• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Ghillie pics plz!!!

Callum LRshot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2008
Australia
i would just like to see pics of your ghilles or ones that you have found on net and if you coulse i'd like to know what u used or how you made it.

thank you

Re: Ghillie pics plz!!!

I look like a dork b/c I just received it when this photo was taken (Circa 2003 or 2004)...

BDU's, webbing, and burlap/jute.

Romad on WCT built this for me actually....Interesting because I was thinking of pulling it ouit of the attic and putting some drag on it (behind a vehicle) and maybe getting some photos of it this spring..

ghillie2.jpg

My young son is facinated with 'The Weedmen', so made him a little something last weekend. Then we went over to Grandmas garden for a little hide and seek.

Hide and seek

Picture010.jpg

You need to get off the damn Internet and help yo-mama clean up the "garden"! At least after the weedman has had his way with every inch of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to get off the damn Internet and help yo-mama clean up the "garden"! At least after the weedman has had his way with every inch of it. </div></div>

That is winter habitat for the birds and Momma would kick my ass if I got out the weedeater!

Here is a suit I put together. I got the compenents for Triad Tactical.Used Grass and a little jute. The grass can be painted to fit your areas colors. I used a Corba hood. The pants I just bought a the army surplus and glue neating to it. Then tied on the grass. It takes some time but worth it to build your own.

IMG_0457.jpg

shooting019.jpg

shooting020.jpg

shooting016.jpg

Here are a few of my 3pc Ghillie I built not too long ago. Excuse the mud, I was crawlin'
smile.gif

CIMG1418.jpg

CIMG1419.jpg

going well guys thanks for the pics there all really good, i would like them to kee comming =P

thank you

Well this is my attempt at some winter Ghillie

40b-days184.jpg

40b-days191.jpg

took a lot more pics but the person shooting them diden't realise the camera was focusing on the bushes in front....I will get more on my Dog hunt next weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: warlock76</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the suit me and my son made for hallows eve last year.

001.jpg

009.jpg

</div></div>

I'm no ghillie suit expert but shouldn't that suit be posted in the "Let's see some beards" thread?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: warlock76</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the suit me and my son made for hallows eve last year.

001.jpg

009.jpg

</div></div>

I'm no ghillie suit expert but shouldn't that suit be posted in the "Let's see some beards" thread?</div></div>

So you really have nothing to contribute?

WAR lock. I don't think he does. The number of ghillie suit collectors here is not so large. I think they make for great pictures though, and encourage all of you kids to create one. For one, it impresses the ladies. For two, it allows you to protect the manor by preventing poachers from visiting upon your game...

well what do we think ??
bear in mind i still need to crawl thru some mud and brush
to break it in.....thanks

as is shown by the variety of ideas on ghillies on this thread, there is more than one way to make one. i'll get some pics up but im seeing a trend of extremely long jute that only gets caught on veg leaving trgt indicators and causing overhead movement and noise. remember a ghillie isnt supposed to look like a bush, its supposed to break up your human outline and blend into the negative space. thats why ffp selection is so important. my basic guiding principle on ghillie construction is light and extremely durable. balancing those two things is hard. but if you go out to shoot some face with a hundred pound sweat suit on you wont be able to carry enough water to live. mil snipers know what im talking about (800yrd + stalk lanes) and lets not forget on a live mission, where are you going to store that sleeping bag sized ghillie? less jute more onsite veg.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casca6actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as is shown by the variety of ideas on ghillies on this thread, there is more than one way to make one. i'll get some pics up but im seeing a trend of extremely long jute that only gets caught on veg leaving trgt indicators and causing overhead movement and noise. remember a ghillie isnt supposed to look like a bush, its supposed to break up your human outline and blend into the negative space. thats why ffp selection is so important. my basic guiding principle on ghillie construction is light and extremely durable. balancing those two things is hard. but if you go out to shoot some face with a hundred pound sweat suit on you wont be able to carry enough water to live. mil snipers know what im talking about (800yrd + stalk lanes) and lets not forget on a live mission, where are you going to store that sleeping bag sized ghillie? less jute more onsite veg. </div></div>

My previous post with pics shows the Ghillie I was taught to build in the US Army Sniper School at Ft. Benning. All together, it's about the size of a good sleeping bag. Granted, I went to Sniper School in March of 1998. I'm not saying what you are stating is incorrect, just a different way of doing business.

by no means am i saying you cant operate like that, and for the school house it works. i did the same at pendleton. but in the spirit of building a better mouse trap anyone building a ghillie should think about trimming the jute/burlap into a variety of lengths and not covering every possible thread of your netting. i tend not to have any over 6" and spaced three or so inches apart. we had a saying and im sure its universal, "veg is the edge". meaning no amount of high speed gear and double for jute is going to conceal you better than natural surrounding vegetation. so save yourself the heat stroke because complete bushy coverage of jute is for hollywood.

I agree. We had a few German military guys go through Benning with my class. They had a unique way of putting together their Ghillie's.

