• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Glasses impact rating

47chevycoe

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2017
Nebraska
Hey guys, I was looking to buy some replacement clear lenses for my Oakley frames. There are some aftermarket options that are about 1/2 the price. Their impact rating is 80.3 and I think the oakley lenses are 87. Can someone school me on impact ratings? Primary use will be pistol shooting and also work on the lathe and milling machine.

ANSI Z80.3 - establish standards for noncorrective lenses that are intended for attenuation of light and for fashion eyewear, and for the flammability and durability of frames and lenses.

In other words, NOT impact rated.

ANSI Z87 certification standards are for blunt impact, radiation, splashes and droplets, dust, and/or mall dust particles.

87.1 is a basic, low impact spec, the "+" gives it a high impact rating. Isn't that what you're buying them for? I've worked around machinery all my life, I always go for the highest rating available.

As long as you don't need prescription glasses (like I do), even the "+" spec is cheap. But there is a difference, just look at that McMaster page

Reactions: 47chevycoe
  1. MIL-PRF-32432A clause 3.8.4.1 Ballistic fragmentation characteristics Class 1 spectacles
  2. ANSI Z87.1-2015 clause 6 Impact-Rated Protector Requirements (Z87+)
  3. STANAG 2920 (Edition 2) V50 = 807 ft/s (246 m/s)
  4. EN 166 clause 7.3.4 Protection against high speed particles at extremes of temperature (FT)

Klein Tools Safety Glasses at Home Depot for $13.99 that meets ANSI Z87.1+; CSA Z94.3 / MIL-PRF-32432
    Even more affordable Milkwaukee Tools for $7.97 that meets ANSI Z87.1+; CSA Z94.3
    Ultra affordable MCR Stratos for $1.56 that meets ANSI Z87.1+

Last edited: