• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giraud Trimmer Owners

Bull81

Lost Cause
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Mississippi
To all you guys running the giraud trimmers I found a cool little accessory that makes adjustments easy and repeatable. PMA Tool makes a micro adjustable locking ring that fits standard dies. The ring has graduated hash marks and each hash mark represents .001 of adjustment, one could easily split the hash marks down to .0005. It's intended purpose is for adjusting shoulder bumb. I absolutely hate having to adjust the trim length on my giraud trimmer and can never get it set back exactly like I want it (I use the same case insert on multiple different cartridges). When I saw this ring from PMA tool I figured I'd give a try, and if it worked I'd order several of them for all my calibers. It works so well one is all I need I can easily switch it between calibers and adjust it right back to the required trim length. It will not work in a Forster press so I havnt tried it for shoulder bumb, but I can tell it would make life much easier than the hit or miss method of trying to dial it in using a standard locking ring.

http://www.pmatool.com/die-accessories/

Now if only someone would offer a tool for adjusting the chamfer/deburr settings on the cutting head.

That's more of a pita than trim length..

Now if only someone would offer a tool for adjusting the chamfer/deburr settings on the cutting head.

I did not find it that difficult, a friend wanted to shoot his. Are you by chance doing what the op suggests and running one case holder for multiple cartridges? Just say it's a 6mm 30deg shoulder, and you run diff bushing sizes for all, aint going to work.

I've never fooled with adjusting the cutter head itself, I have a cutter for each caliber .30 cal, 6.5, 22 etc. but I will use the same insert between certain cartridges 6.5x47/6.5 Creedmoor for example. The tool wasn't designed for the giraud Trimmer it was actually designed to set shoulder bump on a resizing die, I havnt tried it for resizing because it will not work in a Forster press. If you set your trim length one time and never touch again then this tool isn't really very beneficial, but if you use the same insert for different cartridges or adjust your trim length often then it's a huge help in my opinion.

I bought a set of Arbor Shims from WW Grainger that are different thicknesses. I just slip the shim between the face of the machine and the lock ring to adjust the cutting depth.
Lot less $$ than the PMA.
McMaster-Carr has them too and they are much easier to deal with than Grainger. The 7/8" set of low-carbon steel shims (19 shims) is under $14.

Last edited:
I have a different cutter head for each diameter (0.223, .277, .30, .338 etc). For the case holders, I replaced the original lock ring with a Forster lock ring. Adjusting the case holder depth is still a little tedious but I only have to do it once because with the Forster ring the set depth is repeatable. (I have a different case holder for each cartridge)

I have a different cutter head for each diameter (0.223, .277, .30, .338 etc). For the case holders, I replaced the original lock ring with a Forster lock ring. Adjusting the case holder depth is still a little tedious but I only have to do it once because with the Forster ring the set depth is repeatable. (I have a different case holder for each cartridge)

This. One cutter per caliber. And on stuff that see different brands of the same caliber I set the cutter head with the brass I want most often/precise and let the others fall in line where they may be but given that its off of the shoulder there really isnt any variance that Ive been able to tell. If there is its smaller than I can tell and Im not going to go off chasing my tail about the chamfer/deburr being 5-10% different.

14 TPI, 1 turn = ~.071"
Never had much of a problem getting the case length where I want . Mark the caseholder with a magic marker, do the math. 1/4 turn = ~ .018", etc.
I will agree that getting a cutting head for each diameter case mount makes sense, though. It's a real PITA to get the chamfers "perfect".

I too use one cutter head for each caliber but I'm anal enough to want the chamfer and the deburr angles the same. Not an easy thing to do.

I suppose at some point I will need to rotate the tri-way cutting blade for a new edge which will require more readjustment.

Even with the one time adjustment hassle it's a wonderful machine.

For small lots of precision bolt gun cases I generally use Possum Hollow trimmers and chamfer individually, but for bulk reloading (or when I needed to remove something like 3/16" before I ran Lapua .260 brass through a 6.5 CM die), nothing chows down cases like the Giraud power trimmer. Several times throughout the years I've process thousands of .223 cases in one batch (unfortunately before I got the Giraud) and after hours and hours trimming them all I'd have blisters and sore hands. I recently ran 2k trough the Giraud in about 3 hours without breaking a sweat. Of course I'm kicking myself for not buying it years ago, story of my life...

