• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giraud trimmer blade position

thexman

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
For the Giraud trimmer users, I am wondering if we need to make adjustment to the position of the cutting blade from the original packaging and the caliber change kit from Giraud to make the cut?

What I mean is, I noticed the brass mouth is touching just within one side of the blade cutter. Is this what supposes to be like? Or blade needs to be more closer to the center of the V profile between the two peak points(move the blade up from the image below)?

This is what looks like:
IMG_20231101_132848.jpg

According to the set up video from Giraud, it mentioned that this was the last set up used before they shipped out the unit, so I assume it is the correct set up?

If it is, I am curious how the deburring gets done when the outside peak point of the cutter is too far from touching the brass?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20231101_132848.jpg
    IMG_20231101_132848.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 44
What's the chamfer look like? And the angle on the outside?

Are you getting a sharp edge or not enough/too much angle on the inside or outside?

I think you need to move the cutter. If you loosen the set screw then gently push the case down, the cutter will be centered on that case mouth at that spot. Tighten the set screw.

An improved approach, chamfer a case mouth (both inside and outside) with a hand tool so that the case mouth is a sharp edge. That will center the cutter better.

What does your trim cut look like? Adjustments are made off of that. For me, I want a good, inside chamfer. On the outside , I only need a clean deburring of the outside cut.

I make my adjustments according to that.

I think you need to move the cutter. If you loosen the set screw then gently push the case down, the cutter will be centered on that case mouth at that spot. Tighten the set screw.

An improved approach, chamfer a case mouth (both inside and outside) with a hand tool so that the case mouth is a sharp edge. That will center the cutter better.
Right, so if I want to both chamfer and debur with equivalent angle, it is better to center the cutter and let the edge of the brass as closer to the bottom of the V as possible, correct?

Reactions: secondofangle2
I want a good angle inside and a kiss to deburr the outside. Adjust as needed. You could ask the manufacturer but you’ll get berated for not reading the instructions. #worstcustomerserviceintheindustry. For real.

What's the chamfer look like? And the angle on the outside?

Are you getting a sharp edge or not enough/too much angle on the inside or outside?
this is the brass come with it. looks like nice chamfer but really minimal or none debur to me.
IMG_20231102_200013.jpg

I haven't done any trimming yet, want to make sure I set up the blade properly before destory or damage the brass and the blade.

Right, so if I want to both chamfer and debur with equivalent angle, it is better to center the cutter and let the edge of the brass as closer to the bottom of the V as possible, correct?
So just use the brass to center the cutter and then adjust depth to get the angle you want. Mine came with a setup to give the same as your pic…which is what I want...”all” the angle on the inside.

That’s really up to you, I set it for max chamfer and you can only just barely see where some times it’ll hit the outside deburr. Others like it centered. Doesn’t matter, just do it how you like.

this is the brass come with it. looks like nice chamfer but really minimal or none debur to me.
View attachment 8262991

I haven't done any trimming yet, want to make sure I set up the blade properly before destory or damage the brass and the blade.

That is exactly what you want to see. Good bevel on the inside to allow easy bullet seating and just a minor clean cut on the outside to remove any burrs and allow easy chambering. GO FOR IT!

View attachment 8262991

Just keep in mind that different brass come with different diameters or the diameter you're working with is one that you've set up that can be very different, AND . . . difference in neck thickness plays into this as well. Most likely, you'll have to make adjustments based on the brass you have and how you've sized them.

Reactions: thexman