle he had no problem busting the 500yrd steel, but he said shooting skeet with the 20gauge was his favorite. He was a little intimated by Wiskeyweber's 1911. On our way home he told me how much fun he had even though we didn't get a bird and asked me if I though mom would let us go two weekends in a row. We can only hope, I replied.