• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

give me your input

swarrick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
Commiefornia (Ridgcrest)
My current weight and height, 205lbs(this morning) at 69inches

Age, 36

last test of % body fat, 19% with an 18.5 inch neck. (3 months ago)

I started hitting the gym again two weeks ago after probably 8years of not going at all. I weighed 230lbs 9 months ago, and was tired of being fat so I changed my eating/drinking habits and became more active. This helped to get me down to around 210ish then just kind of stayed there for a while. So I started the routine below. I would like intelligent input on what I am doing below and any pointers that might help me. My goals are to shied weight, trim up, gain strength and stamina. This routine was written for me by a guy in my shop that is knowledgeable in this area but never hurts to get a second opinion. I may get the names of the exercises wrong so bare with me.

These are the ONLY supplements or meds I take and A LOT of water.... Pre-work out I take C4 Extreme (motivation for 4 in the morning) Post work out Muscle Milk (mostly as a meal replacement with good protein)

50-40-30-20-10-5
Dumbbell press flat bench
Dumbbell press incline bench
Dumbbell press decline bench
Dumbbell flys on incline bench

50-40-30-20-10-5
Dumbbell bent over rows
Cable pull down front of head
Cable pull down rear of head
Cable pull sitting up

50-40-30-20-10-5
Sled press
Calf raise/press (machine)
Leg extetion (machine)
Squats

50-40-30-20-10-5
Hammer curls Dumbbells
Tricep cable pull down with rope
Preacher Curls with E-Z bar
Lying down head Crushers with Dumbbell

50-40-30-20-10-5
Dumbbell shoulder press
Shrugs with dumbbells
Shoulder press (machine)
Something else, damn can't remember have to look at notes.

So I followed that exactly till this morning when I changed the reps to 30-20-10-5-5-10-20-30.... I friggen hated counting to 50 over and over again... Any pointers or questions? I will say this just in two weeks I have lost a good solid 5lbs and body is feeling a bit tighter. Not overly painful or sore nothing more than expected. Starting next Tuesday I will be running/Cardio for an hour on Tuesday Thursday and Friday In addition to this.

Re: give me your input

Not bad if you're just lookin to trim up and not really have big strength/size gains. I would look more into a different protein than mm as it tends to be pretty fatty. I'm currently using ON's platinum hydro whey, pretty lean with 30g protein and almost 9 grams bcaa's.

when i used to lift alot, i tried to stay away from shakes and protein bars. I prefer eating lean meats and whole foods to give my body what it needs. Most of the supplement industry is one big scam, just my 2 cents

i am going to look into the ON's platinum hydro whey. My problem is I dont know the diffrences between all the proteins, so I have no clue which on to look at. I am just trying to cut the fat and build stamina.

I use this http://truenutrition.com/p-1019-team-skip-formula-1lb-eggmilk.aspx its pretty good stuff. I add protease and vit and minerals. My max's have went up and body fat down. I also try my best to eat right (that is the hard part on weekends) but during week weight watcher (store bought) meals 3 times daily and fruit snacks if needed during the day.first week was the hardest counting calories. I started @200 pounds I'm down to 185 in 4 weeks but my body has changed noticeable. I do treadmill 5 times a week 30 minutes and walk/jog on saturday and lift hard 4 times a week ( mon, tue, thur, fri.also get a good muli vit.

I see your work out program, but how long do you rest between sets? If you want to burn more energy, cut the breaks down to less than 30 seconds. Your stamina will build too.

I take Wheybolic protein with BCAA, no more than 60 grams from it daily. I am sure my regular meal provide some proteins too. You don't want way too much protein. Otherwise, your liver could be overworking.

I have been doing P90X for a while. My stamina built up even I didn't jog and run for a while. My calves got a little sore afterwards from running 4-5 miles but that's normal for me.

I rest 45sec between sets but I can cut it to 30sec no problem. I have started taking the "ON" gold standard whey protein mixed with a almond milk or water. I do take a multi vit and a pre work out mix. I am changing my routine monday to a 5x5 workout I found on bodybuilder.com I am going to run that for 6 months and see how it goes.

If you're new(er) to lifting check out the Starting Strength 3x5, then move to 5x5. Probably see a little faster gains earlier. But both are good functional strength programs.

Water is your friend! Drink it. Trying to gain weight or lose it, drink water!
Also change your program frequently, don't stay on the same program, you will see your gains plateau. Use shakes to get the extra calories when you can't get meal in. Stick with it, work hard and you will see results!

Given what your stated goals are, what you are eating is more important than the particulars of the workout.

Weight is lost at the table, not at the gym.

I would recommend you lay off any supplements until you take a hard look at what you're already eating, and identify a need.

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given what your stated goals are, what you are eating is more important than the particulars of the workout.

I would recommend you lay off any supplements until you take a hard look at what you're already eating, and identify a need.

--Fargo007
</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">The best reply on this thread</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given what your stated goals are, what you are eating is more important than the particulars of the workout.

--Fargo007
</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">The best reply on this thread</span></span> </div></div>

This is very true! I am having the exact same problem but opposite, I cant keep weight on. I by no means want to get large but just gain and maintain 10 pounds or so. I have a very hard and fast pace endurance oriented training regiment so that dosent help. But I can pound the chow and start making the gains 5 pounds or so (very slowly) but it dosent take anything to lose it all very fast! What you are after starts with a lifestyle change (not saing yours is bad, but...) After that is taken care of the rest will fall into place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given what your stated goals are, what you are eating is more important than the particulars of the workout.

--Fargo007
</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">The best reply on this thread</span></span> </div></div>

I totally agree. If you are trying to lose weight, you might want to track your food and go on a deficit. I use MyFitnessPal and it works perfectly. I would try to eat real food and leave the other stuff out.

A good bodybuilding routine will work fine for you. I wouldn't do Starting Strength if you are trying to cut weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given what your stated goals are, what you are eating is more important than the particulars of the workout.

--Fargo007

</div></div>

Not that I wanted to agree with this guy but Freddy is 100% right.
smile.gif

--Fargo007
</div></div>

Spot on! Added note...Once your food is figured out and fine tuned, the particulars of your workouts will be no problem. You could actually cut down some of the mentioned exercises and SEE wonderful results, as long as good nutrition is maintained. Not to mention just feeling good. Best of luck on your goals!

Starting Strength is definitely a good resource.