• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ghillie Suits?

LRShooter101

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2013
Southern, IN
Looking for feedback on what people are using for out of the box Ghillie Suits?

This will be used for stalks in all weather conditions, so we are specifically looking for:
- Multiple layers/reinforcement in the key areas like knees & elbows
- Good breathable base material
- Solid netting that will hold natural veg

We have previously made our own, but we are bringing in some new members, and we finally have the funds to purchase everyone a new one.

Any recommendations/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

"Out of the box" ghillie?

Remember, you wanted this.

Rave Ghillie is my pick

Screenshot_20210201-193506_Brave.jpg

I sense a disturbance in the Force. [Popcorn begins popping]

This will be used for stalks in all weather conditions, so we are specifically looking for:

We have previously made our own, but we are bringing in some new members, and we finally have the funds to purchase everyone a new one.

Got alot of deer shooting back in your AO?

Who is we?

Highly recommended to build one specific to your operating environment, but since that's not what you're asking for, perhaps consider one from Tactical Concealment? You can customize them for the mission by changing the jute color. There are also built in elastic bands for attaching natural veg from the area. These are a good "out of the box" option. TACTICAL CONCEALMENT

Reactions: White Death
I dont find myself ever being in the position where I need not be seen........there was that one overnight stand time but I digress....

That said last week, while shopping for a replica WWII Naval Aviator ball cap I saw this...

1612198550685.png

1612198594090.png

So instead of just a stupid wool ball cap now Im into that company for a smock.

Mainly thought it would be a good lightweight "cover" garment to wear when out camping to keep the clothes under from soiling. In winter I can flip it inside out to blend with snow.

When I was considering krylon for my rifle looking around my northeast US AO its a pattern that seems to be effective.

Maybe I just wanted to co-ordinate the two....

P7266945_zps50ram7qr.jpg

Thinking if I ever wanted to ghillie adding loops for burlap foliage, reinforcing some skid plate zones such a smock would be a good start.....down side is the evil origins.

Last edited:
Depends on who we are? Honestly for 99% of things multicam works well. My friend passed sniper school in multicam pants and a blue t-shirt.

"WE" is a LE Tactical Team that operates at a local and regional level.

Environments can be anything from suburban neighborhoods to "middle of nowhere".

We have primarily used some type of a "neutral" base garment covered in netting, combined with natural veg that comes from the immediate area.

Good News - most scenarios are hide sites for observation, with minimum infil and exfil efforts. We are not doing any major long distance stalks.

Bad News - operations can be 24/7 in any weather conditions, and operational periods can go on for hours, sitting or laying in whatever conditions exists.

I didn't want to preempt anything because I was looking for new nonbiased feedback. We have used everything from complete homemade garments to premade suits from companies like SORD and Tactical Concealment. We have also been moving from "full suits" to "hoods & capes". There is a bit of struggle going on between the ones that want a "full garment/suit" versus ones that want an "add on" to go over a base uniform. Whatever the design, it has to be flexible/rapidly adaptable because of the varying environments/backgrounds that we can operate in.

While we have a budget, there is also the reality of stupidly expensive versus more budget friendly.

Thanks Again!

"WE" is a LE Tactical Team that operates at a local and regional level.

Environments can be anything from suburban neighborhoods to "middle of nowhere".

We have primarily used some type of a "neutral" base garment covered in netting, combined with natural veg that comes from the immediate area.

Good News - most scenarios are hide sites for observation, with minimum infil and exfil efforts. We are not doing any major long distance stalks.

Bad News - operations can be 24/7 in any weather conditions, and operational periods can go on for hours, sitting or laying in whatever conditions exists.

I didn't want to preempt anything because I was looking for new nonbiased feedback. We have used everything from complete homemade garments to premade suits from companies like SORD and Tactical Concealment. We have also been moving from "full suits" to "hoods & capes". There is a bit of struggle going on between the ones that want a "full garment/suit" versus ones that want an "add on" to go over a base uniform. Whatever the design, it has to be flexible/rapidly adaptable because of the varying environments/backgrounds that we can operate in.

While we have a budget, there is also the reality of stupidly expensive versus more budget friendly.

Thanks Again!
I'd think in an suburban to rural environment, that the cape/hood would be more cost effective and adaptable.

Also it would not necessarily be size constrained, allowing officers to share kit, based on the call out location, and who was going where. It doesn't sound like a lot of stalking, and a lot more PID/Observation with the potential for taking a shot, that you describe.

Just thinking out loud here....

You might hit up the private LEO/Military sub forum for more tailored, knowledgeable responses...

Honestly I would go with a mulitcam base layer and a hood/cape type setup. Maybe keep a full suit or 2 in the gear room in case you need it.

Maybe something like this but it does need to be touched up with some fabric spray paint to eliminate the grid pattern the netting creates.

Breathable ghillie is an oxymoron.