Another neat twist, a few months after I laboriously converted 400 .260 cases to Creedmoor, Lapua came out with Creedmoor brass. Good times.

Last edited:
I have a Giraud and didn't know u can adjust the chamfer. How does that work? Mine doesn't seem to chamfer the same on all of the inside of neck. Thanks

I have a Giraud and didn't know u can adjust the chamfer. How does that work? Mine doesn't seem to chamfer the same on all of the inside of neck. Thanks

There is a small set screw holding the v cutter in place. Are you talking one cartridge, or multiple cases one cutter? First your brass needs to be sized so neck dia the same.
If you have never annealed and the springback on cases not the same, not much you can do.

There is a small set screw holding the v cutter in place. Are you talking one cartridge, or multiple cases one cutter? First your brass needs to be sized so neck dia the same.
If you have never annealed and the springback on cases not the same, not much you can do.

Yep, small set screw that allows you to slide it in or out. I will agree, the first one I did was kind of a pain but once I got the first one the next couple went much easier to get adjusted properly.

My 223 lapua brass is all a perfect inside chamfer with just a slight bit of deburring, just enough to knock the 90 degree corner down.The 223 remington brass does vary a bit on the inside amount chamfered however I believe that is due to neck thickness variations and not cutter alignment. It can only trim as well as the brass allows.

Picture from Accuracy tech article but you can see the set screw in the side of the cutter tool http://www.accuracy-tech.com/giraud-case-trimmer/
20170419_132829-800x450.jpg

Just 6.5 Creedmoor. I anneal with an Amp. Then size. Shoulder setback very consistent. Ammo is very consistent. I just always thought the chamfer should b more uniform. Maybe it don't matter since I get consistent sub 1/2 moa with many around the 1/4.

Just 6.5 Creedmoor. I anneal with an Amp. Then size. Shoulder setback very consistent. Ammo is very consistent. I just always thought the chamfer should b more uniform. Maybe it don't matter since I get consistent sub 1/2 moa with many around the 1/4.

You're doing it right, could be inconsistencies from varied length of brass then, measure by length, brass does not grow evenly.

I was reading this thread in hopes of one of you "smarter than me" guys post a way to get that cutter head aligned just right, a heck of lot faster than I can. Id sure be all ears to hear of any tried and true ways to slide that cutter over just that little bit, and not using one single cuss word in doing it, LOL

I've found the easiest way to get the cutter to line up for a good in & out cut is to take a case that has been chamfered in & out (can be done by hand) and line the cutter up on the top edge of the case into the cutter groove. Tighten it and try it out. It's worked pretty well for me.

I was reading this thread in hopes of one of you "smarter than me" guys post a way to get that cutter head aligned just right, a heck of lot faster than I can. Id sure be all ears to hear of any tried and true ways to slide that cutter over just that little bit, and not using one single cuss word in doing it, LOL

I'm by no means an expert, considering a .0001" shift will make quite a difference in the cut, loosening the screw to the point it moves freely is going to spell disaster. I run 4 6mm's, with 4 diff size bushings, 1 cutterhead, they all come out a little different, I'm into the unit to the tune of 700+ now, 200 more for dedicated cutters is a serious option.

I've found the easiest way to get the cutter to line up for a good in & out cut is to take a case that has been chamfered in & out (can be done by hand) and line the cutter up on the top edge of the case into the cutter groove. Tighten it and try it out. It's worked pretty well for me.

This is the way I do although I loosen the cutter set screw so the cutter moves freely back and forth. Insert the case into the case holder and watch the cutter "self align" and then tighten the set screw. Trim a case and check the alignment. I want more chamfer on the inside than out.

I guess I wasn't clear, but, yes I loosen the cutter set screw, align the pre chamfered case into the cutter groove, tighten the set screw and check the cut with an uncut case and adjust the cutter if necessary. So I do the same thing.

I use a 308 case holder to trim .260 Rem. with a preset 26 cal. cutter. I also use a 30/06 case holder to trim .270 Win. with a preset .27 cal. cutter. For the .270 Win., I take the 30/06 case holder, which is preset to cut the proper length and then take 2- dimes and place one under the lock ring at the 9 0'clock and the other at the 3 O'clock positions. Dimes are .050". This raises the lock ring perfectly to cut the longer .270 Win. cases at about .010" less than the SAAMI maximum.

I don't remember how I came up with that, but it works and I can keep the 30/06 case holder set at the proper setting for 30/06.

Last edited: