• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Glass for kidd supergrade

Which scope

• Athlon ares etr

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Vortex pst genii

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Athlon midas tac

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

RandomWAguy

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2012
PNW
Just bought a kidd barreled action for my victor company stock. Now I need help picking what glass to put on it. This will be mainly club matches and nrl22 for this rifles, Ive narrowed it down to 3 scopes in my mind,

Athlon ares etr
Vortex pst genii 5-25
Athlon midas tac

Obviously the tac is almost half the price but I keep hearing how amazing they are for the price. I am tempted to get one of the nicer scopes though as I know I will be getting a vudoo in the next year or two at most also.

Whats everyones take?

I'm in the process of building a similar 22 rifle, but have a Feddersen barrel on the slip-fit Kidd action/trigger. I went with the Midas Tac as it should be all I need for this 10/22. Rather than looking at moving the scope to another rifle in the future, I tend to keep my older rifles with the scope in place and just purchase another scope when I buy another rifle. A year or two down the road you might have a even better scope available for the same money.

I’ve not look through an athlon but I have 3 vortex pst scopes. That’s my vote...

I have a kidd supergrade in a victor titan. I’ve tried the ares etr but can’t get it mounted far enough forward to get proper eye relief while using thick rings like ARC M10.

I’m happy with my Midas tac 6-24. Just wish it had the new tree reticle.

Id vote the Vortex Gen 1 Razor or XTR2 or Bushnell 3-21 DMR esp if planning a Vudo build.. Each have a better track record than Athlon...

GL!
DT

IMO the Athlon Midas Tac has better glass than the Viper PST gen 1 or 2

I've had all of them and the Midas tac is my favorite especially with the floating dot reticle

talk to doug at cameraland

The Midas TAC is an awesome optic for a rimfire. If you want to go a little more money the 30mm Tract Toric HD is a fantastic optic. That’s what I have on my NRL22 rifle. My son has a Midas TAC. For the money the Tract and the Midas TAC are about the best optics in their respective price ranges. The glass on the Toric is outstanding. I have compared it side by side with a Nightforce NSX and if there is a difference I couldn’t see it. I also love the turrets on the Tract. I have two Torics and will probably buy another when they start releasing a new reticle. I do plan to buy an Ares ETR for the higher magnification though so I will see how they compare. My plan is to pick one up on Monday so I will update here once I can get a good comparison.

the pst 2 gen 2 moa might still be on sale at gander outdoors if the code WINTERSTORM still works

I went with a pst gen 2 since I was upgrading my vudoo to a Razor gen 2 and have no complaints. It parallaxs down to 25 yards and if I have trouble seeing the reticle I just turn the illumination on and problem is solved. Great scope for the kidd

Is everyone that is recommending the PST Gen 2 looking at the 5-25? What would be the pros/cons of the 3-15 vs the 5-25 on a 22lr?

If you ever want to shoot nrl 22 events I’d recommend 3-15 as you can zoom out enough to get multiple targets in view at 25yards. The 5-25 will work but I found it harder to switch from target to target at such a close range with the 5-25. If you just want to shoot 22s far at like 200-300yards then get the 5-25. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: JSchell1309
Thanks, those are great points. I was debating on picking up a Gen 2 3-15 at midway while the price is low. I may do that and squirrel it away for a future build.

I would suggest the 5-25 for NRL22 because there are times when the extra power is beneficial. For example when shooting paper stages at 100 yards in December the lower power didn't allow me to see where I was hitting the paper and adjust.

My kidd has the PST gen 2 5-25 which was taken off my vudoo and the vudoo has the Razor gen 2 3-18. I really like the razor as I do have the slightly higher magnification than the 3x15, but the are about twice the price which is why I only have one. I would probably stay with the 5x25 for my uses if i did it again.

Attachments

• 47ED8A3C-4C83-4EFB-B313-024B54F925FD.jpeg
    47ED8A3C-4C83-4EFB-B313-024B54F925FD.jpeg
    391.1 KB · Views: 50
  • D75300A0-8463-4042-85C5-E2E1DB290F76.jpeg
    D75300A0-8463-4042-85C5-E2E1DB290F76.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited: