• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Glasses when using a scope ? -- Non-presciption

Bungi

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2012
Wondering what shooting glasses are being used by those with top-tier scopes.

I have always used cheap plastic shooting glasses, but I finally realized those cheap glasses are diminishing the benefit of having a nice scope with good glass.

I do not wear prescription glasses -- So I was hoping to find out what others recommend for good shooting glasses.

I have always used cheap plastic shooting glasses, but I finally realized those cheap glasses are diminishing the benefit of having a nice scope with good glass.

I do not wear prescription glasses -- So I was hoping to find out what others recommend for good shooting glasses.
I use gatorz or ESS and oakley

Randolph Rangers...real shooting glasses, not sunglasses. Just my always arrogant opinion! haha

Reactions: John Glidewell
Wow -- Never heard of Randolph.

Glad I posted this question.

I notice none of the lenses are clear -- I have only ever used clear lenses.

Pilla Outlaws. Bought them for clay shooting but they work great for all other shooting.

Reactions: Baron23
Wow -- Never heard of Randolph.

Glad I posted this question.

I notice none of the lenses are clear -- I have only ever used clear lenses.
They do make clear lenses...though, for scope rifle shooting I use a very light lemon color. It enhances contrast...sort of why when night skiing people use yellow goggles and the like.

But they def make clear lenses. Just talk to Mike at LM.

See here.

Advantages of this kind of shooting glass system is that they are well off the face to reduce risk of fogging up or having sweat drip on them and you can have them sitting a bit higher your face than regular sunglasses (adjustable nose bridge and fairly tall lenses) which is very helpful when shooting prone and sort of having to look a bit upward into the eye pupil.

Rangers and Pillas (very expensive but very good) are very popular with clay target shooters and picking up a 47 mph skeet high house target just a few feet out of the house is imperative. So, excellent clarity is required.

And as our friend @TacticalDillhole pointed out, why pay thousands of dollars for a very good scope and then look thru with crappy lenses. Makes zero sense.

Go to any major skeet shoot (like the World in San Antonio with 900 shooters) and at least 90% them will be wearing Randolf or Pilla. These people are into clarity of vision at all costs.

Best of luck.

I truly appreciate the suggestions.

I admit I am leaning toward clear lenses, but perhaps that just displays my ignorance on such things.

I will check them out.

Man-oh-man are there a lot of shades/colors

And the Pillas are far more expensive than I expected.

A whole new world for me.

• Love
Man-oh-man are there a lot of shades/colors

And the Pillas are far more expensive than I expected.

A whole new world for me.
Don't over think it...if you like clear, then just get a set of clear lenses.

Pillas are very expensive...very. Guys who spend $20K on a K80 two barrel set to shoot skeet will spend that....but I think they are over kill for rifle shooting and again recommend the Randolph Rangers. They will last you more than a decades, in my experience (well, if you don't drop the lenses on gravel or such haha).

Lenses are easy to change out...very easy...so, get what you want now and if you feel another set of lenses with diff tint are desirable, you can just order those new lenses.

Mike is great to work with and he has other shooting glasses at different price points so if you talk to him, he will be glad to give you some guidance based on your preferences and use case.

Best of luck.