• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giraud annealer questions

fw707

Minuteman
Nov 12, 2010
KY
I've been reading some of the older posts on the Giraud, and I have a couple of questions for the folks that are using Giraud annealers.

1. Could somebody please post some pictures of the regulator modification for the more consistent gas flow, and

2. Is the Temp-i-Laq set-up needed every time you use the machine, or do you just use it once to get a setting for each different caliber?

Thanks!
Any other tips and tricks are welcome.

Re: Giraud annealer questions

I have had a Giraud annealer pretty much as soon as Doug could ship one to me, serial #16 as I recall.

As far as the regulator mod is concerned:

I have not had any issues with mine maintaining a solid and smooth flame and so far haven't added a high pressure regulator to smooth out gas flow.

As far as Tempilaq is concerned:

I use Tempilaq for the first few times with each caliber I work with and note the setting on the speed control. To my eye I can see little if any variation and now no longer check regularly, rather I periodically check a random case to see where things are at but for the most part I have been able to dial the speed control to the recorded setting for the caliber and run just fine.

Hope that gives you both some info to help with your decision making.

I own a Giraud annealer and while it nicely automates the processing once you have set it up and dialed in the flame length, distance, and ramp speed (flame dwell time), tuning those parameters takes time and unless you develop a much more methodical way of putting everything away than I do, you'll be performing all three steps each time (and verifying with Tempilaq).

The most finicky is setting the flame length itself; as you no doubt have read elsewhere, when Doug says that a propane bottle will last a long, long time, he means it; it takes the barest minimum opening of the knob to get a flame of the proper size he documents in the instructions, just enough to keep it from sputtering out, at least with the bottle I'm using.

The ramp speed/dwell time is probably the easiest to record and restore, but since it interacts with the temperature of the flame to deliver the overall amount of heat over time, unless you are content to keep a constant speed and tweak the flame only, you will be playing with this one a bit each time. And tweaking the flame is not trivial or really even practical for minor adjustments.

The same could be said for distance of the flame from the case on the ramp. Easy to tweak, but since it interacts with the flame setting and the dwell time to impact heat delivered, it's yet another independent variable that you will need to play with.

So, to do it right - and to know that you have done so - requires tempilaq each time. I probably spend half an hour messing with everything when I set it up, but then of course it's all automatic from there.

One final area of attention are the bearings on the ramp carrier (or whatever it's called that slides down the oh-so-subtle incline to start the brass-rolling ramp back at the bottom of its cycle). Somehow, the overall setup here gets a little too much friction from time to time, and Giraud recommends graphite or some other dry lube - but it's not easy to apply.

If there were two areas that could stand to be improved, I'd say #1 is the gas delivery - something that would very deterministically regulate the same gas flow every time - and #2 is the ramp 'stickiness' mentioned above. If #1 were fixed, then all of the need to monkey with the other settings and re-verify with Tempilaq would go away - until you change calibers of course! (better if if you own multiple calibers and are a religious every-time-you-reload annealer it may be mentally worth it just to buy more than one, just like the trimmer...)

What there's a regulator modification? Who has this I need one. Its my only complaint the finicky gas feed/pressure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2clicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What there's a regulator modification? Who has this I need one. Its my only complaint the finicky gas feed/pressure. </div></div>

A propane seller would have it, not Giraud. I regulated mine, 38lb, don't think it is enough. The disposable cylinders were way hot, and having 20lbs is cool.

This machine is somewhat finicky from day to day, in my opinion.
I over heated about 10 cases bad, black, loaded them up to see what would happen, nothing, they were fine, no blowouts, no cracked necks, nothing, have 4 reloads on them since. Though I'm probably flirting with disaster here, in my case I won't learn anything till it hurts!

As far as the regulator mod is concerned from what I'm seeing/hearing guys are getting good results using this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VXEW4G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

For kicks I ordered one that should get here Friday to see if I see any improvement/change though as mentioned in my original post I've not had issues re. propane feed.

Cega,
I don't think that will be enough, I think our Co-op gas station sells 55lb'ers, that is where I want to be.

PM a guy on here, X-fan, he has a setup that works right.