• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giselle or JP Trigger

Re: Giselle or JP Trigger

Easy - Geissele. I have shot JP, McCormick, Tuned match triggers by various manufactures and Geissele has been the most consistent. In other words, once you adjust it to the pull weight you want (if you get an adjustable), you never have to worry about it again. This goes for all of Bill's triggers. Not to mention that the customer services is simply outstanding.

My .02

Tony

Ive never pulled a JP trigger, but I have pulled a Geissele match grade trigger and i just cant imagine how a trigger could be any better.

I have approx. 50k + rounds on JP triggers. Love them. Great break feel and reset. After the initial installation and adjustment I have not had any issue with them coming out of adjustment.

I have one Geissele Super 3 Gun and am very impressed with it. Same great attributes as the JP.

IMO you will not go wrong with either.

I am a big proponent of the Geissele triggers. Every one of them that I have installed myself or used on other people's rifles have been excellent, crisp, clean triggers.

You didn't mention which particular model you were considering, but personally, unless you have a good deal of experience building ARs or with adjustable trigger units, I recommend the SSA-E or other non-adjustable models with the features you want/need. Again...personal preference will determine what's best for you.

I've used JP triggers for 13 years with no problems at all. Excellent reset and break. I've tried a bunch of other triggers but keep coming back to JP. I've handled some of the Geisele triggers but really didn't like them. They were two stage ones though and just felt really mushy with no clean break. From what I understand, I would like his single stage triggers, I just don't have any time in with them.

Sounds like both are outstanding choices. I must admit Giselle handled me perfectly on the phone setting up my dealer account. Which for me customer service is a big overall component of overall quality. I have a JP in an AR lined up to shot today @ the range just gotta find one of the other local addicts with a Giselle to try

I have had a JP in a CTR 02, and my sister has a JP in her Smith and Wesson Vtac. They are lovely triggers. I also have a Geissele DMR in both the rifles I have now, and can't imagine how it could be improved. I had a noobie question about setting up the one I installed (other one was factory from LWRCI) and left a message on the Geissele phone (couple years ago.) I got a call back fairly quickly from a guy named Bill, and about halfway through the conversation I realized that it was Bill GEISSELE and he was at a match somewhere talking to me on his cellphone. That's CS. You can't go wrong with either, but I am a huge fan of Geissele.

Unless 3/4 of you all work for Giselle I think I klnow which way I will be going

Thanks

Dave

Chuck,
That is very uncharacteristic of Geissele triggers. I don't know which type you handled but it could be improperly set up. Some people do not like the two stage triggers. I don't have a problem with single or dual stage triggers, they all work for me.

Which trigger units in particular are you asking about? JP makes 2 styles of triggers and Geissele makes about 8. Also, it's not really an equal comparison. The JP's are single stage and most of the Geissele's are two stage. The only Geissele unit that could be compared to a single stage would be either the S3G or the SD3G.

The 3 gun trigger from Geissele are made for fast competition shooting. To me they are comparable in feel to a Glock, XD or similar striker fired type pistol, where you have some slack or take up. Reset, though short, isn't as short as I thought it would be.

The JP's are also made for fast shooting and the one's I've handled had very little creep at all and I would compare them to a bolt gun trigger.

Both manufacturers make great triggers but they all have their own special purpose. You have to decide what you want out of the trigger.

JP gets my vote. I have them in all my AR's. I've never live fired a Giselle, but did get to dry fire some mock ups at FB3G this year. I don't think you would be disappointed with either. You're welcome to have some trigger time with mine next match or at Juniper in March.

I've shot both extensively both as a 3 gun setup and as an accuracy setup and of the two I prefer Geissele.

However, I know you didn't ask about other options, but after running both the above, I now am putting Pact Gold triggers in everything I have. They're worth giving a try.

That would be great I plan on shooting the DPRC NRA TPC in Feb and both days @ Johns

I have the Pact Gold in my AR 15 and love it! Looking to try another option in the 308 build. The only thing I dislike about the PAct is the color of the trigger. I am totally anti-bling

I have both, both are great but the Geissele is a bit better IMHO

I have six Timneys and a Jewell on AR platforms. All I can say is dont buy a Jewell. I HATE mine with a passion. The Timneys arent perfect, but they arent bad either.

