• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giraud vs Dillon trimmer

Re: Giraud vs Dillon trimmer

All i will say is that there is a Giraud on my reloading bench!!

smile.gif
Quick and to the point!!

I have had both.

I honed the Dillon sizing die to 0.336" for Lapua brass and it worked great. However, when I used other brands of brass, or ended up neck turning to get rid of some donuts, I had to do a second sizing to set the neck tension. Switched from the Dillon to the Giraud for greater flexibility.

Apples-to-apples, both are two operations. With the Dillon, you size/trim and then maybe do a light chamfer. With the Giraud, you size and then trim/chamfer/deburr. In the bigger picture, you aren't saving any operations with the Giraud. But, it does do a nicer job as the cut is more square. You can get a square cut with the Dillon with a LOT of fiddling.

If you weren't going to bother chamfering, it could be argued that the Dillon saves you an operation. You might do this for plinking ammo, but not for precision ammo. I wouldn't attempt to trim and then load the cases successively on a progressive though, as the Dillon trimmer often left quite a bit of shavings inside the cases.

Excellent gents, thank you.

Looks like the wife is getting me a Giraud for our 15th anniversary. Woohooo..
laugh.gif

Giraud....I toyed with the idea of the Dillon on my 650 but glad I made the right choice and bought the Giraud. Speaking of which, I need to go load some ammo!

John

I dont load enough to justify one, because my 308 cases simply dont require trimming often. But I had a Giraud, it is the GAP of reloading tools. Unreal the ease with which you can simply blow through cases. And they are ALL PERFECT. Great tool.

I can see the advantage of having something incorporated into the press though. Never tried the Dillon, but the Giraud is unreal. One of the few accessories I have ever seen live up to such major hype.

Giraud all the way! Best piece of reloading equipment ever designed and the best money I've ever spent on reloading period! Get one, you won't be disappointed.

For high volume, the Dillon is the way to go. I have mine on a 650 with the case feeder attached. I can resize and trim over 1200 cases per hour. A vacuum attached is a must, otherwise you will get the brass shavings mentioned earlier.

I do not have Giraud, but plan on getting one for 338 Lapua. 308 and 223 will continue to be done on the Dillon.

+1 for Dillon.

It does a great job when mounted in my 1050. I have used a Giraud and they are very nice as well but I can really run a lot of cases on the 1050 and swage primer pockets also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BVEAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Giraud all the way! Best piece of reloading equipment ever designed and the best money I've ever spent on reloading period! Get one, you won't be disappointed. </div></div>

+100!

I run the Dillon on my 650 for .223 and it works fantastic. However, that's mainly for AR use. For my .308 long range bolt gun ammo I'm trim by hand. If I ever do step up to a powered trimer for .308 I'll probably go with the Giraud.