• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Glasses or Contacts???

RTO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Im going to the eye doc in the morning. I think I am finally going to have to come to the fact that I need glasses or something. Im curious what most peoples opinions are here as I have no experience with either other than wearing sunglasses. Is it more difficult to find glasses comfortable for shooting? I like the idea of contacts but I also farm and in a dusty environment a lot.

Any help on this topic is appreciated.

Re: Glasses or Contacts???

I have worn both until I ended up getting the laser surgery. I used to do construction with contacts on and sawdust would fill my eyes. The contact acted like a shield so the dust is not a big factor. Just can't go swimming or anything like that.

Contacts dried my eyes out severely and I now have dry eye.

Get glasses, most people have issue with long term contacts.

Not worth the hassle, just get the glasses and wear em when you need them.

I'd grab the glasses. They are eye protection that you don't forget. If you work with people in close proximity, wear your glasses and take a look at them at the end of the day. The amount of dried spit is pretty gross. Not to mention that people's eyesight have been saved a lot of times because a person was lucky enough to be wearing glasses when something bad happened.

Also, nothing wrong with having both.....I just prefer some type of barrier when I'm at work.

Glasses, been wearing contacts the last couple months while shooting and they have been drying out a lot with the heat in GA. Also if theres a lot of blowing sand or if you shoot from sand bags it doesnt feel all that great when it kicks up in your eye. Ordered glasses last week and cant wait to go shoot with them instead of contacts.

Have worn contacts for over 30 years. Have had no problem with the disposable ones.

I shoot (range) most of the time in glass but will not where them to the field (hunting. I cant shoot a bow with glasses i think its due to my anchor point. I have some small frames that even make it tough with a rifle. but with my larger frames its not a problem

i find major difficulty in wearing corrective lenses for shooting. it makes distant objects clearer but the sights go so fuzzy i might as well not be using them. if i dont wear them i cant see distance stuff so i end up "hunting" with them and "shooting" without. kinda a pita. think lasik might fix this buit not sure.

I have worn soft contacts for about 36 years. With contacts, my vision can be corrected to about 20/15 in each eye, and I have great peripheral vision. I also have glasses (bi-focals now). I usually take my contacts out early in the evening and switch to my glasses for puttering around the house. Peripheral vision with glasses sucks.

Short answer: get both.

I'd recommend glasses. Get fairly large acrylic lenses and they double for safety lenses.

The girls/ladies in our family have contacts and they get a lot of issues related to irritation and infection.

Greg

I've used disposable contacts for about 15yrs now. Started with 2 week disposables, and now wear the daily disposable ones. Not a big difference in price, but the daily ones are much better for me as far as the contacts feeling 'fresh' and not drying out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LAsik...screw glasses and contacts</div></div>

+1 Billion! I finally took the plunge back in 08', 20/20 and 20/15. Quite possibly the best investment I have ever made.

I have difficulty shooting in glasses. I wear contacts. However, you stand far better chance of royally f-en your eyes up by improper wearing of contacts than you do getting corrective surgery so, I vote corrective surgery if you don't think you can handle the routine contact wear forces on you.

Thanks guys, so I found out this morning I am near sighted. I got glasses to start with. She said something about sunglasses in prescription and they had some Oakleys there but nothing that looked like it would be easy to shoot with. Can you get prescription glasses in any Oakleys and is the cost ridiculous if you do?
Thanks for all the help, this is all new to me. I have been fortunate up until now to not need them but I guess you cant stay young forever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LAsik...screw glasses and contacts </div></div>I

+1. I got LASEK and have loved it. The convenience of not having to worry about glasses and contacts far outweighs the initial cost.

You can get Rx Oakley but they are a bit $. Unless you have access to Standard Issue program they offer. Are you LEO, Mil, Firefighter, EMS ?