• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giraud trimmer question

Distance shooter

Minuteman
Oct 13, 2009
California
I am thinking of getting a Giruad trimmer and I was wandering how difficult it is to adjust the cutter head when you change calibers, or is it easier to just order additional cutter heads with blades for each caliber I am going to trim? Thanks for any input. I have read nothing but great reviews here on the Hide regaurding Giraud trimmers.

Re: Giraud trimmer question

Just get the different cutter heads for each bullet dia. you plan to use.

It can be a pain to have to adjust it each time you go to a differnt caliber with a different bullet dia.

That's a pricey way to go, but I happen to agree, it's probably worth it. That is one of the few things I don't like ab out my Giraud, it is a pain in the ass to adjust, and I shoot 3 different calibers per trip to the range at minimum, often 5....it's a PITA to tweak the cutter for each cal.

The Giraud also, (maybe obvious) indexes trim length off of the shoulder, which helped learn me that my shoulders weren't spot on just cause I'd resized them. I still wonder which is more important, shoulder position, or exact length of the necks being the same....I suspect it's the shoulder, but I really don't know why I do...I guess varying the lenght of the neck by a couple thou changes neck tension too.....oh well sorry to ramble--if it isn't cost prohibitive, buy a different cutter head for each caliber you load!

I too hate this.

You'd think there would be an easier way to move that carbide cutter in and out. I'd pay a considerable amount for one that I could clamp the carbide cutter in, and then have a separate screw or something to adjust the cutter in or out.

I think I am lost one this one ??? It is easy to move the Cutter blade side to side to accommodate different calibers. Just loosen the allen head screw and slide it either way. This is a pic from Giraud's web site.

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod03.htm

It's well worth it to buy dedicated cutters and shell holders, I need to get a .223 setup for mine.

Adjusting the cutter looked pretty fiddly to me so I sprung for a separate head for .223. Caliber changes are so easy that I am certain that it was money well spent.

You might also get a locking ring for the shell holder like this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=391359

It makes changing shell holder much faster as it retains your settings...

I also agree, get the additional cutter heads as it can be a pain. But make sure you need a different one for the calibers you plan to cut. For example, .308 and .243 are the same shell holder according to Giraud

I adjusted mine back and forth from 223 to 308, but it took about 10-15 minutes and I would ruin at least a piece of brass and it took several adjustments. A few weeks ago I broke down and ordered another cutter head. 223 and 30 cal are the most common rounds you load in quantity so I would grab those.

Lock rings are awesome get those too.

CJG

I've had my Giraud trimmer for about 3 years now and reload for 6XC,.223,.308,30-06,7mm SAUM and 338LM.

I recommend getting a dedicated case holder and cutter head w/blade for each caliber. Yes, it's expensive @ $75.00 per caliber. It's a big time saver and adjusting the blade can be a royal PITA.

Don't forget to buy lock rings, suggested by members here.

Thanks for the input guys. It looks like getting seperate case holder and cutter head w/blade is the way to go, and thanks for the heads up about the lock rings. I have read that on other threads, but did not know what the concensus of multiple cutter blades was. Thanks again.