• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Ghillie do, ghillie don't?

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
I see a lot of references to ghillies, but outside the military; do people use them a lot? Inquiring minds want to know.

Personally, I am intrigued by the entire concept.

But also see enough drawbacks (fire hazard, drowning hazard, hypothermia hazard) that I seriously wonder whether they are worth the time, effort, and maybe even discomfort involved in their construction and use.

So, aside from the cool factor, who's actually using them?

Greg

Re: Ghillie do, ghillie don't?

hmmm seems this question has been put forward before. beginning to make me paranoid but alas ill respond anyway, bold one i am.lol. i think ghillies are a little too uncomfortable for normal sporting uses. ive heard of them being used for turkey hunting or callin coyotes, but the one i made up is really hot and itchy so i use a 3d leaf type suit like can be found at cabelas or even walmart carries now in sporting goods. these are pretty decent camo to fool turkeys...feathered and otherwise i suspect. these may even have a military application but a well done ghillie is superior if one must "become" landscape. the best use ive found for my ghillie is scaring young and old alike at halloween.

ive been wanting to make a ghillie for a little bit. but ive been asking myself the same type of questions. what and when would i really use it? why would i need one? new york hunting laws(at least where i will be hunting) requires you to wear an orange vest or something along those lines. so a ghillie, even properly constructed, is pointless. and i dont think that bright orange blends in with any hunting landscape. unless youre at a night club, but thats not the kind of hunting im talking about... so all that considered, i havent made one yet. but i think alot of the guys that arent actual snipers make them for the "tacticool" factor. i myself am not a sniper, military or LE, thats why i said "i think".

I made one and figured on using it for calling coyotes. Calling coyotes just doesn't seem to be a serious enough situation to endure the itchiness and other drawbacks. It looks cool though hanging in the garage.
cool.gif

Yup built mine and I use it whenever I can I go out and dostalksjust with myself to practice movment. But I were it shooting I'd make one just to have one if I were you you never know what might happen.

hmmmmm... never know what could happen... maybe when the mall ninja rise up against the people, i could go on an all out man hunt with my ghillie... LOL... just kidding. i dont have a use for one, so i dont need to make one. maybe later on down the road ill change my mind and build one for the hell of it. who knows?

I am outside the military now but I still wear it sometimes on casual Fridays and for official ceremonies. Also, when I hunt pen raised trophy animals or get my bow out to hunt turtle. Sometimes, if the moon is right, I'll wear it while resting on my hammock and listening to the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" and writing haikus in my mind. Only during cold months though. Back in March, a neighbor had this big flag flying in his yard that said, "Erin Go Braugh." I have no idea why, but something compelled me to put one of my ghillie suits on and sit under that flag for several hours. I was quite drunk, granted, but the neighbor came out and was thrilled to sing Danny Boy all the way through several times with me...

1zqfsld.jpg

In my state you can actually use it for hunting purposes, deer(archery/crossbow only b/c orange is required when firearm hunting deer), ive used it to hunt coyote, groundhog etc.
I have had deer come as close as 1 yard away while laying prone (i was using a crossbow and a video camera), I even had a small yearling doe try to nible at the leaves of a tree I was under. And I have a great video of a 8 pt. buck walking out into a field of soybean just 3 yards to my left, then stopping and looking at me bobbing his head and then moving out into the field to feed, all as I lay prone filming him from the brushy edge of the field.
Ghillie's are great for laying along crop fields such as corn & soybean, just a few feet into the brushy growth where treestands arent easily deployed.
Ive hunted this way with and without the ghillie on and I will say using the ghillie is much MUCH more effective. As most hunters will tell you ground hunting for deer can be tough to be successful at.
Besides isnt "Ghillie" a Scottish word for hunter or poacher anyway? Snipers took this concept from the scottish hunters/poachers of the past didnt they?

Woods, you are right. I'll wear a partial (smock) for turkey in a few days because I won't do a lot of movement...unless I find a nice hill. The ballistic nylon I put on the front allows me to pick up some nice speed in the downhill prone...

