• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Giving this dead horse another kick... TT vs ZCO

DoubleOught-BMA

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2018
What's up hide. Ok, this has been discussed ad nauseam but I'm going to narrow it down and get some feedback. 70% of my shooting will be PRS, the rest just range plinking. Distances at 1200 and under with a 6XC.

My key criteria are generous eyebox and the best optical clarity possible. Let's also assume that once you purchase a new 36mm spuhr mount and tenebraex caps for the ZCO, that the price is basically a wash.

So, price being equal (I know it isn't exactly but in this scenario assume it is) - what would yall recommend? I've watched covertnoob's video... including the PRS comparison but unless I missed it (which is likely) there is no "this is best for PRS shooting". I'm good with both reticles, I'd be happy with either set of turrets, warranty is a wash. All I care about is the ease of quickly getting behind the scope and the quality of the image. I'd say 70% of my shooting will be at 15x-18x... the remaining 30% at full mag. Does the 36mm tube and the (bigger?) FOV on the ZCO yield a better image for spotting impacts? I do run with a suppressor so seeing trace and impacts aren't as easy as they used to be running a brake (but I ain't going back!). What about mirage? Is the TT much better at resolving detail in heavy mirage?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has owned and or shot both. What they recommend and why. I've gone back and forth 1,000 times. Just looking for a nudge one way or the other so I can pull the trigger and be done with it. Again... assume the price difference is off the table.

Thanks!

Do you have a strong feeling for the reticles that are offered in either scope? Man, I think it comes down to that.
36mm tube will not have impact on FOV or image, but does deliver more elevation on the ZCO.
Interesting question on mirage and would be curious to hear the answer to that one as well.

You are as gay as 2 boys in bed if you don't get the Tangent Theta.

That is all.

D6B6D761-0036-4409-9CD5-03C2CD877273.gif

So how many ZCO’s do you own? J/K ?

In terms of pure image quality and seeing through mirage, TT is a little better.

In terms of ease of getting behind the eyepiece, ZCO is a little better.

The actual FOV is a touch better on TT and depth of field is a touch better on the TT.

ZCO is a little shorter though and the turrets are lower profile and lock.

Both have good reticles, IMO.

Of the currently available production scopes these are the two best ones in my opinion.

Then again, I would not deem to try to argue with Rancid Coolaid and his wealth of experience with... well, based on his post, I sure hope he is using a Tangent Theta.

ILya

I am indeed using Tangent Theta.

It was a purely rhetorical statement.

I have and very much like the P series TT, having used them all the way back to when their ancestors were called Heritage. I have played with a ZC and - probably due to bias inherent to ownership - think the TT is better suited to my needs.

For me it was image quality and turret feel, both of which I favor on the TT. I don't need locking turrets; and, in truth, with a zero stop, I don't want locking turrets.

As is my usual fashion, I sometimes attempt to introduce levity in situations where it is neither warranted nor welcomed.

Let us call it that.

Last edited:
I am indeed using Tangent Theta.

It was a purely rhetorical statement.

I have and very much like the P eries TT, having used them all the way back to when their ancestors were called Heritage. I have played with a CZ and - probably due to bias inherent to ownership - think the TT is better suited to my needs.

For me it was image quality and turret feel, both of which I favor on the TT. I don't need locking turrets; and, in truth, with a zero stop, I don't want locking turrets.

As is my usual fashion, I sometimes attempt to introduce levity in situations where it is neither warranted nor welcomed.

Let us call it that.

Hey a little humor along with experience is always welcome :) I love and sell both scopes, they both have their Pros and Cons.

You cannot go wrong with either.
I do not own the TT315P, but I own three TT315M, and two ZCO 420s. I have thought about getting a TT315P, but have no real need for the extra elevation or weight over the TT315M.
Here is my take:
Glass all around (clarity, edge to edge, color, contrast, CA, depth of field, "pop", brightness): TT barely
Eye box/relief: ZCO
Turrets: ZCO
Locking turrets: ZCO
Tracking: Both
Finish: Both
Accessories: TT (comes with Tenebraex caps and ARD)
Mounting options: TT
Reticle: ZCO (MPCT1, MPCT2 or new MPCT3 vs Gen 2XR or Mil-dot in 3-15x50 or Gen 3XR in 5-25x56 which would be a wash in my opinion then) unless you are an MOA guy, the TT ((ZCO does not have an MOA reticle)
Magnification range: ZCO (3-15x50 TT vs 4-20x50 ZCO or 5-25x56 TT vs 5-27x56 ZCO)

For 1200 and under, 3-15 is sufficient for my style of shooting. 4-20 might be a bit nicer if you are shooting tiny targets. Not sure if you would need/want 5-25x56 or not.
I run a TT315M on my 6CM and have run it out to 1700+ with no issues. Coyotes don't stand a chance out to 1200+.
Another on a lightweight mountain .280AI elk rifle.
My ZCOs are on a 25SST and a future 6.5SS suppressed shorty I am currently building. Both long range deer/pronghorn rifles.

According to Rancid Koolaid, I guess that means I am Bi.....

Here’s a flow chart:

Does any reticle really stick out? If yes, that’s your choice. If no, move on.

Is saving a few hundred important? If yes, zco. If no, move on.

