• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giraud trimmer

wfjames22

trigger yanker
Minuteman
  • May 8, 2009
    SW TN
    Is there anything I need to know about this badass machine before I pull the trigger on one? Mainly plan on using it for 223/556 brass but figure I might as well get the setups for the other main cartridges I reload, 260, 308, 6.5 Grendel, etc.

Seems like I remember reading about issues with neck sized brass in my previous research?

I have had mine for a few years and haven't had any issues with the trimmer. Speeds up the trimming process. I also load multiple calibers.
    One of the best reloading tools I have.

It doesn't work off of neck sized, only full sized. I couldn't tell you why/how.

Get a different cutter head head for each caliber. 223 6.5 30, so you don't have to readjust the cutting diameter each swap. You can use the 6.5 for the 260 Grendel etc. For each different cartridge you'll need a different case holder.

Im new to it and have only trimmed two batches of brass so far but I love it. So much faster than before.

It doesn't work off of neck sized, only full sized. I couldn't tell you why/how.

Get a different cutter head head for each caliber. 223 6.5 30, so you don't have to readjust the cutting diameter each swap. You can use the 6.5 for the 260 Grendel etc. For each different cartridge you'll need a different case holder.

Im new to it and have only trimmed two batches of brass so far but I love it. So much faster than before.

And buy yourself a pack of die rings, like the Hornady Sure Loc die rings, so you can set up your multiple calibers. It makes swapping case holders fast and easy. Yes, it's pricey, but it's so worth it!

Edit: By pricey, I'm talking about the Giraud

Last edited:
    And buy yourself a pack of die rings, like the Hornady Sure Loc die rings, so you can set up your multiple calibers. It makes swapping case holders fast and easy. Yes, it's pricey, but it's so worth it!

That! I put forster rings on my redding dies and am using the leftover redding lock rings on the holders. The redding rings suck because they have some weird pot metal soft crap on the inner side of the lock screw that can tighten but not easily loosen so I tore those out and just have the screw on the threads but its not shown any issues so far, I didnt torque it down crazy tight, just enough to hold.

You set it up, lock em down and then you have a repeatable return each time you screw it in and thats the whole appeal of the giraud. Quickness.

Reactions: canezach
    The redding rings suck because they have some weird pot metal soft crap on the inner side of the lock screw that can tighten but not easily loosen

That soft crap is a small piece of lead shot put there to lock the die into the threads better. To get it to loosen, unscrew the set screw and use a plastic mallet to rap the side of the lock ring. The lock ring will rotate easily, or you can remove it like you did.

That soft crap is a small piece of lead shot put there to lock the die into the threads better.

Well it sure fucking works, had to get out the water pump pliers to loosen it each time. Said to hell with that and tossed it. Good to know though.

Yup I threw some of the Hornady locking rings on mine and they are easy to pull out and drop back in.
    http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1165236200/hornady-sure-loc-die-locking-ring-7-8-14-thread

Also you should be able to use the .308 case holder with the .260 so you don;t need two. When I ordered mine I asked the woman on the phone for a .243 and she said I could just use the .308 so you should be fine with .260.

Getting different cutter heads helps too so you have a match with the caliber you are set for. I pull my .223 cutter head and case holder and pop in another caliber very easily with no adjustments.

Thanks for all the info guys! I know once I get it, it's going to be one of those "why didn't I buy this thing 10yrs ago when I first started thinking about it" moments.

Anyone have any more information on using neck sized brass? Even on my 223 loads for gassers, I typically use a Redding full length sizer but with a neck bushing. That won't work?

FL sizing with a neck bushing Like the Redding Type S should be no issue. Straight neck sizing only might be an issue as the case holders are set up for sized cases but you can have one made with a blank.

I also use a Redding Type S FL sizer with neck bushings and I've had no issues running any caliber through the Giraud. I had to slightly adjust the cutting blade on one caliber (If I remember correctly, it was 6.5 Creedmoor), but it was a really small movement. It took me a few minutes to set the blade, but once it was set, it's been good to go ever since.

Sounds like I need to give Mr Giraud a call and get the ball rolling. Thanks again for all the help fellas.

Also you should be able to use the .308 case holder with the .260 so you don;t need two.

Getting different cutter heads helps too so you have a match with the caliber you are set for. I pull my .223 cutter head and case holder and pop in another caliber very easily with no adjustments.

Yes, the 308 case holder works fine for 260 REM. I also use my 30/06 case holder to trim .270 Win. Just used it a few days ago.

And a big "YES" to the additional cutter heads in different calibers. Makes switching in seconds compared to several minutes trying to re-adjust a cutter head to another caliber.

The online manual mentions sending in 3 fired and neck sized cases if you want a custom case holder.

I've reloaded nearly 30k of .223.
    Before I got my Giraud trimmer it took days to trim a few thousand cases, trimming with a Possum Hollow trimmer and chamfering with a Hornady case prep trio. A few hours a day was all I could process, my hands would cramp up and I'd be done for the day.

While I was marveling at the ease with which the Giraud trimmed the last few thousand processed, I was mentally kicking myself for not buying one of these years ago.

Last year I rebarreled my AIAX in 6.5 CM, and decided to convert all the Lapua .260 cases I had (close to 400) to Creedmoor. First order of business is to trim something like .2" off the length. It was very easy with the Giraud, it chowed though the brass like it was nothing.

If you do any kind of volume it's a wise investment.