• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Gettysburg on The History Channel

socalsheepdog

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2010
Socal
Did anyone catch this? I was able to watch the first half last night and thought it was excellent. The HD broadcast looked great. Very moving scene when a dozen Union soldiers were killed trying to keep the Stars and Strips flying and moving forward. Worth the time to watch, I am sure they will replay it a few more times.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OwNJS8dwkYs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OwNJS8dwkYs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Gettysburg on The History Channel

It was not bad actually. They gave some time to the Iron Brigade and Barksdales Mississippians. Those guy's get overlooked alot.Going in I figure it was gonna be how great Chamberland and the 20th of Maine were,and they were but it's nice to see about some of the rest. That jackass Sickles got the treatment he deserved, that was good too.

Except that the terrain on the program doesn't look anything like the real Gettysburg. Also, there were a lot more brick buildings in town than are being shown. Picky picky picky.

Everytime I go there I wonder what would have happened to this country if the south would have won the day.

I spent a couple of days there with a good friend of mine a couple of years ago. He lives in Emmitsburg, MD., which is only 12 miles away from Gettysburg. He knew that battlefield in detail. Don't recall how many he said but he had relatives in that battle.

It was quite sobering for me to sit on a boulder at Little Round Top and gaze upon the killing fields where thousands died in the "Cauldron" and as many in the "Devils Den" and then on north (IIRC) to the "Wheat Field" and of course, "Pickets Charge." I am still quite taken back.....

It is indeed "hallowed ground."

Just remember it is Seminary ridge, not cemetary!
I climbed on the rocks at Little Round Top.
30+ years ago.

MK you are right.
Very moving.

Do they still have that certain brass canon?

TC

My friend tells me that the Park Service has the battleground very close to the way it was during the battle (ie: brush, trees, undergrowth, etc.). For him some of the battle didn't make any sense until the Park Service cleared the new growth out.

It does now....so he says.

The museum is massive and takes a while just to go through it much less let some of it soak in. I hope a second visit is in order in the near future. One thing that did stick out to me was the fact that the cannon balls weren't balls at all. I'm sure some balls were used but what I saw there was conical shaped projectiles and they were reported to be very accurate.

Not sure about the brass cannon of which you speak.

The smoothbores were ball or canister. The conicals were out of rifled gun's like James Rifles and such. They were very accurate.Alot of the weapons from that era are extremely accurate.They even had fuses that would air burst

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayhawker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just remember it is Seminary ridge, not cemetary!
I climbed on the rocks at Little Round Top.
30+ years ago.

MK you are right.
Very moving.

Do they still have that certain brass canon?

TC </div></div>

Seminary Ridge is to the west of town and were the Confederate lines... Cemetery Ridge is to the east and were the Union lines... </div></div>