• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Glass Power?

eli polite

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
delaware
I know the answer to this question is just get the rite power scope! But that's not an option rite now. I have a 2.5x9 and a 12x42 NF the 2x9 is on my .22 trainer and the 12x42 is for my current rifle project. The problem is my . 308 has no glass. I know strange that I already have the glass for an incomplete project but no glass for my current operational rifle. (It was a great deal I could not pass on)

I can shoot my .308 at any distance between 1000 yards. Would you rather have the 2x9 or the 12x42 on top if the .308 I plan on doing a lot of shooting at the 500yd distance

I know kind of a stupid question but I am interested in your thoughts

Last edited:
I know the answer to this question is just get the rite power scope! But that's not an option rite now. I have a 2.5x9 and a 12x42 NF the 2x9 is on my .22 trainer and the 12x42 is for my current rifle project. The problem is my . 308 has no glass. I know strange that I already have the glass for an incomplete project but no glass for my current operational rifle. (It was a great deal I could not pass on)

I can shoot my .308 at any distance between 1000 yards. Would you rather have the 2x9 or the 12x42 on top if the .308 I plan on doing a lot of shooting at the 500yd distance

I know kind of a stupid question but I am interested in your thoughts

If I was not going to use the gun for hunting or in where I needed to be able to quickly get hits I would go with the 12x42.

I run a 8.5-25X50mm on my 308. Really up to you, the way i see it you can never have too much power. Buy once cry once!!!! 12X42 my choice between the two you have.

Last edited:
I have a 5-25, 4-20 and 10 but a 4-16 or 3-15 would do or even an affordable SS. 3-9 or x10 straight.
It is a matter of having a decent glass with a reliable tracking and it also depends on what you shoot at.
Some target folks like many BR shooters prefer x40+ magnifications to read a book at 200 yards.
Others are only seeking a hit in the steel and prefer larger FOV that is a nice thing in many practical applications.
Also a more compact, lighter and rugged scope might be preferable for practical use.
Just make sure you have enough range of adjustment for your loads and might want to borrow 10 or 20 MOA with
a canted mount.

I had a NF3.5x15 on it at one pint and sold it on this site. To fund the start of my new Rifle I planned on replacing it with another 15 to 20 power scope but stumbled onto the 12x42 NF and couldn't let it pass. So now it will be probably a year before I'm ready to buy antler scope. so as over powered as I think it is. I think I will just deal with it for now. The lowes setting I think is to much for 100-300 yards but 500 and beyond 12-25 power is fine for me. I just don't want to switch scopes back and forth on my rifles.

In the south there are many times I am at 9-10 power at 1K do to mirage. This is the reason I went to a 3.5X10X40 on my .308. MOA or better targets are easy to see to a grand even on 8X and there is no bouncing ball to chase.

Purpose and application!!! Your top competitors are going to the higher magnifications due to finite aiming points in "chasing" the spotters, if you will. the reason is; the competition has become so fierce that sometimes the "X" count determines the winner, and I'm talking at 600 and 1000yds. When you are trying to determine if you need two more inches left or maybe right in order to place your next shot, a 10X scope is not going to afford you that capability. the need for a scope that will show the exact distance between the scoring rings based on your last shot is almost a must. Otherwise, it's a " was that 3inches or 6 inches more windage that I need"? In hunting situations you probably don't need anything higher that 12X. If you do you are probably over extending your ability to make a clean kill.