• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

paraman1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2003
Boise , Idaho
If you were a big fan of the 80's version of GI Joe cartoons and comic books you will probably like this movie . If you were a fan of the original 12 inch GI Joe (the "real" American Hero IMO) you may just want to wait for it to come out on video . I got to go to a Private sreening and after it was over I was more excited about the fact that we were given 20 bucks worth of Gift Certificates at the movie theater than I was about the movie so you can guess which GI Joe I am a fan of .

Re: GI Joe

Going to see it tonight... looks good except for the space suits.

Going to see it in like 45 minutes lol. Looks like there's enough action scenes to keep me awake through it.
smile.gif

for me the real G.I.Joe is , and still remain , the action soldier from the 60' , no shit !

PP out

In my opinion it was a waste of time and money.The firefight scene in Eastern Africa was a joke,no bad guys just firing at a vehicle with doors open?the whole movie was dumb,the two hot babes kept me awake though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion it was a waste of time and money.The firefight scene in Eastern Africa was a joke,no bad guys just firing at a vehicle with doors open?the whole movie was dumb,the two hot babes kept me awake though. </div></div>

You know, Its GI Joe would you rather have our kids watching that or Capt Planet or Dorra the Illegal Alien and her gay Brother out saving animals?

At least its showing the Military in a good light for our kids.
mad.gif

<span style="color: #FF0000">This review got my attention:</span>

LOS ANGELES--The director of the new movie "G.I. Joe: the Rise of Cobra" thinks President Obama is "a Real American hero," but apparently wants Republicans to stay home.

According to the Los Angeles Times:
When it comes to selling "G.I. Joe" outside the U.S., the message is "this is not a George Bush movie -- it's an Obama world," director Stephen Sommers said. "Right from the writing stage we said to ourselves, this can't be about beefy guys on steroids who all met each other in the Vietnam War, but an elite organization that's made up of the best of the best from around the world."

Sommers, the director of such genre films as "the Mummy Returns" and "VanHelsing," is hoping that the film will appeal to international markets, where action films "often earn 60% or more of their ticket sales [but] rah-rah American sentiment doesn't play well," the paper noted.

As a result, overseas advertising is playing up scenes from other countries and downplaying anything that could be seen as American patriotism.

It's a different story in middle America, however. According to the Times, the film's creators are tying "G.I. Joe" to the military and country music:
[The film] is embedded in the Kid Rock and Lynyrd Skynyrd concert tour, advertised at the Country Music Television Awards and excerpted on giant video screens at Minnesota's Mall of America. It is bombarding Kansas City, Charlotte, Columbus and Grand Rapids on new digital billboards.

The subtext is none too subtle: Critics are likely to roast the film, and fanboys of the original toy line and comic book may be indifferent, but if you're a flag-waving, Nascar-loving American, it's practically your patriotic duty to see this movie.

As a result, the big budget film is expected to open well. However, as the Joe heroes used to say "knowing is half the battle." Once audiences realize that the film is trying to market itself to two separate audiences it's possible that neither will be pleased with what's on the screen.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Fuck him, I'll keep my money.</span>

If snakeeyes is not as bad ass as the costume he wears in the movie, then im not going to see it.

He would be the only reason for me going.

Stormshadow has already let me down, as well as Duke(I do not like that actor)

Took my son to see it Friday, he is 8 soon to be nine. We had great time.

As I told my wife “vaguely entertaining and just one awful movie”! This is Denise Quaid’s worst acting job I’ve ever seen. It was just lame. Thank goodness our local movie theater only charges $4.50 for the movie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion it was a waste of time and money.The firefight scene in Eastern Africa was a joke,no bad guys just firing at a vehicle with doors open?the whole movie was dumb,the two hot babes kept me awake though. </div></div>
Maybe I missed something but I do recall seeing, at least 3 bad guys just to the side of the passenger side of the vehicle.
Snake Eyes is still bad ass as always and makes a good entrance. Storm Shadow is still the chump he is/was. Lil odd with the wuvvy duvvy story thrown in but guess it hasta have something for the ladies that are drug their with the boys.
I'm a fan of the 80s toy joes so film fit ok with me. Followed the comics a lil as well (the movie did). Wonder when the sequel will come out? I was pleasantly suprised with how they did this one.

My 4 year old son loved it, good enough for me. As I stated before, its better then him watching Dorra the Illegal Alien.
smirk.gif

Am I the only 1 who thought it was funny it took 30 seconds to empty a full auto weapon.... And why did the have guns that shot bullets when they also had teeny tiny ray guns that could knock out half a building? It was nothing like the 80's....total waste of time and money. + the 2 hours of computer animation was done 1/2 assed and all the stunts looked fake as hell!

