• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giraud Power Trimmer vs Henderson Precision Powered Trimmer

avastcosmicarena

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2018
Has anyone here directly compared these by any chance? I know the Giraud is very popular, and I like that the brass shavings are captured. However, the Henderson Precision also looks like a pretty interesting design...

Has anyone here directly compared these by any chance? I know the Giraud is very popular, and I like that the brass shavings are captured. However, the Henderson Precision also looks like a pretty interesting design...

I will in about a week. I currently have Giraud and have Henderson on order.

Their motor supplier is shut down, so they are going to send me the trimmer and I’ll use drill as motor until they send me the actual motor.

So, I should be able to compare soon. Someone else may have used both and be able to chime in now though.

I will in about a week. I currently have Giraud and have Henderson on order.

Their motor supplier is shut down, so they are going to send me the trimmer and I’ll use drill as motor until they send me the actual motor.

So, I should be able to compare soon. Someone else may have used both and be able to chime in now though.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
I'm the weirdo here. I had a Giraud...and loved it...but I sold it for almost full price back when I was tight on cash. I replaced it with a Little Crow Gun Works WFT and chucked it up in my drill press. It requires more steps...post chamfer and debur...but it was what I used because I had to. Now I have different bushings for everything I shoot and I go through my brass super quick.....So I have yet to find a need to re-upgrade to a Giraud.

I keep finding other things that I need MORE....like rifles, scopes, tripods, LabRadar....AMP Annealer...and the list goes on. So...I'll probably go back to a Giraud or like trimmer in the future...but right now I'm getting by without losing too much effort with what I have.

The non micrometer cutting length adjuster on the Henderson is a deal killer for me. I can buy the crappiest manual trimmer and they still manage to include easy adjustments but Henderson can't for $700+? I'm sure someone will be along to tell me I'm stupid but it seems like Henderson said 'fuck it' half way through the project.

The non micrometer cutting length adjuster on the Henderson is a deal killer for me. I can buy the crappiest manual trimmer and they still manage to include easy adjustments but Henderson can't for $700+? I'm sure someone will be along to tell me I'm stupid but it seems like Henderson said 'fuck it' half way through the project.

the Giruad doesn't have micrometer adjustment either, right?

I'm about to buy one of these two as well

leaning towards the Henderson,
because it doesn't require pilots per cartridge
Only collets by case head size

I ordered the henderson. Seems to be simpler and faster.

The guys at Unknown Munitions have been recommending the Henderson as well and those boys pump out a lot of high quality ammo every day. Give em a look, he's always happy to answer reloading questions as well.

Reactions: Davidu

I agree a micrometer adjustments would be better.

As fare as the $700 is concerned, you will also spend about $7-$800 to get the Giraud setup to be as quick to adjust as then Henderson. That was the first thing I did with giraud. Bought multiple cutter heads. They are $40 or $50 each. So you’re looking at $300 worth of cutter heads if you have several types of brass. It’s either that, or take 10min or more every time you want to swap something.

And as already mentioned, the Giraud doesn’t have micrometer adjustments either.

For me, because I shoot a lot of oddball calibers and wildcat cases, the Henderson is a no go. No 17, 20, or 36 caliber offerings. :(

Reactions: Cote0321
I was looking at both a while back and the only reason i went with a Giraud was the speed of pushing in a case and giving it a half turn and tossing it in a bucket. My method was to have two batches of brass one for my left and one for my right then a finished bucket behind the trimmer. grab, turn and toss.

Also if you have a lathe you can make case holders from your finishing reamer, so you can trim your fired case directly from your chamber. So trimming fireformed brass is more consistent than trimming based off the runout from the sizing die

I agree a micrometer adjustments would be better.

As fare as the $700 is concerned, you will also spend about $7-$800 to get the Giraud setup to be as quick to adjust as then Henderson. That was the first thing I did with giraud. Bought multiple cutter heads. They are $40 or $50 each. So you’re looking at $300 worth of cutter heads if you have several types of brass. It’s either that, or take 10min or more every time you want to swap something.

And as already mentioned, the Giraud doesn’t have micrometer adjustments either.

It's not about what Giraud does or doesn't have, I'm not paying $700 for Forster parts and a crappy machine screw adjuster. A high price tag and shiny red anodizing doesn't equal innovation.

I'll wait for V2.