Head and shoulder coverage is nice to have for a number of situations, whether it be tactical or hunting related. Breaks up your outline, but is minimal and can be stowed pretty easy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillie Zen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Head and shoulder coverage is nice to have for a number of situations, whether it be tactical or hunting related. Breaks up your outline, but is minimal and can be stowed pretty easy. </div></div>
People are going to ask you to print decals soon. That shit sounds scientific....

decoys.jpg

this is pretty much what i hunt turkeys and coyotes in, much lighter than a ghillie suit.

3-d type suits get knocked alot for durability, but to be honest, if you aren't low crawling with 'em, they hold up pretty well. The actual concealment properties of the 3-d suits are pretty effective. Some built in veg. retention bands would be nice. Never seen a 3-d model with that feature yet.....

3-d suits are synthetic, so they have good water resistance and are very lightweight. A definate advantage over traditional jute...

Despite those advantages, I still stick with natural textures. Nothing beats the look of a ratted-up jute ghillie that has been dragged through the mud a few times.....

if you want those veggie straps, why dont you just sew some into one? too far fetched?

There's nothing "far fetched" about that idea at all. In fact, it's a great idea. However, the point was that it'd be nice to have the straps inplace at the time of purchase. Not everyone has the time, skill or equipment necessary to properly sew each individual veg strap on or the funds to have a pro do it for them.

i made a ghillie about a month ago, they work great but i overheat, thinking of integrating a camelpak under the BDU

Personally, I think the most effective use for a ghillie suit is for when the Daughter's boyfriend brings her home from that date, and about a minute into the goodnight kiss, Dad comes puffing up te driveway in a ghillie, rifle at port arms, wheezing out, "Wow, almost lost you guys back there at that last turn, must be getting old...".

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup built mine and I use it whenever I can I go out and dostalksjust with myself to practice movment. </div></div>

BWAHHHHAHA! Dude THAT is a Family outing I gotta see.

Your Wife on the back of your lifted 72 Ford pick up in a lawn chair, brest feeding and observing the stalk lane through bino's

Your kid walking around the field with a wal-mart walkie talkie playing the part of the walker

and you, slowy trying to creep within 200 and bust a 10

"Aire Jr! Run over there to the left! NO your other left you moron!" Cried momma from the back of the pick up, crushing a PBR can on her thigh. "Yes um, I'm a goin!" responded the bare footed boy as hey ran across the field. "Sumbbitch" grumbled black6 unders his breath. "Stop right there Aire!" came momma's voice from GI Joe walkie talkie, bringing the boy to a stop. Next momma instructed the boy: "2 steps forward, half a step left, baby step forward, stop! Pig at your feet?" "Yes um" replied the boy on the walkie talkie. Momma rebel yell of victory could be heard across the valley. The boy looked down at the clump of grass and twigs and said "Daddy, you's been busted.... again"

Seriously, how do you practice stalking by yourself? Do you sneek up on the girl scout showers and if you don't get caught you bust a 10?

Damn I love you people! The shit you write down is fucking hilarious!

There I've done it again... ruined someones day.. all day long he'll be pissed off... "That fucking Rogue7a"

My wife was nagging at me the other day to take the kids (ages 4,4 & 6) outside & play with them.......so........I put my suit on and went outside & hid in the wooded area behind our backyard. The kids had a blast running all around trying to find "daddy"!!

The wifey thought it was pretty fun too......

that seals the deal I gotta make one now, my girls are 2, 10 and 12yo they'd love it

Hello, I had made a contact about a month ago with a guy on here who makes custom Ghillie suits and was wondering if anyone has some feeback if you could PM me or let me know who it might have been? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I think the most effective use for a ghillie suit is for when the Daughter's boyfriend brings her home from that date, and about a minute into the goodnight kiss, Dad comes puffing up te driveway in a ghillie, rifle at port arms, wheezing out, "Wow, almost lost you guys back there at that last turn, must be getting old...".

Greg </div></div>

Oh this is a great use for a ghillie. My daugther is too young to date now, but I will make this happen. Thank you sir.

Yeah, well; the Granddaughter is pushing 12 now. Might drop a suggestion with her Dad...