I was a GI Joe nut as a kid, got my first 12" as a hand me down from my uncle in the early 80's. As a young kid I followed the comics and the toys, they rocked for a 10 year old. The movie freakin blew, when the hell did GI Joe become a multi national super secret force. As I recall, and I still have the bio cards from the toys, they were all enlisted and Duke was an E-8. The toys aren't as cool today either. My favorite character still is Gung-Ho, how many toys have a giant EGA inked on their chest.

I have only one GI Joe, the one in the Marine Dress Blues. My Daughter gave it to me for Christmas a few (not that many) years back, maybe because was wearing them quite a bit back then for Memorial Day Parades and Marine Corps League events. Of late, I have trouble buttoning the lower buttons, and refuse to alter the blouse to accomodate my dotage. I gives me some incentive to dwell upon my excesses, and contemplate renovating the old potbelly.

Greg

I think onesureshot hit it on the head.

There's way too much duplicity in the advertising and in the end the director tried to take something that was older than him and go from 'A Real American Hero' to 'A Real Multinational Hero'. The red flag before the movie was when they said it would be a Belgium based unit.

The moment I heard that it gave me flashbacks to Street Fighter.

If he wanted to do this why not just make a Rainbow Six movie?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was a GI Joe nut as a kid, got my first 12" as a hand me down from my uncle in the early 80's. As a young kid I followed the comics and the toys, they rocked for a 10 year old. The movie freakin blew, when the hell did GI Joe become a multi national super secret force. As I recall, and I still have the bio cards from the toys, they were all enlisted and Duke was an E-8. The toys aren't as cool today either. My favorite character still is Gung-Ho, how many toys have a giant EGA inked on their chest. </div></div>

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/076041c13b/the-ballad-of-g-i-joe

Here ya go...closer to the TV/Comics.

What really gets me is all the actors in it.

The real Sgt. Slaugther
Chuck Liddell
13 - the Chick from House
Vinnie Jones aka Bullet Tooth Tony
And it just goes on
smile.gif

i dont want to rant, but what makes this a "GI JOE" movie other than just being called "GI JOE"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont want to rant, but what makes this a "GI JOE" movie other than just being called "GI JOE"?

</div></div>

Couldn't agree more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff in TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I told my wife “vaguely entertaining and just one awful movie”! This is Denise Quaid’s worst acting job I’ve ever seen. It was just lame. Thank goodness our local movie theater only charges $4.50 for the movie. </div></div>

+1

Lame!

I actually felt physical pain sitting threw this movie.
Than my eyes started to bleed.

It was fun to watch as long as you remember it is just a computer generated money trap. Nothing was real in it, so who cares.
The only thing worth watching was the two hot ladies, the red head was smokin hot.

PG-13 why are people bringing 4 year old kids to a move that is barely appropriate for a 13 year old?.. Even 8 is pushing bad judgment.

In the new Terminator movie some "Dad" brought his 5-6 year old who had a pacifier in his mouth.. WTF! (if a kid is insecure enough to need a pacifier) WTF are you bringing him to a movie like this! I felt it should have had a R rating. There was some intense shocking violence. I had to check when I got home.

The Poor kid was scared shitless. IMHO this was abuse.

The 12-13 year old in-front of me told his Mom "I'm going to have nightmares for a week." He was old enough to be honest and express his feelings.

The little kid with the pacifier was just in shock. He was stunned.

You can not erase the images these movies implant into these kids minds. You can desensitize them but that might be worse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont want to rant, but what makes this a "GI JOE" movie other than just being called "GI JOE"?

</div></div>

Couldn't agree more. </div></div>

"and now you know, and knowing is half the battle!"

if you say that enough, i think you fall under the copyright..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RYNO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually felt physical pain sitting threw this movie.
Than my eyes started to bleed. </div></div>

or Dorra the Illegal Alien and her gay Brother out saving animals?

LOL after reading this thread. Im waiting for it to come out on video. But the thread had me laughing my ass off

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 328 RII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was fun to watch as long as you remember it is just a computer generated money trap. Nothing was real in it, so who cares.
The only thing worth watching was the two hot ladies, the red head was smokin hot. </div></div>

This--if you go with low expectations, you will have a good time. If you have high expectations, you will be dissapointed...

I just watched it tonight. Not too bad, but I went in with very low expectations. Not the the GI Joe I knew growing up.

I enjoyed it. Like many others, I wasn't expecting much. I did walk away a huge Sienna Miller fan! Damn she is hot!!!!

Worst.
Movie.
Ever.

What a waste of time and money.

The Bad:
Dukes sad lil'half-day goatee in his dress uniform drove me up the wall. Being SF in field conditions is one thing but at a formal event I think they still shave... correct me if Im wrong.

The acting.

The effects.

The Good:
The Redhead =)

I am glad to see this thread still active and that I was not alone in my feelings of disgust for this movie .

Though it was mentioned, I forgot to add I was disappointed with it being a more 'international' organization vs. American... what next, Superman is from Sweden?