• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giraud problem

Greg0326

Regular Dude
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017
Vista, CA
I’ve been using my giraud trimmer for about the past 5 years and have loved it. Recently it started leaving a burr on the outside of the case mouth and I can’t for the life of me figure it out. If repositioned the cutter, replaced the cutter, repositioned the new cutter, all to no avail. Anyone had these issues before?

I’ve been using my giraud trimmer for about the past 5 years and have loved it. Recently it started leaving a burr on the outside of the case mouth and I can’t for the life of me figure it out. If repositioned the cutter, replaced the cutter, repositioned the new cutter, all to no avail. Anyone had these issues before?
I have a Giraud Tri-Way and an Trim-It II and I had the same kind of problem when I first got the Trim-It II, which uses the same cutter design. Like you, I tried those various adjustment and still get the burr on the outside of my cases. I concluded there much be something different about the Trim-It II's cutters, so I ordered a couple new one's from Giraud and installed one in the Trim-It. Once I got the settings done, no more burr and good clean cuts.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Do you set it up by firsthand chamfering a case and then centering the cutter on the Apex of the hand chamfered case? It requires quite a bit of my finagling to get it right but I have had my trimmer for over 15 years and it works pretty much flawlessly across seven or 10 different cartridges when set up properly.

I forget if the cutters are directional or not.

I have a different cutter for each cartridge, so I never have to readjust it once I have it set up

I have a Giraud Tri-Way and a Trim-It II and I had the same kind of problem when I first got the Trim-It II, which uses the same cutter design. Like you, I tried those various adjustment and still get the burr on the outside of my cases. I concluded there much be something different about the Trim-It II's cutters, so I ordered a couple new one's from Giraud and installed one in the Trim-It. Once I got the settings done, no more burr and good clean cuts.
So I installed a new cutter in there and I’m still running into the same issues

So I installed a new cutter in there and I’m still running into the same issues
Are you using the Power Timmer or the Tri-Way?

What caliber and what's the neck thickness?

I would think you can adjust the burr away, but at the same time, this might not give you the chamfer you're after. . .???