• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Glass for a 20in 308 LMT MARS-H

zblink

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2009
MI
Looking at thoughts on new glass for an LMT I just put together.

I currently have a Gen 2 4.5-27 on a rimfire and a M5Xi on a 6.5 Creedmoor.

The list of scopes I am looking at are (Sorted by Cost)

Gen 2 4.5-27
M5Xi
Gen 3 6 - 36
ATACR 5-25

Other considerations
M7Xi
Kahles 5-25

What are your thoughts? The 4 in the top list above are all within 500 of each other with the Gen 2 being the cheapest (when comparing new)
The Kahles is over $1K more than what I can go buy a Gen 2 for so that is why it is in the "other" list, and the M7Xi about the same cost as the NF.

All the posts of everyone hating the Gen 3 turrets has me a little hesitant about picking one up because I have yet to find one local to just tinker with, so that would be a blind purchase

* The Gen 2 I have is the EBR-1C reticle and I like the MSR reticle in the Steiner a bit more.
* I don't have enough time behind the Steiner to say if I really prefer the turrets of one vs the other.
* The Steiner seems to have more natural colors compared to the Gen 2
* The Gen 2 has slightly better glass edge to edge and doesn't have the CA on objects when on full power.

Do I gamble on a Gen 3?
Save money and buy a Gen 2 (could buy a Sphur or Audere with the cost savings compared to a Gen 3 or Steiner)?

Pick something different all together?

Have you cruised the PX for some good deals? You could get yourself into a nice S&B Ultrashort, there’s some nice used ones along with a lot of others

I can’t speak for the Gen 3 vortex but all are good scopes. I’d pick your favorite reticle and take into consideration weight and length.

IMO a long length scope looks a little odd on a AR platform (but that’s just me)

Here’s my 14.5” MWS sporting a S&B 520 US and a Leupy Mark5hd (which I sold for the S&B)

Attachments

• BA110AF9-96FB-4711-82E4-676DCC96FAF7.jpeg
    BA110AF9-96FB-4711-82E4-676DCC96FAF7.jpeg
    372.2 KB · Views: 287
  • 0AC777E7-0C5D-47E8-8A0F-C79028CF864C.jpeg
    0AC777E7-0C5D-47E8-8A0F-C79028CF864C.jpeg
    503.8 KB · Views: 2,023
Last edited:
Reactions: simonp
I would entertain a 5-20 US. It's the perfect optic for a 20" gas gun. Experience with it was on a JP 20" 308 owned and operated by @siscoe308. He can chime in with why it's a great choice.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
As @Krob95 said, my Gasser wears a SB 5-20US w/ MSR.

Ole Lowlight did a write up on the 5-20 US that gave high marks in about every category.
That will give more color & knowledge than could I.

The proportions just work for my eyeballs when paired with a Spuhr Mount on a large frame.

I have a 4-20 atacr I think it would fit well on a gasser