• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GGWG, go fund me heads up

Dewey7271

Boring old bastard
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2014
    Central Ohio
    Tucker, if inappropriate, feel free to delete.
    All.
    Sorry for the longer post but some of you may be affected also.
    I mentioned previously I had issues with go fund me in the past. In the vein of screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me; this is a shame on me.
    I contributed to the latest Good Guys With Guns yesterday. Did the Go Fund Me using one of my business debit cards. Swore I wouldn’t do Go Fund Me again. Luckily that business account I keep a fairly low balance in.
    To make a long story short, I checked my various accounts this morning as I do frequently.
    Two fraudulent charges totaling approximately 4K.
    Received a call from that bank 20 minutes later. Their fraud dept. They saw the activity and called. 5 attempted debits in 4 minutes. 2 went through. Only reason the others didn’t is the account ran out of money.
    Did the whole dispute the charges routine and paperwork so maybe it’ll work out.
    My reason for the post is any of you did the same, better check your accounts.

Edit: lost track of the main point, sorry. That debit card had not been used in over three weeks. Only use was the Go Fund Me.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bender
    Thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear ya got hit.

Are you sure that is had anything to do with go-fund-me?
    Wife just had her card compromised last month. Prior to last year we only ever had one card for both of us.
    Our main account (now the one i use) has been compromised 6 times in the last 8 years.
    I wouldn't say I am ultra-security, but we never use the same password for any account. Also all passwords at least 10 characters (home wifi is 32 characters).
    I will say my CC company has a damn good algorithm and knows my spending habits.
    2 years ago on vacation in Hawaii I get a text from them about a possible fraudulent charge. I instantly called and talked to them.
    Someone tried to purchase $1 of fuel from a gas station in Texas 13 seconds later someone tried the same in Alabama.
    They stated they were pretty sure we were in Hawaii since we used the card to book the trip. Also something like 800 miles between the purchases, at bassicly the same moment.
    He didn't want to give up much more on their security. He did assure me it wasn't anything I was doing. They couldn't track it to a security breach somewhere.
    He said there are just people out there who use computers to crank out numbers. The first 6-8 numbers identify either visa, MasterCard, Discover and the bank. So the first 8 digits of my card are the same for all thier customers. All they have to do is make-up 8 more digits. There are so many cards out there that just pulling numbers out of their ass there is about a 90% chance of them getting a good number. At least that was his claim. The number on the front of the card is not the hard part.
    The crooks just have to then try a few times to get your CCV # and/or your zip code. He claimed there is software on the dark web that will crank out number until it gets a match.
    2018 we got another card for vacation. Purely because when we were in Hawaii and the card was shut down it put us on egde a little. I took cash for most the trip but knowing we did not have the card for back up for 4 more days was a little unsettling.
    If anyone knows better please speak up.

Good point 2a.
    I don’t know. Just figured that was the only use in three weeks then , bam, it shows up that night. You’re correct in that I made an assumption which may be incorrect.
    I just figured it was something that if I’m incorrect on, I’ll take the hit, but figured just in case any of you guys got hit or if it lets someone check and find a bad charge, then it was worth it. ( man, talk about a run-on sentence)

He claimed there is software on the dark web that will crank out number until it gets a match.
    If anyone knows better please speak up.

This is 100% correct. It’s so prevalent you don’t even have to be using tor to find it.

Good point 2a.
    I don’t know. Just figured that was the only use in three weeks then , bam, it shows up that night. You’re correct in that I made an assumption which may be incorrect.
    I just figured it was something that if I’m incorrect on, I’ll take the hit, but figured just in case any of you guys got hit or if it lets someone check and find a bad charge, then it was worth it. ( man, talk about a run-on sentence)
    We all appreciate the warning, never hurts. Just wanted to pass along another option, hopefully to make others aware also. It is us vs them.

Reactions: Dewey7271
    Quick update.
    Didn’t find exactly where the leak occurred.
    Bank investigated and guess it was bogus in their eyes. Money replaced in my account a month later. So I guess all’s we’ll even if I lost the use of the money for a month. Maybe kept me from buying more stuff, who knows?

Waking up this thread for an updated, need for help.

Reactions: THEIS