• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Glass comparison

tommyc279

Minuteman
Feb 10, 2010
Haslett Michigan
I am building a 300 Blackout rifle and looking for new glass. I would like to hear about the glass comparison between Vortex PST, Bushnell Elite tactical, Weaver tactical and Sightron tactical. My main concern is glass clarity and quality. The next in order of importance is reliability and repeatable adjustments. All fall in the 600-800 dollar range and right now I am leaning toward the bushnell. All scopes are mil/mil and I am more concern about clarity and adjustments over reticle and ffp/sfp. All scopes I am looking have a max power of 10-15. Any input or known problems with these scopes would be very helpful.

Re: Glass comparison

All I can testify to is that the Bushnell glass is a hell of lot better thant the PST glass. But actually the knobs on the PST felt better to me. Not that the Bushnells are bad, just not quite as good as the PST.

I have a Weaver Tactical 4-20x50, and a Sightron II 4.5-14x42. Before deciding on the Weaver I looked through the Vortex PST & the Weaver in stores (and the PST at the range) - thought the Weaver glass was much better so went with it.

My opinion is that both the Sightron and Weaver glass are very good, no big differences to pick one over the other. Also went with the Weaver since it was FFP.

Don't have experience w/the Bushnell Elite Tactical. I'd recommend that you take a look through all the scopes you're considering. I know that can be easier said than done. I had to traipse all over town to find the Vortex & Weaver I was considering.

I have 2 of the Weaver Tactical 4x20x50mm. Also have a Sightron Slll Tactical 6x24x50mm. In my opinion the glass is very good in both models. Much better than the Vortex PST I had.

I can't comment on the Weaver or Vortex but I own both Bushnell's Elite Tactical and Sightron's SIII.

They are both nice scopes and both are clear. Sightron has the edge as far as resolution and contrast. The low variable Bushnell's are plenty bright and I don't mean to suggest otherwise, but does not seem as saturated as the SIII.

Both turrets are serviceable but I have to again give a nod to Sightron, the adjustments have more positive and consistent feedback.

The Bushnell feels more substantial, thicker material, that gives a sense of additional durability.

Although I believe the Sightron has more capable glass, at around the 10x you are looking at Its not likely a deal breaker. It does look different, but more apparent as magnification climbs.
I'd say pick the one that best fits the rest of your criteria.

Good luck-

Thanks for the feed back on the scopes, I am going to try to go look through these optics this weekend. Please keep giving the feedback, I want to know the good and the bad.