As a footnote, I think Jewell on Remington 700's are the cats meow and I would never choose any other.

IMO, many of the responses are too vague. Some favor the JP, some favor the Geissele, but why? What makes one better than the other? Which Geissele trigger is everyone talking about? What is the trigger being used for?

I have a Geissele S3G that I recently installed in my AR10T. Is it a great trigger? Yes it is, but I don't think it's optimal for the platform it's installed in. I'm going to switch it out to an SD-E and put the S3G into one of my AR15 carbines. To me, the long and heavier pull of the S3G isn't what I want in a precision platform. I much prefer the light and crisp break of the 2nd stage of the Geissele 2 stage units.

Also, from what I've seen, the installation and how well tuned the JP triggers are, can make or break the end result. I've felt some as crisp as a bolt gun trigger and some that were just meh.... not much better than a $50 Bill Springfield mil spec trigger job.

No experience with JP, but I have had two Geissele triggers, both excellent, and Bill is such a great guy to deal with, I don't know as though I would ever feel the need to try another brand AR trigger.

So the JP's are light single stages? I was thinking about the Geisselle 3G but would rather have a crisp single stage. The only thing is I want to stay 3lb at least as I don't want to have any light strikes (shoot milsurp sometimes).

RE: BCP, The JP's I'm referring to are the original trigger kits, not the EZ triggers. They break approximately around the 3-4 pound range, depending on what color hammer and trigger springs you use with them. The yellows yield the lowest pull weights, however being that they are a reduced power spring, they may or may not induce light strikes. On JP's website, they recommend at the minimum, the heavier red hammer springs for mil surp ammo or .308 platforms.

In my experience, the S3G is not crisp. It has a bit of take up, though smooth. Like I said earlier, kind of like what you experience when you pull a Glock or XD trigger, just not as extreme. Like most describe it, "a rolling pull".

One advantage of Geissele triggers is that they use full power hammer springs, so they are reliable with all ammo and compatible with both AR15 and .308 platforms.

If you are wanting a 2 stage trigger, look no further than the
Geissele unit. For single stage the only trigger I have experience with ( other than factory colt) is the Accuracy Speaks trigger from Derrick Martin. Used on a duty gun at work
with out issues for many 1000's of rounds.

At BCP....

Yes the JP's are a great crisp single stage trigger. If you follow JP's instructions the yellow hammer spring will yield a 3-3.5lb pull and a 4-4.5lb pull with the red spring. In the ar15 platform I have never experienced light strikes even on the mil surp I have shot...YMMV. On the 308 platform my experience is that the yellow springs will ignite any factory ammo and most of the mil surp but will sometimes give light strikes on the european/near east stuff.

I just started playing with the Geissele 3 Gun trigger. It seems to be an excellent trigger so far. The letoff is more like a rolling trigger than the glass rod of the JP. You press the Geissele and feel the engagement, continue a steady pressure and the trigger releases. The reset is very firm which I like and the trigger travel is very short, again a good thing.

IME the JP is my go to trigger I have several and have many thousands of rounds downrange with them. Never a malfunction and always 100% consistent action in several different lowers. The Geissele so far seems very good and promising but it is a bit of a new kid on the block, being only a couple years old.....we'll see.

Jason

Sounds good I have a call later tonight with Predator Custom on pricing the work on longer than 18.5". I will be shooting one of each trigger Saturday

Thanks

Dave

how hard are these jp's to install. I am in the same dilemma. Cant decide to try and tackle in myself or have a smith do it. For a little over a $100 for the jp, it is tempting.

The JP does take some time the first time maybe 1 1/2 hours to install and adjust, it may have to go in and out to get it right and you need a 1/4" fine tap. Like everything if you do it 50 times it would go 4 times faster, I like fiddling with the rifles so no problem. If you want to just drop it in then get a one piece( I have AR gold, SR gold, Giselle, rock river match and JP) I favor the AR/SR gold's short reset for field position shooting, Giselle for ultimate precision, the rock river is my least favorite but is reasonable $$, drop in install, and match legal pull weight. The JP is the cheapest but the most work to install, a nice trigger when it is tuned in. If you have to pay for install, drive it to the smith and back you save little if anything with the JP

Gisselle is the way to go and I have shot a ton of triggers in my LE career.

