• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Glass Cleaning

Jackomason

Poop-smith aka "Turd Herder"
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2013
Westcliffe Colorado
I Live in colorado facing the same "talcum powder" sand as you guys. This is my first time shooting with a brake and its coated everything. My kilo 2000 and my scope are the biggest of my worries. I did a search and saw some solutions for general cleaning but I dont want to rub this sand into my lenses.

What do you guys do after a dry day at the range?

Check out this article

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solutions/how-clean-your-lens-and-filters

Pay attention to the repeated theme of not cleaning too often. I was big into wildlife and wedding photograph, I learned quickly that most lens damage came from cleaning. Stick to bulb blowers and brushes for 90 percent of your cleaning. Don’t use compressed air from a compressor (oil and moisture in your tank). Do t use canned air, the blast of air is extremely cold and can crack hot glass.

Because we can focus our scope on something downrange we can see through most dut on a lens. The one exception is if sun hits lens directly. Use a sun shade. Fashion one out of a piece of paper and rubber band if needed to get that shot off.

Most dust will blow or brush away unless there is oil on the lens. Oil comes from fingers and eye lashes. Our scopes are water proof, flushing the exterior will distilled water will remove a lot of foreign matter also. If you have to clean the lens use new lens tissue and distilled water. Work in a. circular pattern starting in the center, work out to the edges. This mimics the way the lens was polished at the factory.

My advice is experience based on living, shooting, hunting and photographing in western Colorado for 37 years. I’ve ruined some expensive glass not following these recommendations.

Great info! Thanks!

I dont clean my lenses all that often, but this time is definatly the exception. I'll give the bulb a try. I have a feeling that it will do the trick!

I think minerals, salts, etc. in tap water and non distilled water will leave water spots on the glass.

Thanks this is good info - glad I have only used a brush so far... this has been a lingering question in my mind. Thanks!

What about using alcohol instead of mineral water?

I’d stick with H20, lens cleaning wipes or VERY MILD dish soap added to H20.

I’ve found alcohol to leave smudges. Actetone and other solvents eat plastic and rubber. I’ve seen ruined Binos and phot lens where the seals cracked, turned gummy or disappeared.

I ssuspect acetone and other solvents may be similar to solutions used as carrying agents when coating are applied. Use at Your own risk. Lens might be sqweeky clean, as in bare glass no coatings clean.

Frank, you have a no BS, trusted relationship with several optics companies. Can you see what they add to this conversation. I’m just applying common sense and practical knowledge from different field this discussion, It’s possible that I’m off base regarding alcohol assetone etc.