• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Glass advice

blacklab1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2018
This winter’s project is to put a .22 together for the Modern Arms Rimfire Series (MARS) and I’m not sure what the best way to go is. I picked up a B14r steel BA from a fellow hide member a few weeks ago and have a MDT ACC chassis on the way. I’ve never been at a match but I have been talking with a few people about it. I’m told to be prepared for anything from 1/4” targets at 30 yards to targets out to 300 yards. I really have no idea what scope would be a good fit. I have experience with a Razor on one rifle, a XTR on another and a Mark 6 on the 3rd rifle. The XTR is my least favorite and it’s a toss up between the Razor and Mark 6. I don’t think any of the 3 would be a good choice for the B14r though. So what would be a good pick for $2k or under? The only requirements I have are Mil and FFP since that’s what my other ones are and that’s what I’m used to. I was also told it should be able to go to at least 10 power or higher. Suggestions would be appreciated so I don’t make an expensive mistake.

I'd say you need to add at least one requirement, focus down to 25 yards. That's a common thing for precision rimfire, and it disqualifies a lot of scopes, which is actually pretty useful.

There's a sticky around here (you can go find it) about what info to provide when asking for scope advice; pull it up and fill out the form, then come back and paste it here. Not trying to be a jerk, actually love to geek out on gear stuff, but there are too many questions to answer and they're already listed elsewhere.

Reactions: camocorvette
I'd say you need to add at least one requirement, focus down to 25 yards. That's a common thing for precision rimfire, and it disqualifies a lot of scopes, which is actually pretty useful.

There's a sticky around here (you can go find it) about what info to provide when asking for scope advice; pull it up and fill out the form, then come back and paste it here. Not trying to be a jerk, actually love to geek out on gear stuff, but there are too many questions to answer and they're already listed elsewhere.
I read that thread and thought I hit all the important things, looks like I forgot the shooting conditions though. It’ll be used outside in daylight.

I read that thread and thought I hit all the important things, looks like I forgot the shooting conditions though. It’ll be used outside in daylight.
Ok, fair point, you hit basically everything but budget. That one was a big missing one so I assumed you hadn't read it, but that'll teach me, eh?

What're you looking to spend?

Why don’t you think the Razor would be a good choice? It does great on a bunch of rifles including the owner of the MARS series now.

Why don’t you think the Razor would be a good choice? It does great on a bunch of rifles including the owner of the MARS series now.
It only adjusts down to 50 yards. Is that good enough if some targets are at 30 yards? That’s why I’m asking before I buy, I didn’t know if that should be a deal breaker or not. I’d like to buy and cry once.

It only adjusts down to 50 yards. Is that good enough if some targets are at 30 yards? That’s why I’m asking before I buy, I didn’t know if that should be a deal breaker or not. I’d like to buy and cry once.

You are talking about the original Razor. I am talking about the Razor II. Guy in the middle won the whole MARS series and finale with a Razor II 3-18 on top of his rifle. And the guy on the left who came in second in both also used a Razor II but a 4.5-27.

47A40951-0D28-4894-8D83-CB2BE4F6C638.jpeg

Yeah, the Razor G2 is a pretty strong choice and will save you some of that glass budget if you buy it on here (they come up all the time). I'd say the 3-18x is honestly the better choice, you'll almost never use the upper end of the higher-zoom version in a competition setting and 18x is more than enough. The lower end can sometimes be useful, esp if a stage has generous targets but challenging time limits.