• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Glass for spotting/hunting

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Getting into hunting this year, and drew a tag for mule deer in my area. I'll be hunting in and around the mountains in my area with a friend.

My question is, is a Terrapin-X a suitable alternative for glassing instead of binos or a spotter? I already own the Terrapin-X. For binos I only have a Vortex Viper 10x28. Friend has a pair of 10x42's that he will be using.

I would rather not have to spend money if I don't have too, glass is not cheap. Looking to see if anyone here uses their Terrapin-X (or equivalent) as a substitute, or if I'm really handicapping myself by doing so.

PXL_20220826_185334929.PORTRAIT.jpg

I have used one of these a bit at a match to spot hits.
Was easy.

Can see that using to glass for deer would be tough and create a lot of eye fatigue in short order.

10x28 will work for. Not the best, but probably good enough vs dropping more $.
I love my 10x42s for most glassing.

Try it.
You may find it works well enough.
Do it different next year if not.

Reactions: kthomas
I have used one of these a bit at a match to spot hits.
Was easy.

Can see that using to glass for deer would be tough and create a lot of eye fatigue in short order.

10x28 will work for. Not the best, but probably good enough vs dropping more $.
I love my 10x42s for most glassing.

Try it.
You may find it works well enough.
Do it different next year if not.

The Terrapin-X will be coming anyways, but it wouldn't be difficult to also bring along the 10x28's.

I like your plan - test out what I have this season, and if deemed inadequate, upgrade to better bino's next year. My biggest issue with spending $$$ on glass is that I've been spoiled by the scopes we use in our sport, and good glass is not cheap...

I haven't used that RF but in general a good set of binos/ spotting scope is what you want. Some spend extra and get a Leica Geovid which is really spendy. I use my Minox binos and an ancient Leica RF. If you go cheap on glass you might miss spotting your game. Just my two cents worth from the peanut gallery.

I haven't used that RF but in general a good set of binos/ spotting scope is what you want. Some spend extra and get a Leica Geovid which is really spendy. I use my Minox binos and an ancient Leica RF. If you go cheap on glass you might miss spotting your game. Just my two cents worth from the peanut gallery.

The Geovids look awesome. Unfortunately not something I can afford at this time, though maybe in the future.

Reactions: xsn10s
How rediculous of a tag is it? If this is a crazy draw, and are looking for a monster, get some better glass. If only looking for any animal, you could swing it with the gear you have. Most of the mule deer hunting I have been around seems to require a good bit of sitting with glass, but have blasted them out of a hay field with little to no glass.

How rediculous of a tag is it? If this is a crazy draw, and are looking for a monster, get some better glass. If only looking for any animal, you could swing it with the gear you have. Most of the mule deer hunting I have been around seems to require a good bit of sitting with glass, but have blasted them out of a hay field with little to no glass.
Not a crazy tag at all. Nothing like a lifetime hunt or anything like that - pretty regular one to draw here.

Drawing a tag doesn't dictate whether you'll see a monster or just a meat buck. Ranging is pretty secondary to me. So I use better binos in order to spot. Good luck with your hunt.

I have a pair of 10x25mm Leica Ultravid binoculars. Yes compact binoculars but I sure like them. The next item works for me at least. I live in Montana and I use it for hunting, range time, and just for viewing wildlife. I'm am 100% satisfied with the glass, lightness, durability, and warranty.

Leupold 15-30x50mm Gold Ring compact spotting scope.

Reactions: xsn10s and kthomas
Drawing a tag doesn't dictate whether you'll see a monster or just a meat buck. Ranging is pretty secondary to me. So I use better binos in order to spot. Good luck with your hunt.
I'm basically just looking to put meat in the freezer.

Appreciate the advice!

Reactions: xsn10s
Another option is to try to borrow a pair. Binos are much less strain to use than any monocular setup, and your odds of spotting an ear flick or a white deer butt go way up with decent glass locked into a tripod. I’m a bit spoiled, but I would highly recommend a decent pair for hunting ($500-700 minimum) if you decide you want to do this more often. In the short term, try to borrow or rent:

And if you're like me, you'll never think about the price when you use the rig, only about how it was money well spent

I cannot hunt without my Diamondback 12x50. Seriously I don't know how I hunted before. The scope is great for surgical precision but the binos let me see different depths of field.

I like my Vortex Diamondback 12X50. I don't know how I hunted without it, before. I can adjust focus and pull in and out of trees and bushes.