Reactions: C.R. Adams
Giraud sets neck trim length off the shoulder and not the case head. If your headspace from case to case isn’t identical with the Henderson your neck lengths will vary by that much. The Giraud should give consistent neck lengths from case to case. If it is enough to matter, I don’t know. I think for the money the Giraud is a better trimmer, but I haven’t had hands on the Henderson.

Reactions: Wheezy and fx77
I have the Giraud and a dedicated Trim it 2 to my 338LM. The micrometer on the Trim it 2 make its easier. I would replace my Giraud for another trim it 2 in a blink of the eye.
The only problem I had on the Trim it 2 is the blade set screw who got dusted too easy but they readily sent me a few at no costs.

I like my Henderson trimmer. It’s fast and consistent. I like that it’s set to trim to the OAL base to neck vs the shoulder. Changing calibers is easy. Swap the cutting head and stop bolt.

I like the hard stop with the bolt. Once you set it it’s good for that caliber. No need for a micrometer adjustment.

Reactions: PFG
the Giruad doesn't have micrometer adjustment either, right?

I'm about to buy one of these two as well

leaning towards the Henderson,
because it doesn't require pilots per cartridge
Only collets by case head size

While the Giraud doesn't have micrometer adjustment, the top of the unit does have etched markings that correspond to different depth adjustments. I don't recall what they are exactly, but if you need to trim an extra 0.00X", you turn the case holder to the next line and tighten it down. Plus, if you use a locking die ring, you'll always have the same trim length and swapping calibers takes a few seconds

Reactions: Engine 22
I have alot of 223 brass with different headstamps, which one would be the best to give the most consistent trim length?

Both will give you the same OAL.

The Giraud may be more consistent in the actual neck length. Though if that matters would be a whole other discussion.

Reactions: simonp
-Girr measures off shoulder
-Hend measures off bottom of case
---Hend mush more consistent in trim
importance minimal

-Girr you get carpel tunnel twisting in a pile of brass
-Hend put in and push
---Hend edge
importance med

-Girr catches shavings
-Girr cheaper
min and min

I ordered a Hend. All who Ive talked to who own both agree. But I would use both in a heartbeet. Splitting hair here.

GL
DT

-Girr measures off shoulder
-Hend measures off bottom of case
---Hend mush more consistent in trim
importance minimal

-Girr you get carpel tunnel twisting in a pile of brass
-Hend put in and push
---Hend edge
importance med

-Girr catches shavings
-Girr cheaper
min and min

I ordered a Hend. All who Ive talked to who own both agree. But I would use both in a heartbeet. Splitting hair here.

GL
DT

Agreed on all points. I’m switching to Henderson make it more comfortable on my hands.

Also, Henderson now offers a shaving catcher.

Same here, I have the Giraud. I can say that the Giraud is by far the best investment I have made in reloading tools.
Haven't used a Henderson, do have a Giraud. Wear a glove to run your Giraud, I get the grippy nylon ones with the rubberized palm and fingers. I trim ~ 10 cases per minute, maybe more. Push in, rotate 90* pull it out. I prep as many as 600 to 1000 pieces of brass at a time. Production matters to me.

With the volume that I load for big matches the Giraud trimmer, bench source annealer (though I hear AMP is nice), and Auto-trickler are the three pieces of kit I can't imagine loading with out.
As for precision of trim. What exactly is the dimension that if of the most import when you trim, OAL or neck length? I would argue neck length. It's what you are trimming because that is what actually grows.

I have had both, I have since sold my Giraud. I have the new version of the Henderson that has the shavings catcher and a plastic guard. It also has a plastic akro bin to catch the trimmed pieces of brass.

I much prefer using the Henderson, it's kind of like using the CPS primer seater vs anything else, it is expensive, but once you have used it, it is hard to use anything else. Changing calibers and adjusting the trim length is incredibly simple. The Giraud works, but for me, the ease of use if just on another level with the Henderson. I found the Giraud very finicky to get set up and if you didn't have a cutting head for every caliber it was just a pain in the ass to get it set up again. The Henderson is also cheaper if you have a bunch of calibers. I can cover all of mine with 5 cutter heads and only 1 collet. The changeover, once you have the stop set for a specific caliber, takes less than a minute. I find adjusting the length using the supplied bolts to be simple and it repeats within a thou or two.

For me, the Henderson is far and away a better setup for my use.
I am sure opinions will vary, but that's just my $.02.

