• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gibbs rifle reproductions

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2011
N.Ms
Of the bolt action Springfield rifles,any one shoot one or have one?
Are they a good value?
Sniper replicas .....995.00$$$$

I mean it seems like a good price.And would probably do more or be more capable than I may ever be...

Re: Gibbs rifle reproductions

Seems like I remember hearing that Dave Emary, one of Hornady's ballisticians who also shoots Vintage sniper, uses a Gibbs that he replaced the scope on. He has done well with it in competition. Read this on the CMP forums if memory serves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 152</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of the bolt action Springfield rifles,any one shoot one or have one?
Are they a good value?
Sniper replicas .....995.00$$$$

I mean it seems like a good price.And would probably do more or be more capable than I may ever be... </div></div>

Follow this link and then read the article "Building a Springfield Sniper Rifle" under the Armourer's Notes section on the left of the page:

http://www.thamesvalleyguns.co.uk/

This is the personal experience of a qualified UK forces armourer (and I can personally vouch for Paul as he looks after all my classic rifle and has done some amazing work for me on two builds).

To precis the article: badly fitted, poor quality stock that breaks first time out, the worst example of a scope the guy has ever seen, incorrect parts fitted, bad finishing with rust underneath bluing, stripped screws, burring on scope mounts, zero warranty support from Gibbs other than an empty promise from Val Forget III.....

If you are still interested after that, remember John Ruskin's words on the common law of business balance:

<span style="font-style: italic">"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey.
It is unwise to pay too much, but it is also unwise to pay too little.
When you pay too much, you lose a little money, that is all.
When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought is incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
<span style="font-weight: bold">The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot... It can't be done.
If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run.
And if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better</span>."</span>

Good Luck!!

I've heard, but don't know personally that Gibbs is revamping their M84 scopes and the new ones are good quality. Appearntly the scopes was the downfall of their rifles. If that's the case, it might be worth looking at.

Personally I like the M-84 scopes. We used them when I was running sniper schools for the Guard on our M1C/Ds. They were accurate and worked to 900 yards if one knew how to shoot garands.

I've shot one, and they worked pretty good. The scope was a true POS, but the rifle was a 1MOA gun for me. I was using Sellier & Bellot .30-06 168gr ammo, and it shot fine. The scope was terrible, but the rifle was okay. Later, I learned that the Gibb's rifles, are actually 'rescued' drill rifles, re-done, and then sold under slightly misleading claims. I'm not a purist, and thought the rifle was well-done, and shot well. You can put a period correct scope/base/rings on these rifles, and have a 'replica' for a fraction of the cost of an original 1903/A4.

Good info so far ,thanks .
And am still reading....on this type rifle...

I HAVE NOT PERSONALLY SHOT ONE, HOWEVER
I had a man use one on same target different relay during eastern games, rifle was complete failure, would not change elevation nor windage no matter how many clicks he put on it

also at same event gibbs came up and said the scopes were never to be used beyond 100 yards, must be that way because my friend could not change anything anyway, and the rifleing seemed kinda light, like they were not very deep. but getting back to what gibbs said, i inquired to the man, "cant say i remember reading that in any of your ads, can you tell me where you advertised that the scopes were only for 100 yards" never got a answer

I would think, having just converted my sporterized 03 BACK to military condition that you could do it under $995 or CLOSE to that depending on the scope.

Then you have the satisfaction of knowing it is built well.