• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ghillie suit: NEW pattern " woodland forest floor " project

Ghillie art design

Ghillie concealment designer
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2014
Belgium
Hi people,

Im bart and i run ghillie art design camouflage systems belgium, a hobby based profile / youtube channel.

My previous project click here was a personal succes to me ( my personal development ) so i decided to continue with a next project called " woodland forest floor". This time im completely new With this type of camouflage called " leaf suit ". Also i like to improve the adaptivity of the base layer to any body-type and make it a very easy system to replace / repair items. So lets start this topic with a BANG..

The environmental structure for my new project contains the complete opposite of my previous suit. The texture exists of dead fallen leafs in a woodland environment. So this time i prefer to design the next generation of ghillie suits called " leaf suits " . I read and watched a lot of YouTube and crafting tutorials but have 0,0% experience with this kind of camouflage so decided to give it a goooooo... The colours are this time very different:

IMG_20230602_111131_copy_4800x3600.jpg

IMG_20230602_111301_copy_2250x1834.jpg

- brown leafs
- orange like leafs
- beige leafs
- green plants
- green grass

The garnish choice for this suit is chiffon, polyester mesh and cotton fabric.

- chiffon is a very liteweight ( i think artificial fabric ) with the benefit that its a quick dry fabric.
- polyester mesh is very stretchy and also very quick dry thin breathing fabric
- the cotton ( pocket fabric ) is also very thin but you can spray dye it..

This materials work great for me so i started building my second suit in " woodland forest floor pattern ". This is my first sample designed with:

- mid tone brown polyester mesh
- beige chiffon
- yellow cotton
- beige raffia
- mid brown raffia
- pale green raffia

The sample in daylight
Photo_1686251625280_copy_4800x3600.jpg

Photo_1686251620866_copy_4800x3600.jpg

The sample is lowlight conditions
Photo_1686255511671.jpg

First test in woodland environment
Photo_1686255674352_copy_2250x1687.jpg

For me the yellow cotton appears to be " to bright " so i modified the colour by using a spraycan with brown textil dye and created that used dirty look that a lot of leafs have.
Photo_1686255511520.jpg

After drying cutted in strips like this:
Photo_1686255750111.jpg

Im mixing the bright yellow and modified " dirty used yellow " together to break up the yellow with this result:
Photo_1686256569400_copy_1654x840.jpg

The bright yellow is less in the mod pattern. Today ive tested to 2 patterns side by side, here are the results
01.jpg

03.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

While designing i preformed another new fieldtest to observe if the pattern matches the enviromental textures. This are the results:

Photo_1686760739645.jpg

Photo_1686760740437.jpg

Photo_1686760740052.jpg

Photo_1686760742196.jpg

Photo_1686760743956.jpg

Last edited:
Building progress, im also gonna place a 2nd buckle on the chest area.
Photo_1686782309219.jpg

Photo_1686782308988.jpg

Photo_1686782309432.jpg

Yesterday i did some more fieldtesting and based on the environment i decided to update the garnish colours a bit:

• new brown colour, less darker.
  • new colour added " beige pink like "
  • less greyish beige

On photo's you can see both pattern colours, also a field test picture, find both pattetns. Wich pattern works best ?

New pattern on the left
Photo_1687164756341.jpg

Field testing new pattern ( right )
Photo_1687164756585.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! I’ve been making Ghillie Suits and concealment systems since 1993. Used them in 3 different Scout Sniper Platoons and Long Range Surveillance, as well as with NATO and European coalition forces from 2005-2016.

We had a guy in LRSC who made a leaf-based system that was pretty awesome, lightweight, and very effective. He used an old parachute where he painted it the appropriate colors, then cut out the leaf shapes and melted them with a soldering iron to form the leaf textures. He even made a spray paint can nozzle that would deposit small rot spots on the leaves to duplicate the dead leaves for his dry/fall environment suit.

For the netting, if you can find a lighter gage net that is lighter in color, it will help. Exposed netting often gets entangled with twigs and branches, or worse, catches on a branch of an overhanging tree and disturbs the tree significantly, which is a huge target indicator for any enemy observers.

You can place a thin layer of nylon over the net, then cut small holes in your tie-down locations and eliminate most of the snag hazards of a net-based system.

Your camouflage material selection appears to be really good. One thing you can do to add to the disrupted edges of the individual sections of fabric is to use pinking shears on a roller cutter or scissors:

iu

iu

I have both, and prefer the roller cutter due to speed.

Great work! Looking forward to seeing how your top evolves.

Last edited:
Nice work! I’ve been making Ghillie Suits and concealment systems since 1993. Used them in 3 different Scout Sniper Platoons and Long Range Surveillance, as well as with NATO and European coalition forces from 2005-2016.

We had a guy in LRSC who made a leaf-based system that was pretty awesome, lightweight, and very effective. He used an old parachute where he painted it the appropriate colors, then cut out the leaf shapes and melted them with a soldering iron to form the leaf textures. He even made a spray paint can nozzle that would deposit small rot spots on the leaves to duplicate the dead leaves for his dry/fall environment suit.

For the netting, if you can find a lighter gage net that is lighter in color, it will help. Exposed netting often gets entangled with twigs and burst, or worse, catches on a branch of an overhanging tree and disturbs the tree significantly, which is a huge target indicator for any enemy observers.

You can place a thin layer of nylon over the net, then cut small holes in your tie-down locations and eliminate most of the snag hazards of a net-based system.

Your camouflage material selection appears to be really good. One thing you can do to add to the disrupted edges of the individual sections of fabric is to use pinking shears on a roller cutter or scissors:

iu

iu

I have both, and prefer the roller cutter due to speed.

Great work! Looking forward to seeing how your top evolves.
Thank you for the reply. Yes there are very various ways to make a ghillie leaf suit, the fun part is that if you are creative minded you can use much materials. Now that parachute fabric has 2 big pro's: i thinks its infrared proof and waterproof so its a very good idea. Pinking shears is a very nice idea thanks for the advice and the black netting is a bit a problem here i dont find any netting with beige or green colour so for this moment the black is my only option.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway