• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giraud Trimmer Accuracy Question

drn1234

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2011
Castle Rock Colorado
I have been using a Wilson tool and die trimmer and love the accuracy but it is a manual process and does not chamfer.

I was looking at he Giruad trimmer but was wondering if it really will hold .001 accuracy as mentioned in the manual.

For those that use this trimmer is this the kind of accuracy you are seeing or is it different in real world conditions?

Thanks!

The wilson indexes off the case head. The giraud indexes off the shoulder. It will be as accurate as your resized brass is.

Have a Wilson and it is an excellent trimmer but since I purchased a Giraud it collects dust most of the time. If you neck turn it's the best since it indexes off the shoulder will give you consistent neck lengths.

The shooters above me are all correct.

It took me right around an hour to trim, chamfer, and debut 100pcs of .30-30 brass.

It then took me 10 minutes to do 100 pieces of .223 with my Giraud.

After seeing the drastic difference in time used, the quality of the trim/chamfer/debur, and the ease (quick, clean, efficient, quite, easy, etc), I am thinking about selling my Wilson and all the case holders to buy shell holders for my Giraud for every bottleneck caliber I own.

I actually spoke to Giraud today about purchasing trimmer blades and shell holders. I just needed to confirm that if I buy spare cutters (say, for .308) that it wouldn't be a problem for other .30 caliber rounds. (I didn't think it would, but wanted to be positive.) This means.. I could sell my Wilson and buy 4 more cutters to cover the remaining calibers that I have. This way, I don't have to waste time and brass setting up a cutter every time I switch calibers. Then, after that, it is really no different. A Wilson case holder cost about $12, but then sometimes you need to buy two of them to cover new brass or fired brass. At that point, your $24 dollars into case holders. I look at the 50 minutes that the Giraud saved to be well worth the additional $6 per shell holder. I plan on buying a complete set up for my Giraud so that it will be the only trimmer I own.

Additionally, if you weren't aware, cases with the same shoulder can be used in the same shell holder, i.e. 308 and 243. Fun little fact!

I guess to answer your original post, the Giraud will be as consistent as you are. If you are consistent with your sizing procedures, the Giraud will be as accurate as they describe. Like I said above, I trimmed 100 .223 brass on my Giraud in right around 10 minutes. The lengths of the cases (as I measured all 100 just to see for myself) varied by +/- .001. This means that I had brass from 1.749 and 1.751. Of the 100 pieces, 94 of them measured 1.750...which is where Mr. Giraud set it before he sent it to me.

It is absolutely worth every penny and every week of the wait...as long as you shoot enough quantity to warrant it.

The Giraud is a great trimmer, just as everyone claims. To answer your question, I can keep my case length to .001 or so. Close enough for most anyone.

...the Giraud will be as consistent as you are. If you are consistent with your sizing procedures, the Giraud will be as accurate as they describe. Like I said above, I trimmed 100 .223 brass on my Giraud in right around 10 minutes. The lengths of the cases (as I measured all 100 just to see for myself) varied by +/- .001. This means that I had brass from 1.749 and 1.751. Of the 100 pieces, 94 of them measured 1.750...which is where Mr. Giraud set it before he sent it to me.

This describes it.

It's somewhat technique - dependent, but as accurate as you can get yourself consistent.

iShoot17 & others: when you indicated that the Giraud shell holder for 308 could be used for other cartridges based on the 308 cartridge and shoulder angle, is it necessary that the Giraud shell holder support the neck of the cartridge being trimmed? In other words, if using a 308 Giraud shell holder to trim 7mm-08 or 243 and others, would vibration cause a problem with the smaller (unsupported) necks being trimmed? I realize that the Giraud registers on the datum of the shoulder, but wouldn't any unsupported neck induce movement resulting in a somewhat "rougher" trim and chamfer? I do know that the cutting blade must be adjusted correctly for the diameter of any smaller neck. Thanks.

