• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Glass for a mid range AR 15?

Mikealicious

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2012
Tracy, Ca
Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Mike, 23 year old from California. New to this forum. I've been shooting since I was 4-5. I just recently finished (well, almost finished) my first AR build. Was trying to make this a budget build, so didn't wanna go too crazy with all the parts. I get wholesale prices through RSR group, zanders, and I believe midway as well.

so as my AR sits now, here are the specs

• Tactical Machining Lower
• Spike's stripped upper
• Daniel Defense bolt
• Daniel Defense 16" barrel 1:7 twist
• ATI milspec buffer tube
• Magpul MOE Milspec stock
• Magpul MOE carbine handguard
• Magpul MOE grip
• Magpul L5 picatinny rail
• Magpul AFG2 grip
• Magpul B.A.D. Lever
• Magpul gen2 rear MBUS flip up sight

IMG_6887.jpg

I'm stuck on which Scope to get. I have a 100 yard range 15mins from my house, and a 200 yard range that's not too far either. A few times a year, we go camping/shooting where I have access to 1000yds. I'd probably never shoot this rifle any more than 300-400yds (just a couple times a year), but frequenting the 100yd and 200yd ranges.

I've got a Leupold vx-ii 3-9x on my .22 that I've been shooting for years. Also got a Leupold Gold ring on my .300 WM. The two that I think I've narrowed it down to are the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x and the Nikon m223 3-12x w/bdc 600.

I like that the Nikon has the bdc 600 reticle, that from what I've read, is pretty accurate with 55gr rounds, but I'm not sure how it'd do with a heavier grain bullet. I just ordered the lake city federal xm855 (62gr) deal from cheaper than dirt, and will be using them to fire my first shots from this rifle next weekend at the 200yd range. Depending on accuracy out of the box with these, will determine if I'd be doing reloads or not. If I did, I've been looking into the Barne's TSX rounds (most likely the 70gr). In saying this, I'm also asking if anyone knows how the BDC600 on the Nikon will do with heavier grain bullets? I've used and shot many guns with Leupold glass, and am very pleased with their products. But this Nikon seemed to fit my platform, and price point.

I can get the Nikon for about $340 and the Leupold for around $375. Was going to mount them on the American Defense recon quick disco mount, so I have the ability to take off the glass and shoot iron sights when I want.

So my questions to those of you that have used either or both, for my application, what would you think would be a better purchase? I'm also open to other options for around the same price point.

Thanks for reading, and for any help.

Re: Glass for a mid range AR 15?

Just put an holo sight (eotech) on it. I can hit great at 200 without magnification. But if you insist on having mag then throw a 3x magnifier behind it... or get variable optics. You'll likely only need a 1-4 or 1-6 magnification scope ,maybe a 3-9. Any of the Burris/Bushnell Elite/Weaver would be great and have options in that price range.

Cannot attest for BDC's, no experience.

Check out:
Burris MTAC 1.5-6

Pardon my ignorance but how do you have an AR configured like that in California? Doesn't the AWB apply there?

Geek - I'll look into the Eotech and Burris. The Eotech 512 and Exps2/exps3 are fairly popular aren't they?

Powder - it has to be a minimum of a 16" barrel, must have a bullet button mag release, and a fixed 10rd magazine. I have a friend visiting from Nevada that brought his 30rd Pmag (one in the picture).

I have a leupold mark AR 3-9x40 on my 16" AR15 and have enjoyed it. However the elevation knob is for a 55gr fmj at 3100fps. Most ammo I've run through my AR is about 2750 to 2850fps so the settings on the knob are useless. There are conventional markings also so for me it functions as a standard scope. The glass is very good especially for the price and I have used mine successfully out to 500yds.

Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikealicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geek - I'll look into the Eotech and Burris. The Eotech 512 and Exps2/exps3 are fairly popular aren't they? </div></div>

Yup, I have the Exps2-2 (with the 2nd dot for 2 MOA) and love it.

midway has the 3x10x40 weaver tactical on sale right now and it has mil/mil return to zero nobs . I have one on a 20 inch bushmaster v-match . its all the bdc you need and will get you out to 300-400 yds pretty easy . its a pretty nice optic for 299.00
one more thing I see you have a 1/7 twist barrel and if you are planning to shoot the 70 grain barnes tsx bullet use the info on the barnes bullet site. the faster you push this bullet the better it flys . my colt 6940 loves this round . forget shooting it in a 1/9 the bullet is very long and dont stabilize that great . the 62 grain tsx also does well with varget.

You said what ranges you're going to be shooting at, but not what type of shooting you're going to be doing. Quick kill drills? Bench shooting? It makes a difference.

Ordinarily for that type of rifle and ranges of engagement I'd recommend an Aimpoint/similar with possibly a 3x magnifier, or one of the 1-4x offerings available out there. It's set up for short to mid range engagement, light and fast, and I would think you would want to use it as such but that's your decision, not mine. If you're doing bench shooting you'll want more magnification and smaller than a 2moa dot, so a 3-9x within your budget would fit well.

Your actual application and usage will dictate, not the distances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwb47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">midway has the 3x10x40 weaver tactical on sale right now and it has mil/mil return to zero nobs . I have one on a 20 inch bushmaster v-match . its all the bdc you need and will get you out to 300-400 yds pretty easy . its a pretty nice optic for 299.00
one more thing I see you have a 1/7 twist barrel and if you are planning to shoot the 70 grain barnes tsx bullet use the info on the barnes bullet site. the faster you push this bullet the better it flys . my colt 6940 loves this round . forget shooting it in a 1/9 the bullet is very long and dont stabilize that great . the 62 grain tsx also does well with varget. </div></div>

thanks for the heads up on the weaver tactical. do you know which reticle is on that one?

and yea. I was planning on using the info from Barne's site. It seemed to be a pretty nice round and fits my needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You said what ranges you're going to be shooting at, but not what type of shooting you're going to be doing. Quick kill drills? Bench shooting? It makes a difference.

Ordinarily for that type of rifle and ranges of engagement I'd recommend an Aimpoint/similar with possibly a 3x magnifier, or one of the 1-4x offerings available out there. It's set up for short to mid range engagement, light and fast, and I would think you would want to use it as such but that's your decision, not mine. If you're doing bench shooting you'll want more magnification and smaller than a 2moa dot, so a 3-9x within your budget would fit well.

Your actual application and usage will dictate, not the distances. </div></div>

good call on the application. Most of this shooting will be at the range, with a few varmit trips a year where I'll be shooting off hand. no quick kill drills or anything like that. And if I was going to, that's why I was going with the quick disco mount. Figured I could take the scope off and use the iron sights.