• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

glass bedding or new stock?

dmiller369

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2012
I absolutely hate this cheap accustock. when it was new the stock was rubbing against the barrel and i shaved it back. but my accuracy is still not the best with this rifle.

would you reccomend a new stockade stock or getting the accustock glassbedded?

i don't want to spend more than 200. also i hear replacing the barrel lug on the savages improves accuracy alot too. is this true?

Re: glass bedding or new stock?

I'm not that familiar with the accustock, but I just looked them up.
It would appear to have some kind of bedding block, which shouldn't require any glass bedding.
Still, I don't think they would quite reach the level of dedicated chassis systems.

Personally, if you hate the stock, I would replace it before spending money on fixing it.

If the barrel was rubbing the stock did you check the mounting bolts for the receiver? I have a 10 FCP 5r in 308 with the accustock and have had no problems. I did make a cheek rest out of a shell holder and a cut down cup holder to help with maintaining proper eye position on the scope, cause the$$ not there for a different stock. Hope this helps

I don't know what Bell & Carlson has available, but they do make stocks that won't flex so badly in the $200 price range.

As long as the receiver is torqued into the block correctly, there is no real need to bed the stock. However, I have heard of several people actually bedding it as well. To each their own.

While I agree the stock isn't perfect, it is a fairly nice stock for factory. Since you still aren't seeing the accuracy you are wanting, I recommend removing the receiver, and correctly installing it into the bedding block again. Also, work on different loads, as you will find each rifle likes different things. Experiment with it, it might surprise you.

The recoil lug should be fine, but a new one isn't going to hurt anything. Give your rifle a chance to show you what it can do!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as the receiver is torqued into the block correctly, there is no real need to bed the stock. However, I have heard of several people actually bedding it as well. To each their own.

While I agree the stock isn't perfect, it is a fairly nice stock for factory. Since you still aren't seeing the accuracy you are wanting, I recommend removing the receiver, and correctly installing it into the bedding block again. Also, work on different loads, as you will find each rifle likes different things. Experiment with it, it might surprise you.

The recoil lug should be fine, but a new one isn't going to hurt anything. Give your rifle a chance to show you what it can do!!

DK </div></div>

+1

Great advice.

Are there aftermarket recoil lugs for the Savage Accustock? There are nice recoil lugs for non-accustock stocks.

What is your current precision?

What do you think it should be for a factory Savage with factory barrel?

well i just worked up a new load today and im shooting incredibly well compared to my best amax load for the gun. im not going to say what it was exactly but it was a 5 shot group under .5 moa.(which was the best group of the day. other were from .80-.50)

from what im told is the savage barrel lugs are stamped which causes it to warp vs it being cut. yes i know a gun smith who sell upgraded one.here is the site...http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

although im shooting well now, i still dislike the stock. so for 200.00 can i get a better stock than i have now with no need to glass-bed?

A chassis system generally does not need to be bedded, but is more expensive than $200
A regular stock can be had for $200, and might shoot fine without bedding, but will generally shoot better if you do bed it.
You could probably do this yourself to save some cash. plenty of forum threads and youtube videos on the subject.