• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giraud for precision?

BWYoda

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2009
NC/Baghdad
So here's the deal guys. Thinking of dropping some coin on a Giraud as there seems to be little question that it's THE trimmer out there, but my question is how does it stack up against the others when trimming for competition loads in terms if fine adjustment of neck length? I've heard from a couple of sources that while de-burring is fine, chamfering the inside of the neck is not recommended for accuracy as is can affect concentricity. Grateful for your thoughts on this one. Thanks in advance.

Re: Giraud for precision?

I have not noticed any problems with concentricity chamfering the inside or the case mouth. I actually find this necessary as without chamfering the inside edge of the case mouth, the bullet jacket can gets scraped up when seating the bullet.

I use it for all my trimming, including match loads, and it is very accurate. It cuts to length off of the shoulder of the case. So as long as the sizing is the same, the length will be the same. You can also adjust the amount of inside chamfer by moving the cutting blade in and out on it's base. I also spin the case as it cuts, so it gets a nice even chamfer. It is very accurate, and fairly easy to set up and change calibers.
Also, I have not seen any difference in run out due to too much or too little inside chamfer. I would rather have too much chamfer than too little, so it doesn't scratch/score the bullet when seating. A scratched or scored bullet will cause more problems than a chamfer will.

I don't necessarily work to get benchrest accuracy so I don't use concentricity guages, but do agree that chamfering the inside edge makes seating all ther more easy. I have damaged jackets on square case mouths before and think that is a bigger issue. I love the Giraud trimmer, what a time saver! Although I will touch-up a case with my hand reamer just to be sure.

My Giraud can do a better job than I can by hand trimming, or with my forester case trimmer.

It's a great trimmer, extremely consistent for me. I'm glad I bought it, just used it today for the first time on a new batch of brass. I measured every 3rd or 4th and they were all exactly at 2.005" (.308 brass).

I love my trimmer, have several calibers. Always single digit SD's. I now lightly turn each case 180 degrees for a perfect trim. You can trim 500 pieces in 20 minutes , like lucy at the chocolate factory!

I have a giraud and gracey, they are great for quantity but not bug nutts accuracy. bulk trimming 223 or 308 is what i use them for. my competition shooting brass gets hand trimmed. I still have trouble setting up the gracey just right. It could be just me. The Giraud ROCKS!!

+1 on shadow 4 . The only thing I use the Forstner on now is primer pocket cleaning.
Giraud has really good service as well.

Did someone suggest Giraud already?
smirk.gif