Being a graduate of USASS, I would have agreed with that statement based on my experiences from that school.
USASS Name Black.jpg

Having gotten outside of the "Traditional Ghillie Suits" used in the military by attending CIV/LE Sniper Schools, I have found that is not necessarily the case anymore.
ASA Name Black.jpg

Tactical Concealment has some really great stuff now that is a huge improvement over what I started with.
https://tacticalconcealment.com/mamba-suit/
However, when you are on a budget, it is not cheap. Generally speaking you get what you pay for, but I also believe that you have to explore all options out there. I have found that there can be some more economical options that can actually still perform very well. That is why I am asking here, because if someone has found a similar product at a better price then that could be a huge help.

Last edited:
. . . . .
You might hit up the private LEO/Military sub forum for more tailored, knowledgeable responses...
Thanks for the suggestion on the LEO/Military sub forum, but I have found that the traffic there is VERY LOW compared to the main part of the site. I think a lot of people don't want to go through the hassle of being vetted for access.

Reactions: RRW and MarinePMI
Honestly I would go with a mulitcam base layer and a hood/cape type setup. Maybe keep a full suit or 2 in the gear room in case you need it.

Maybe something like this but it does need to be touched up with some fabric spray paint to eliminate the grid pattern the netting creates.

That is my consensus, however unfortunately we have some of the "old school" prior service mil types who are still in the mindset of having a full suit.

I can agree that if you do have to low crawl for a significant distance to get into a position that having something that protects the front of you and keeps debris out better than a standard BDU uniform is a benefit.

Thanks for the link to that cape/hood, unfortunately that item is showing as being out of stock. Have you purchased anything from Ivan Tactical, do you know if they are reliable?

Being a graduate of USASS, I would have agreed with that statement based on my experiences from that school.
View attachment 7543707
Having gotten outside of the "Traditional Ghillie Suits" used in the military by attending CIV/LE Sniper Schools, I have found that is not necessarily the case anymore.
View attachment 7543709

Tactical Concealment has some really great stuff now that is a huge improvement over what I started with. However, when you are on a budget, it is not cheap. Generally speaking you get what you pay for, but I also believe that you have to explore all options out there. I have found that there can be some more economical options that can actually still perform very well. That is why I am asking here, because if someone has found a similar product at a better price then that could be a huge help.
I’ve found quite a bit of tactical concealment stuff on eBay for fairly decent prices. Might be worth looking into. crye makes a hot weather g3 pant and shirt that’s more breathable than the standard for warm environment, it could easily be used as the base and add the webbing in order to adapt it to the local environments. I think if your role has you doing urban and field type work, you need more options typically urban environments a full blown ghillie isn’t nearly as effective as a simple veil, but that’s just me obviously all of its situational

The furthest I go these days, is just my dpm smock, and not using commercial wash powders on my hunting/range gear.
I cringe a bit, at the thought of getting dolled up to shoot ferals.
Made the mistake years ago of assisting someone with a ghillie for "military re-enactments". He promptly deployed to people's properties to lurk, poach deer, and,I don't even want to think about it.

That link shows out of stock, however, if you look on eBay under SPOSN you will find all that stuff as well. Also, if you hit the request restock on Ivan tactical it normally gets restocked. I haven’t ordered personally from them but their reviews in different places are pretty good. That SPOSN stuff is used by a lot of the Russian units.

Reactions: LRShooter101
1) buy a set of BDUs.....multicam or woodland work fine.
2) buy a volley ball net
3) get some heavy duty thread and sew the net to the back of the BDUs...doesnt need to be super neat, but you do want it sewn on, not glued.
4) shred some burlap....or do the smart thing and buy it preshredded.......tan/ green work fine for most enviroments.
5) cover the backside in a thin layer....you dont want it to look like a bush.......just enough to create a base layer.

6) now this is important......remove 90% of the burlap you just put on.....seriously, everyone ALWAYS puts on too much.

7) TREAT YOUR SUIT WITH FLAME RETARDANT....you are essentially a large tinder pile, you will catch fire, and you will die if you dont

8) the base of the suit is done....but needs to be broken in, go drag it through the mud for a bit to nap up the burlap, you want it to look like dread-locks.

9) when you get to your AO, you will add natural vegetation to fill out the suit.

10) now this is important......put your ghillie suit in a duffle bag and forget about it in your garage....you will never wear it again.

11) do what you should have done from the beginning and buy a boonie hat, attach some netting that barely covers your shoulders, and add some burlap to that........the hat/ cape is ALL the ghillie you are going to want to wear.....and really all the ghillie you are ever going to need.

everyone wants a ghillie suit, until they have to wear one.

the ONLY time i have ever worn full ghillie is when duck hunting.....when its cold.....and in an area with little cover.....the ghillie actually blends in pretty well in the reeds and tall grass.....and even then, i could do without

When I went through my state's advanced observer/sniper school I borrowed a full suit. It was made by a LEO guy in my area. Well thought out with heavy canvass on the legs, chest and arms to help going over briers. With the natural camo added, a instructor said he couldn't see me unless I moved at a distance of about 20-30 yards and I was laying in an area recently bush hogged off.

I had to made my own afterwards and used an old BDU blouse I had. I got jute from burlap camo from a local store. I use digital camo pants now rather than a full suit since my area is mostly urban. But I do have plenty of 550 cord ties to add natural camo if I need to for a stalk.