Prefer locking turrets? Yes: zco no: move on

Prefer tool less turrets: yes: theta no: move on

Require 25m parallax: yes: zco no: move on

prefer little better eyebox or little better glass? Eyebox: zco glass: theta

Here’s a flow chart:

You also provided an excellent breakdown here:

Another thing I've noticed is that the tension in the controls on the ZCO is more to my liking. Nothing wrong with the TT, I just prefer the ZCO.

Optically, you need to study to see a difference. You're not gonna. They are my 2 favorite scopes of all time in history ever and amen.

The answer = get both :D

Another thing I've noticed is that the tension in the controls on the ZCO is more to my liking. Nothing wrong with the TT, I just prefer the ZCO.

Optically, you need to study to see a difference. You're not gonna. They are my 2 favorite scopes of all time in history ever and amen.

Wonder if they loosened up the mag ring in the TT. My latest TT is super smooth. Just like the ZCO smooth. My first TT was too stiff from a few years ago.

Wonder if they loosened up the mag ring in the TT. My latest TT is super smooth. Just like the ZCO smooth. My first TT was too stiff from a few years ago.

I believe they did. If they haven’t, then it varies from optic to optic. Also, if you don’t like the tension on theta, they will adjust it to your liking.

I’ve owned several. Some were very tight mag rings that required a throw lever. The last one I owned was a 2019 gen3xr and it was smooth and didn’t need a lever at all.

It wasn’t zco smooth (they really have the ergonomics figured out) but it was still very nice.

That is the best advice yet. Get both. Definitely both.

ILya

According to Rancid Koolaid, I guess that means I am Bi.....

No judgement.

On favorites, the TT315P is up there, right next to a Premier Hunter that I took to Africa years ago (and sold when premier went tits up), and a Hensoldt 3-12x56 that is literally difficult to get a bad sight picture behind.

It falls precipitously after that, but TT is up there, and not as a fanboy ranking on a safe queen optic, the things just straight-up kicks ass.

No judgement.

On favorites, the TT315P is up there, right next to a Premier Hunter that I took to Africa years ago (and sold when premier went tits up), and a Hensoldt 3-12x56 that is literally difficult to get a bad sight picture behind.

It falls precipitously after that, but TT is up there, and not as a fanboy ranking on a safe queen optic, the things just straight-up kicks ass.

I have a TT525P and TT315M, so I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment.

ILya

I have both, ZCO 3-20 w/MCPT2 and TT 5-25x w/Gen 3xr. By no means do I have the level of experience as others do in shooting, so I may not be able to distill the intricacies of the individual scopes to speak as intelligently as this group.

But at this time, the shortcomings (if any) are so small on both scopes, I just can't argue for one over the other.Dont regret either purchases.

If I was forced to "complain", because, ya know, this is the internet, my only complaint would be:

Too-Damn-High.jpg

I have both. You said you dont care about the price. The reticles you like both. So image quality you can only tell the different side by side. You're splitting hairs. TT does a little better in lower light. Zco much easy to get behind. Zco the image seems bigger at same mag. Cant explain it just spilling what I see and I'm not the only one who sees this. I think the zco is a little more ergonomic and easier to use controls mag-ring/parallax. TT has a slight edge on imagine resolution. Zco has better contract so the image pops. Also one think I love about the zco are the size of the numbers on the turrets. Much easier to easy and pick up in lower light. But the turrets feel much better on the TT. If you can find a way to mount both of them on your rifle, well... then you'll have a perfect scope. Lol

I'd go with spuhr for a match/range gun and an ARC rings for a hunting light weight rig. If you dont have much left over after buying a scope. The ARC rings are very high equality and will do the job well for either applications.

I'd go with spuhr for a match/range gun and an ARC rings for a hunting light weight rig. If you dont have much left over after buying a scope. The ARC rings are very high equality and will do the job well for either applications.

It’s only about a 2oz difference in weight.

Spuhr only needed of you want attachment points or to look cool.

Spuhr mount is over 8oz n the rings are 4oz. Just by preference those twondesigns are the only 2 I know of that dont block your view of the turrets. Personally that's what I know. Have rings on my 420 and a spuhr mount on my 527 and tt525p. At the end of the day I think its all preference and what features you give more value to. Both good choices?

Plus the cool factor plays a roll too I'm a sucker for nice and cool looking things. If I had a choice ...cool looking not cool looking. I'd choose cool looking everyday man. I'm a sucker for it.

So far I’m really liking the RRS 36mm mount. Handy wedge like the spuhr. RRS fills that height gap the spuhr 36mm mounts currently have as well.

Plus the cool factor plays a roll too I'm a sucker for nice and cool looking things. If I had a choice ...cool looking not cool looking. I'd choose cool looking everyday man. I'm a sucker for it.

This is part of the bro code we are all born with. You can outshoot everyone at the range all day, but if you don't look cooler than them, you still lose.

#science

Those look nice. I like where they've placed the bubble as well.

Anyone hear about the new reticle.coming out for zco? Impact 3? Heard rumors it's coming out next month but cant find anything on it.

• Haha
Reactions: Dthomas3523
Anyone hear about the new reticle.coming out for zco? Impact 3? Heard rumors it's coming out next month but cant find anything on it.

Reactions: CSTactical
We are expecting it to be done from our reticle manufacturer in a couple months. Then it'll take a couple weeks to get a batch of scopes put together, tested, QC, etc. Before they ship out.

Reactions: CSTactical
Loool. How many on the same scope do we have to buy. I'll never have the one. ? ?