Just for info, there’s a very easy way to adjust trim length on the Giraud in 0.001” increments without messing with the lock ring…

Buy a set of die shims from Sinclair, and set up the case holder in the Giraud with say 0.015” of shims at your nominal trim length. In the future you can easily trim up to -0.015” shorter by removing shims, or trim longer by adding shims, all without messing with the die lock ring.

I had never seen the Henderson trimmer before reading this post, but it looks like a nice piece too.

I’ve had a Giraud trimmer for many years, and only have one real complaint… setting the cutter blade the first time for the appropriate ratio of inside to outside chamfer on the neck can be a real PITA. That’s why I have cutter heads for every caliber, so I don’t have to mess with the blade every caliber change.

Other minor issue is that after my first big trimming sessions (2000+ cases) I did get very sore fingertips from the repetitive gripping and slight twisting motion. I’ve since changed my grip and alternate hands every case and haven’t had that issue since.

The Henderson will easily match that speed.
Not saying anything bad about the Giraud, I just wanted to demonstrate that the Henderson is also very fast.

How do you empty the bit where the brass shavings are piling up? do you have to unbolt the whole thing?

would be cool to get an inline fabrication quick change plate with a bolt pattern to fit this thing

How do you empty the bit where the brass shavings are piling up? do you have to unbolt the whole thing?

would be cool to get an inline fabrication quick change plate with a bolt pattern to fit this thing
Mine is on an inline quick change plate. I just turn the whole thing over the trash.

A shopvac would also make quick work of it if it were permanently bolted in place.

Mine is on an inline quick change plate. I just turn the whole thing over the trash.

A shopvac would also make quick work of it if it were permanently bolted in place.
Google jump ring cutter. Vac attachment for clearing out brass chips...

Oh, didn't realize it was on an inline quick change plate. Did they already have the pattern for it, or did you measure it and have them do a custom plate for you?

I kinda had a slow moment when I first read the thread title. I thought y'all were talking about weed eaters. Lol.

Ordered an Henderson today. Says a 2-3 week wait time.

The company they get their motors from is in Cali. Probably May before they get anymore motors with corona shutdown.

I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago. If too long into May rolls around, going to have them send the trimmer without motor and use a drill until they send me the motor kit

I had a blank one that I drilled myself.

Is there any way you could measure the mounting pattern and provide the details here in this thread? It would be good to have these measurements publicly available, because then we could request inline fabrication to make plates for the trimmer using their custom plate option.

I have been using WTF drill attach trimmers for years... I have 5 of them. They work well, but god moving over to the chamfer/debur station after that makes me curse every time.

@Dthomas3523 let me know if like the Henderson and wanna part with the Giraud

I have been using WTF drill attach trimmers for years... I have 5 of them. They work well, but god moving over to the chamfer/debur station after that makes me curse every time.

@Dthomas3523 let me know if like the Henderson and wanna part with the Giraud

The trim it is like the WFT with the 3 way cutter in it.

sorry, I meant... let me know if you like the Henderson and no longer need the Giraud

Would it make sense to start another thread on tips and tricks for the Giraud? I'd really like to hear how everyone is setting up their Giraud for performance. Just in this thread alone I'm learning stuff.

No. There’s only two tricks. Put a lock ring on the pilot so it indexes they same every time. And buy separate cutter head for each case you will do.

Change out pilot and head and trim.

Reactions: GUNNER75 and Bradu
I have a Gracie that uses the Giraud blades. Older design but still works like a champ. Thinking about getting a Dillon or a Franken- Dillon to run on one of my 650s

No. There’s only two tricks. Put a lock ring on the pilot so it indexes they same every time. And buy separate cutter head for each case you will do.

Change out pilot and head and trim.

Put an O-Ring under the lock ring for easier micro adjustments.

Have had Henderson for a day. Initial impressions are very good. Trimmed 40 cases once setup and all were within .001. I never bothered to check the actual neck length to shoulder when I had Giraud and didn’t with this either. I doubt it’s of much importance.

Henderson is more comfortable to use than Giraud, faster to setup/change, and less handling of brass in general.

If you don’t trim a ton and only have one or two types, Giraud is cheaper and probably best bet.

If you have a lot of different brass (Giraud cutter heads are $50 ea and you really need dedicated heads unless you want to spend 10min every change), they are both about the same price and I’d go with henderson.

Cant go wrong with either

What about the noise? Difference between the two motors running?