• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Glass for a PRS gun?

bowguy23

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2020
Louisiana
I’m am in the works on a Rem 700 6.5 Creedmoor for a PRS gun. Glass is something I keep going back and forth on. I’d really like to try to stay around 1k if at all possible, any suggestions?

Reactions: Ledshot0331
You could honestly use a fixed power 16x if you were so inclined. Knowing your reticle/scope inside and out is more valuable than someone running a 3k scope and not using it to its full potential.

There are a ton of options under 1k:
Arken, Athlon, Bushnell, SWFA, Swampfox, Trijicon(sometimes), Vortex, Zeiss(occasionally).
In my opinion, get behind as many scopes as you can before snagging one.

Reactions: Boatninja
I just got an MPO. I haven't shot it yet (still waiting on my rings) but it has nice glass and feels very nice in hand. Very robust and I really like the turrets. The glass is a little better than a PST gen 2 in my opinion as far as resolution and I really like the reticle. The turrets feel much nicer than the PST. When you consider the what it comes with and the fact that it is backed by Brownells, I would strongly consider it.

The down side for me is the limited travel. The scope is advertised at 20 mils. Mine has around 24.2 mils of internal travel but the turret design limits it to 19.2. this probably won't be an issue once I get it zeroed, but I wish it had a little more...

Additionally, I got to handle an Optika 6 3-18x56 and I was really impressed. It seems like a really high quality optic for the price. I almost got the 5-30 instead of the MPO. I just wasn't a fan of the locking elevation and exposed non-locking windage. Other than that it checks all of the boxes.

Last edited:
Viper PST Gen II, do your homework, find someone who will help you get going. Then when you beat THOSE guys that always have the latest and greatest that money buys with your 700 and a entry level scope the look on their face is priceless. Then the best place to be "poor" will be right there beside THOSE guys.

Reactions: wb00757
The Burris XTR II is another option. Mine has always tracked perfectly and in my opinion the glass is good. Someday I will upgrade to a $3000 plus optic but for now the Burris does what I need it to do.

Take a look at the Athlon Ares ETR
The Ares ETR First Focal Plane rifle scope is loaded with features that will allow you to take your long range shooting to another level. Features: Extra-Low Dispersion Glass, FFP, Advanced Fully Multi-Coated, True Zero Stop, Locking Windage Turret, Illuminated Reticle, 34mm Tube, 10MIL/25MOA Travel-Per-Rotation Turrets.

Vortex viper gen 2. good reticle, we tested two of them on different guns internal functions r 100 percent, most important. U want be disappointed, look at the PC here I got one for $700 including rings and bubble level

The way I look at it.... The advancements in optics in the past year make it hard to spend money on anything older than that around the $1000 range unless you get an amazing deal on a used unit. It's not a knock on scopes like the PST II or XTRII which I think have rightfully earned their reputations. These new scopes such as the Optika 6 are just a higher VALUE.... for equal prices you can get ED (better?) glass, better reticles, higher magnification ratios, etc....

Whoever suggested a fixed 16x was right. It will do everything you NEED. Anything more is just a luxury.... I personally really like those luxuries though

Can you go wrong with any of the suggestions in this thread as long as it checks your boxes? Good luck making a decision!

We really live in a great time for precision shooting

Vortex PST gen2
Look at
Sport optics.com
Best prices and service I found

Give Scott a call or email at liberty optics, he’s usually got smoking deals and really supports the hide members.

There’s an NXS F1 in the PX that’s for $1500 OBO. Go work out a price with him that’s closer to your budget and you won’t be disappointed.

However if you increase your budget to 1500, you can snag an ATACR F1 4-16 for around that.

I don’t have any time on the Razors or MK5s so I can’t personally speak to them.

Then snag a set of Badger rings from the PX and you have a decently-priced optic setup you won’t have to worry about over the years. NF and Badger have never done me wrong, so I have to give credit where it’s due.

Side Note:
Either of those two optics will do you fine and can be used as club should you disagree with a MD/RO or the shooter ahead of you took the prize you wanted from the table. Best part is that you won’t have to send the scope in for repairs after you bludgeon him with it. #ProTip

1581542915726.png

I just bought a Vortex PST Gen II and a bunch of other stuff for a $1057.00. B of A credit card had 0 percent interest for 15 months, plus if you spend over a thousand dollars in 90 days they give you $200 cash back. If you set the account for 3% cash back on internet purchases before you start buying, it's like another $30.00 back. Optics Planet has the scope for $949.05 plus a $100 gift card which I used to buy Seekins rings for $23.50. I bought two 5 rd Tikka CTR mags, a Harris bipod , 2 boxes of match 6.5 ammo, a bore guide and a Vortex scope level.

All for the price of the Vortex PST 5X25X50 Gen II. It's been a good night !!! This is for my Tikka CTR Stainless 6.5 20" that I got for $716.00 before tax. :)

This is one way to get a deal OP, and outfit your rifle while being frugal. (cheap) Edit to add, that I also used the Honey App and saved a few more bucks.

Last edited:
There's been some Bushnell DMRII's posted in the PX lately for great prices. It would be hard to go wrong with one of those