You cannot shoot the difference in trim length, so it really doesn't matter what the variable is, with that said the Giruad is the WORLDS FINEST TRIMMER, and technique to achieve consistent lengths is simple, insert, turn 180, remove, if your trimming more than .010 give it another turn.

iShoot17 & others: when you indicated that the Giraud shell holder for 308 could be used for other cartridges based on the 308 cartridge and shoulder angle, is it necessary that the Giraud shell holder support the neck of the cartridge being trimmed? In other words, if using a 308 Giraud shell holder to trim 7mm-08 or 243 and others, would vibration cause a problem with the smaller (unsupported) necks being trimmed? I realize that the Giraud registers on the datum of the shoulder, but wouldn't any unsupported neck induce movement resulting in a somewhat "rougher" trim and chamfer? I do know that the cutting blade must be adjusted correctly for the diameter of any smaller neck. Thanks.

I use a 30/06 case holder for trimming 30/06 and 270 Win. I also have a 308 case holder that I trim 308 Win. and .260 Rem. Being the Giraud trims off of the shoulder, the necks don't seem to be supported much anyway. They work fine for me. When I asked this question to Doug when I ordered the Trimmer, case holders and the separate cutter heads, he said it should work. He didn't say it wouldn't work and I would have to buy separate case holders for the 270 and the 260, even though, I'm sure he would be happy to sell me the separate case holders.

Last edited:

This has not been my experience, but is a very solid question. Let me take a stab at explaining (or at least give you my created logic of the topic!).

It kind of goes back to what I said about consistency in my previous post. As shooters, we try to say keen on consistency and another thing called concentricity. It goes into creating our chambers, our threaded muzzles, and even our ammo. Knowing this, concentricity is also a huge part of our reloading adventures. We know, and should be able to assume correctly, that the neck of a bottle neck cartridge is centered in the overall scheme of the entire cartridge. Whether it be the case head, body, or shoulder. This leads us to believe that the case neck, of whatever caliber, is centered to the datum line of a shoulder.

With the creativeness of Mr. Giraud and his slick engineering, he created a shell holder that is based off of a datum line; however, he even stepped it up a notch! He created the shell holder to be on a spring. This means that the shell is placed in the shell holder with no worry of any trimming happening until forced upon by the user. Setting a case in the shell holder will allow the casing to be centered and ready for trimming. Once the user starts to force the shell down towards the blade, the spring style shell holder pushes back creating a positive connection between the two and keeping the shell centered. It my experience, and thought process (although maybe it is wrong?), I have had no issues with a "rougher" trim or chamfer. I have even used a magnifying glass to examine a few pieces just to see what the heck is happing while contacting the cutter.

As long as you adjusted the cutting blade correctly (I keep 5-10 pieces of scrap brass around to make sure I was setting the cutter correctly when initially doing an adjustment), there should be no issues with using different calibers in a single shell holder, i.e. .308 Win, .243, .260, etc. Also, the trimmer is extremely stable and has little vibration. I do understand where you are coming from though. I believe I would be more worried about a trimmer that is similar to the idea of Mr. Giraud, but that didn't have a spring style shell holder. I feel there could be some issues with a style like this, but I am not an engineer, so I can't be sure.

Hope this helps answer your question!

I've got to admit that in a pinch I found that the 308 neck holder would also trim 30-06, even though the shoulder angle is different. I had to adjust the neck holder to account for wherever the 30-06 was in contact with the holder. It worked pretty well for the small amount of 06 I was trimming. Not to suggest that this be done regularly, but it will work in a pinch. I've since gotten the correct neck holder for the 06 family of cartridges. I totally agree that Mr. Giraud has produced an amazing machine.

Thank you all for your responses. Looks like another good piece of gear to get ordered on Monday.
12 weeks is a long lead-time, I always hate waiting for things once I make a decision. HA HA lol

I've trimmed 243, 260, 708 and 308 with a 308 shell holder. Provided your case necks aren't dented or dinged, it works just fine.

If you try to trim, say, a 243 case with a dinged mouth using a 308 holder, it is prone to chatter.

This has hardly ever been a problem for me, but has happened. My process involves annealing after sizing/cleaning, then trimming last. Occasionally, the drop from the annealing machine dings the neck and it doesn't trim well.

The more difference between case neck diameter and shell holder neck diameter, the more it matters.

I'm not inclined to buy more (correct) shell holders.

Thank you all for your responses. Looks like another good piece of gear to get ordered on Monday.
12 weeks is a long lead-time, I always hate waiting for things once I make a decision. HA HA lol

For what it may be worth.. I ordered my trimmer this year and was quoted 12 weeks. I was called at 9.5 weeks and told it was ready to be shipped!