There are two options for installing the original JP trigger

1) Send your lower in to JP and for $220 total you will get your lower back with the trigger installed....it will be excellent.

2) Take a 1-2 hours, watch the installation video a couple of times and install your own. Easily within the realm of most gun guys if you can be patient enough to follow directions. The above poster said you need a tap...you don't....just the included .50 allenkey.

The third option is to use the new JP EZ Trigger which is a newer version and installs much easier.

Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gisselle is the way to go and I have shot a ton of triggers in my LE career. </div></div>

The yardstick by which all are measured....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gpz750</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gisselle ftw. </div></div>

This. I have the adjustable DMR I think and a similar non adjustable unit. My P308 came with the heavier Gisselle trigger. I will be changing it out for one of the lighter weight ones.

These triggers are extremely crisp, light pull, and short reset.

Just installed a Giselle S3G on my AR-15. Very pleased with the result. Installation was easy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The above poster said you need a tap </div></div>
if the hole for the grip screw is not threaded all the way - many are not

I just installed a super dynamic enhanced also was quite easy. Have not shot it yet, but dry fire is light years for the stock trigger, really nice!

Merlinn

JP triggers are for 3 gun competition and feature a quick reset for fast follow up shots. I have a JP on a DPMS SASS and will switch to a Gieselle. The JP for long range accuracy is the wrong trigger. They have no overtravel which is not a good thing for accuracy.

Some top shootes remove the overtravel screw altogether and the trigger goes back as far as it can. The thinking here is before the trigger makes an abrupt stop (think JP) the bullet is long gone.

The JP has minimal creep and breaks clean, but it is the wrong trigger for long range work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The above poster said you need a tap </div></div>
if the hole for the grip screw is not threaded all the way - many are not </div></div>

Could you please explain what the grip screw hole has to do with needing a tap for trigger installation?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JP triggers are for 3 gun competition and feature a quick reset for fast follow up shots. I have a JP on a DPMS SASS and will switch to a Gieselle. The JP for long range accuracy is the wrong trigger. <span style="color: #FF0000">They have no overtravel which is not a good thing for accuracy</span>.

Some top shootes remove the overtravel screw altogether and the trigger goes back as far as it can. The thinking here is before the trigger makes an abrupt stop (think JP) the bullet is long gone.

The JP has minimal creep and breaks clean, but it is the wrong trigger for long range work. </div></div>

The JP trigger has as much, or as little over travel as you want. That is why the JP is a better choice than Giesselle. They are completely adjustable...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m_gale</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The JP trigger has as much, or as little over travel as you want. That is why the JP is a better choice than Giesselle. They are completely adjustable... </div></div>

That is incorrect. You either do not own a JP or you do not understand what overtravel is. On some triggers, you can remove the overtravel screw completely and the trigger will not stop traveling until it hits the back of the triggerguard. Many top shooters in NRA Match category remove the screw altogether, the theory being that by the time the trigger comes to an abrupt halt from hitting the trigger guard, the bullet is long gone.

I have a JP trigger on a SASS. You can remove the overtravel screw and the trigger still stops short. It has about 1/8th of an inch overtravel with or without the screw.

I called JP and they confirmed this. They said their triggers are mainly for 3-Gun competition and if you look at all the shooters they mention in their ad, none are "precision" shooters or "across the course" shooters. They are all "run and gun" types. This type of trigger is great for them because it has a super fast reset.

Which is precisely why so many here are recommending them. Go to Brian Enid and everyone wants a jp. Kind of like going to glock forum and asking which new pistol to buy.

Giselle. I have the High Speed DMR 2-stage on my wifes rifle, and it is sweet. She loves it. I had an owner/operator induced foul up when I was putting it in (a nice way of saying I f%*#ed up) and Bill took the time to help me out, and he doesn't know me from Adam. Absolute first class customer service.

I have a Geissele on my AR and it honestly makes shooting to easy. I was afraid I would not like the two stage feel, but after shooting it I am sold.