• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Ghost M vs Obsidian 45

quicklx

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Michigan
Looking for first hand knowledge of the Dead Air Ghost M and the Rugged Obsidian 45. If cost is not a variable, which supressor would you choose and why? I have been kicking this around for far too long, so i have given myself until this Wednesday to decide and then I am ordering one or the other. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Personally, the Ghost lost alot of its appeal when the ATF decided to classify the wipes as a suppressor part. No doubt, it's still a very nice can, but not worth the extra cost/hassle in my mind. The Obsidian comes with a piston also which makes the spread even greater. I have an Obsidian 9 in jail right now.

I haven't shot subs through it yet but im sure it is. I actually got a sound meter from work to test my suppressors. Maybe this weekend ill get some real results.

Silencer shop tested it and got 135.7 at the shooters ear with .45 ACP and 129.4 at the ear with 9mm in the full size configuration. I'm sure the Ghost is just as good as the Obsidian, but going by silencer shops pricing the Ghost will run you $285 more once you add a piston.

Looking for first hand knowledge of the Dead Air Ghost M and the Rugged Obsidian 45. If cost is not a variable, which supressor would you choose and why? I have been kicking this around for far too long, so i have given myself until this Wednesday to decide and then I am ordering one or the other. Thanks in advance for your help!!

They're both good products, both from good companies. Either one will serve you well. I have an Obsidian .45 in jail right now. Had I known/had more exposure to the Ghost, I would have taken a longer look at it before deciding. Had a little dustup with a cuck on Youtube that bought a Ghost, had it in jail, then was pissed at D/A when the ATF ruled against the wipes. Tried to explain to him it wasn't D/A that fucked him, it was the ATF. Wan't having any part of it. All of a sudden, the Ghost was "the biggest piece of shit around, and I was an idiot". I politely wished him well and haven't looked back.

The Obsidian is modular, so it can be taken apart and cleaned (including ultrasonically). It also takes SiCo pistons, which I already have from my Osprey.....Big bonus. I don't know as much about the Ghost, but I bet it's a pretty damn good can. In the end, I got a screamin' deal on the Obsidian. It went to my FFL and I got to fondle it and it's a nice piece of kit. I'm thinking it's going to be ready for bail shortly. They have a 3 lug adapter for it, but you also have to purchase the install/removal tool seperately, for about $25.00, plus shipping. Thought that was a little "greeacres'ish", but not the end of the world.

Would you say its hearing safe with 45acp and 9mm?

I own the obsidian. It's the quietest 45 can I've shot to date, but it still doesn't take many 230gr 45's to make my ears ring without protection. Anything supersonic also still rings my ears. Sub-sonic 9mm is amazingly quiet. That's all shooting dry so you could always add a little liquid if you can handle the blow back in your face to get it quieter if that's your goal.

I've shot the ghost and obsidian side by side several times and never once regretted going with obsidian instead of the ghost. Don't have any fancy meters to quantify the difference, but consensus between everyone we've let shoot them side by side is the Obsidian is a fair amount more pleasing in terms of sound level. Tone preference between them has been a mixed bag. First round pop is significantly less in the ghost though. SiCo pistons do work, but unless you already own some don't buy any as the notch does cause a fair amount of leaking. Rugged or Dead air pistons without the notch are the ones that you want.

To be honest though, if I could make the purchase all over again... I wouldn't. There is just no getting around the fact it's a big ol' 45 caliber can, with the large diameter and nose heavy feel that comes along with that fact. Whether it's in short or long configuration it's always a big can. All in all I just find that I use it less and less the longer I own it. YMMV, but that's my take. Dead air's new odessa might just be the pistol can I don't dislike, but it's still too new to know.