A guy in my advanced class mentioned a "viper hood" It might be a good option for you as its just basically head, shoulders and arms.

PM if you have any other questions.

Reactions: camocorvette
When I went through my state's advanced observer/sniper school I borrowed a full suit. It was made by a LEO guy in my area. Well thought out with heavy canvass on the legs, chest and arms to help going over briers. With the natural camo added, a instructor said he couldn't see me unless I moved at a distance of about 20-30 yards and I was laying in an area recently bush hogged off.

I had to made my own afterwards and used an old BDU blouse I had. I got jute from burlap camo from a local store. I use digital camo pants now rather than a full suit since my area is mostly urban. But I do have plenty of 550 cord ties to add natural camo if I need to for a stalk.

A guy in my advanced class mentioned a "viper hood" It might be a good option for you as its just basically head, shoulders and arms.

PM if you have any other questions.
I have a viper hood. It works great.

This guy knows how to dress for "deer hunting" read through and get some ideas.

Sorry had to

I have always made my own. In the army I used to scrounge up old tank suits, green heavy overalls, then small cuts, thread burlap strips. Use a little spray adhesive and roll around on the ground. Pick up appropriately colored dirt, bits of sticks and grass. Then just pick stuff as you move and shove it in. That’s the original adaptive camouflage. These days I just use commercially available coveralls and so the same thing. In the winter Walls or Carhart insulated coveralls work great. We used to do quite a few firepower demos for the public, this style of camo used to allow me to lay in front of them for almost an hour and scare the dickens out of them when I stood up with my partner about 20 feet from them.

Sorry had to

Sorry had to
You beat me to it.
Also I think all replies should be accompanied by real life sniper certificates!

Reactions: camocorvette
I have one called a Cobra Hood I think. Bought as netting and I added the camo. I only use it occasionally when setting up on a very close deer hunt with bow. It has allowed me to kill some great bucks that might not otherwise be killed.
658C7BB8-30E7-43D7-85D2-4372DEA3ACA3.jpeg

Reactions: RTH1800
That is my consensus, however unfortunately we have some of the "old school" prior service mil types who are still in the mindset of having a full suit.

I can agree that if you do have to low crawl for a significant distance to get into a position that having something that protects the front of you and keeps debris out better than a standard BDU uniform is a benefit.

Thanks for the link to that cape/hood, unfortunately that item is showing as being out of stock. Have you purchased anything from Ivan Tactical, do you know if they are reliable?
Speaking about Ivan Tactical.

Yes, they are 100% legit. Takes a bit to get it shipped over here, Covid, customs etc. But yes they are great.

You'll get a hand written note and a cool magnet too.

Now, Armada, fuck those shitbags.
Trust me.

I think the day this thread came out or there abouts I had just impulse purchased this......

image.jpg

I didn't get it be Snipery so much as it's a really light cloth made from Rayon bushes and its oversized so it will cover what I am wearing and keep it clean.

It just so happens to be good camo for my area.

White interior for winter use...

image.jpg

Kind of a useless "sniper veil" in the generous hood that would cover a helmet...

image.jpg

Of course once you camo out you should paint your rifle to match.....

image.jpg

Maybe ask this guy where he geared up? LOL
Moron on the Hide in Gilly suit.jpg

You guys remember this thread....wow, it was funny.

Sorry, @LRShooter101 - I know you asked a serious question and are a working LEO....but after being pretty much locked in the house for the last year (i'm an old guy) I take any chance for humor I can get. And if you had seen this thread, you would understand how funny it was as the board pounded this wannabe like a tent peg. Not sure he's been back since. LOL

Best of luck and thank you for your service to our society....as unappreciated by many as it is in these recent times

Reactions: Simonsza1
Maybe ask this guy where he geared up? LOL
View attachment 7580628

You guys remember this thread....wow, it was funny.

Sorry, @LRShooter101 - I know you asked a serious question and are a working LEO....but after being pretty much locked in the house for the last year (i'm an old guy) I take any chance for humor I can get. And if you had seen this thread, you would understand how funny it was as the board pounded this wannabe like a tent peg. Not sure he's been back since. LOL

Best of luck and thank you for your service to our society....as unappreciated by many as it is in these recent times

Saclee Rhino

• Haha
Reactions: Baron23
I think the day this thread came out or there abouts I had just impulse purchased this......

View attachment 7580568

I didn't get it be Snipery so much as it's a really light cloth made from Rayon bushes and its oversized so it will cover what I am wearing and keep it clean.

It just so happens to be good camo for my area.

White interior for winter use...

View attachment 7580570

Kind of a useless "sniper veil" in the generous hood that would cover a helmet...

View attachment 7580573

Of course once you camo out you should paint your rifle to match.....

View attachment 7580574
I got a smock from them some time ago but I think mine is more green-dominant than yours. WWII Heer camo patterns are some of my favorites.

Reactions: pmclaine
All Predator Calls I always got what I ordered when buying predator or turkey calls. Zero problems with this business.
I do not have any knowledge of their Ghillie suits, only that they come complete and in kits