You're right on the money with 'veg is the edge'. However, I'm of the state of mind that vegging up completely is only great for your FFP. Vegetation and other natural concealment options change as you're moving. Know the area you'll be working in. Bungee cords or heavy duty rubber bands work wonders for natural vegetation to be added to your ghillie. Small ones that you can attach to the netting are easy enough to find.

A good ventilation area in the back eliminates a lot of heat build up. And it's a relatively easy modification.

After spending countless hours in a flight suit... I think it would be the most uncomfortable and binding ghillie you could imagine. I think you'd spend a large amount of time picking it out of your ass.
laugh.gif

+ 1 on the bungees and rubber bands. i stole an idea from tactical concealment and attached small tan bungees on my grid. instead of using a knot that can come undone i used sliding spring locks. now if i could figure out how to post pics on this site via mac computer i'd show you what i mean.

oh and +10 on the back vents.

on the idea of a flight suit, i saw a guy at school try that and it didnt go well. it was constantly riding up and he could never get comfortable in his hide causing movement. best bet is to use some ol' fashion suspenders to keep those trousers up.

how does everyone feel about the extensive use of duck canvass down the front? i understand skull dragging but i've seen some that i just have to ask, 'ever heard of route selection?'

I like having canvass along the front of the chest, legs, and forearms. I like it because it greatly increases the durability of your Ghillie. Try crawling over unforseen briar patches or worst yet, sharp rocks. You'll be wishing you had the canvass there. An added benefit of canvass is that you can insert soft foam for padding. I use the bedroll that's was issued to me in the Army. Just cut it to size. Quite easy actually.

+1 on the iso mat. especially along the forearm, for the knees i use 5.11 foam knee pads, they're only ten bucks or so and they feel much better than cut isomat. i do agree with casca that the entire front of your ghillie shouldn't need to be bomb proof as route selection and proper planning have more to do with sniping than skulldragging does. i do knees/thighs, stomach ending at where the front top pockets were and then elbow and forearms. never needed shin gaurds. i know some snipers crawling in hawaii appreciate their canvass. volcanic rock is sharp.

any body have experience with the tactical concealment cobra hood? just got one for an upcoming deployment and it seems to be the answer to my 'where to put it' problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PIGtooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
any body have experience with the tactical concealment cobra hood? just got one for an upcoming deployment and it seems to be the answer to my 'where to put it' problem. </div></div>

I have a bro that just bought one of those things. I took a good long look at it when I was at his place. The construction looks pretty decent and the design looks functional. Havent used one yet, but looks good from what Ive seen thus far.

Here is a pic of the vent on the back of one of mine. Just a duck decoy bag sewn/glued in.

Ghillie_002.sized.jpg

ok i'll resize it and repost but basically i like to use multicam trousers and i'm trying it in conjunction with tactical concealments cobra hood. my three piece is multicam throughout. i used gutted tan 550 cord for my netting. instead of sewing and gluing everything, this time around i used tan zipties i found at home depot. i just poked two SMALL holes in the RIPSTOP fabric and looped the zip tie through to connect the grid. i laid out the grid in 1.5" squares across the back and shoulders stoping just above the elbow. bought tan canvass at hobby lobby and had the local seamstress cut the pattern and sew on my skid pad.i should also mention that the uniform is ACU cut so i left the velcro elbow and knee pad insert areas free to recieve pads. i striped shoulder pockets and replaced them on the the sides of the blouse. 550 cord thumb loops. i left the zipper in but plan on replacing it as zippers always break. i also added buttons and a cut to the outside of the trousers for easy on/off with boots.

This is my first gillie from '04, just bought from Cabela's and bleached the material myself. it was a green that was WAY to dark for my environment. Sold it in '07 and got my new one in the summer of '08. Used it in the fall for deer and coyote hunting, but have recently dismantled it for some customization.
Pic of my first one in '04
n147500731_30471519_2260.jpg

My only pics of the new one last hunting season. More with the improvements will follow of course.

n147500731_30463458_1656.jpg
n147500731_30463456_1060.jpg
n147500731_30463461_2547.jpg
n147500731_30463462_2851.jpg

my over whites in use
n147500731_30471517_4901.jpg
n147500731_30471516_4618.jpg

made this from burlap, hessan twine and cut up british woodland BDU as you can see it blends in with the tiles in my kitchen just perfect :p

It's been so long since I wore one that I had to dig hard through my old stuff. Here's one using standing supported, with veil. It was made the old way, and vegged before moving into the stalk lane. Also note, if you bind and sell coffee table sized book of pictures you collect for $50, you do not have permission to use my picture.

2ag2cmc.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

This was one I did for a review with militarymorons.com. This was a good example of how short garnish can be effective even in arid environments.

Yes, I know the glass is showing. The lens was left exposed so viewers could identify the ghillie easier in some more distant pics.

Ghillie base was a Tactical Concealment Viper w/ add-on drape.

www.ghilliezen.com