• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ghillie Netting question... Pease Help

bwatson8541

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2009
Baytown Texas
Ive been out of the corps a few years now and have decided to make another Ghillie suit. i figure it will be nice getting to actually take my time with it and use a sewing machine.

We all know just how time consuming this process is, so i would like to avoid errors and get everything the way i like it the first time.

I like to use Hammock netting because it is big and allows for lots of veg to be inserted quickly and easily.

My Questions is, has anybody found any advantages in the orientation of the netting (Example) Squares up and down the back or tilted like Diamonds up and down the Back.

I Figure collectively on this site we have about a million man hours spent Ghillie construction experience. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Ghillie Netting question... Pease Help

Six a one, half dozen of the other. Orientation doesnt matter.

are you planning to stitch it out semi stretched or so the loops have a bunch of slack for stuff in veg?
i'd probably go diamond personally so things tend naturally to come out on an angle is opposed to sideways and vertically especially on the shoulder and upper back area.

Most times I lay it out in the diamond and sew the netting a little lose to stretch with the body,but then again I'm way to much of a perfectionist on building a suit thats only going to end up in the dirt...

I plan on stiching it loose, i think im going to go with the dimond. ive done it that way with my last two and never had a problem with it, just thinking about changing it up.

also my wifes sewing machine is not strong enough for the fabrick i am using so it looks like im back to doing it all by hand.
frown.gif

whatever you do make sure you shoe glue all seams and after the glue dries be sure to spray paint the glue, very common mistake as the glue will give off a shine, not ginormous of an amount but still a target indicator none the less, also try 550 cord around 5-8" depending on veg these make quick easy tie downs for veg to be done and undone, remember ghillie is the base not the sole camo

Don't forget to use some fire retardant on the project when you are done. We tested how quickly a non treated Ghillie suite would burn once when I was in Iraq. With just a few sparks, it was flame on man.

No recomendations on orientation, however I use 1" x 1" netting....

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

whatever you do make sure you shoe glue all seams and after the glue dries be sure to spray paint the glue, very common mistake as the glue will give off a shine, not ginormous of an amount but still a target indicator none the less, also try 550 cord around 5-8" depending on veg these make quick easy tie downs for veg to be done and undone, remember ghillie is the base not the sole camo

I had pretty good luck spraying the Shoe Goo with paint when it was still wet. The paint seems to blend with the outer layer of the Shoe Goo and will probably hold up better than if it is sprayed onto the glossy surface after it dries.