• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Global Travel in the 2000's

Cardboard55

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2021
PA
Once upon a time, it seemed like people, specifically US citizens, could travel around the world in relative safety (using sensible precautions of course). After perusing the current travel advisories, it looks like everywhere is a crapshoot.

Got any interesting stories of places that are no longer enjoyable or safe destinations?

Current Mexico advisories, for example, are extensive:

You can sort countries by threat level here:

The State Dept OSAC Twitter account is interesting, lots of advisories

I'd imagine a security job is becoming less fun as global conditions continue to deteriorate.

Maybe it's true for every generation, but I wish I would have traveled more, even thoughout the US, when I was younger. I liked to travel alone, both in cities and in the sticks, and seems there are more places where that is no longer a good idea, especially as a geezer. Even NYC is off my list, been there plenty of times but there were a couple of museums etc that I thought might be cool to check out. No longer. Same for Baltimore & St. Louis. Overseas it's down to Switzerland or Japan, couple others here and there, Scandinavia, maybe Spain. Wish I had made the trip to South Africa to ride the Blue Train. Now with blackouts / load shedding, even that's questionable.

Where are some places you would now never go or return to?

Here's an example: 40 y/o guy goes on a 24-hr business trip. Takes client to basketball game and they hit a bar afterwards and guy leaves to go back to hotel. Never seen again, wallet found, credit cards used...

(Tiger droppings is LSU gossip site, all the details on things Louisiana)

Don't want to get into the weeds on that specific case, just an illustration of places not being as safe as they used to be. Some countries, Mexico for example, are off the charts more dangerous.

I used to do business trips all the time, solo, never worried about taking a customer out for a few drinks. All over the place. Big cities, small towns. Chicago, NY, SF, Denver, never an issue.

Last edited:
The solution is obvious.

We should follow the UN’s orders and disarm all law abiding U.S. citizens. / Sarcasm.

I’ve only been to Mexico once. Never again.

Friend of mine went there in 1995. She was carjacked, robbed, raped, beat up and left in a ditch for dead.

Fortunately, the “cops” fund her in time so she lived.

I’m sure things are worse these days.

Reactions: 101st and BurtG
Surfed in Baja quite a bit BITD and a Federale shakedown was common. Always kept most of our money stashed - not in our pockets. I hear that situation has been better of late. Cartel areas are seriously sketchy though.

Hitchhiked through the Sinai a couple of times to go diving in Sharm in the late 90s when I was working in Tel Aviv. Wouldn't do the Sinai today - Tel Aviv is fine though - liked that place! One night I caught a ride with some Bedouins in a POS Volvo. They hid me under a blanket and some other stuff in the back to get through a checkpoint. All I could see out of a little crack was the muzzle and bayonet on an AK. A little unnerving but the diving was awesome!

Traveled all over the world and had places in a couple of countries for several years without issues other than one night my boss was pick pocketed in Prague by a couple of hookers that were rubbing on him (sexy, sexy!) and got his moneyclip. Nothing terrible and had some good laughs at his expense for that one.

Mostly just figure out where the bad / high crime neighborhoods are and avoid them. Often places get a bad rap as a whole when 99% of the problems are isolated to a couple of small areas. Learn just a few phrases in the local language and you'll generally find locals are far more helpful.

Circa 1958 when I was about 9, traveling in Europe. I remember one instance when we were at the back of a long line waiting for something and people said, "They're Americans, let them go first." Think that would happen today? I also remember hearing some fat stupid tourist woman say to her husband "Whats wrong with these people, why dont they speak English?" Maybe thats part of why things changed?

From around 1972 until 2010 I traveled alone, some by bus, mostly driving, all over Mexico and Central America, Only trouble I ever had was in Mexico City and a little in Nicaragua, by cops or Army. Not today, STAY THE FUCK OUT OF MEXICO.

Reactions: Cardboard55
Circa 1958 when I was about 9, traveling in Europe. I remember one instance when we were at the back of a long line waiting for something and people said, "They're Americans, let them go first." Think that would happen today? I also remember hearing some fat stupid tourist woman say to her husband "Whats wrong with these people, why dont they speak English?" Maybe thats part of why things changed?

From around 1972 until 2010 I traveled alone, some by bus, mostly driving, all over Mexico and Central America, Only trouble I ever had was in Mexico City and a little in Nicaragua, by cops or Army. Not today, STAY THE FUCK OUT OF MEXICO.

I agree with the woman, and find it rude that people in other nations don’t speak English.

The metric system is gay too.

In every state, county, city and country is someone willing to kill you. Thats a fact.

I have travelled to some pretty jiggy places and still do. The key is to preplan, observe their laws, don't go where it is obvious you are not wanted or do not belong, always have alternate routes of movement and be aware of the social rest/unrest. Not standing out like a stupid American is a given. I consider bars in another country to be absolute no-go zones. Speaking the language, even roughly, helps immensely.

I have found that MOST people around the world are good people. Those in power (at all levels) can be where the real danger lies.

Important things from this post.

1. Circa 1958
2. They're Americans, let them go first.

1. That was 14 years after "D-Day".
2. That is what they did then too.

Important things from this post.

1. Circa 1958
2. They're Americans, let them go first.

1. That was 14 years after "D-Day".
2. That is what they did then too.
In those days they remembered and appreciated that. Today, not so much.

Just like the respect we received after we stopped the massacres in Kosovo, and the attack on 9/11, Dickie and 'W' squandered it by invading Iraq for profit.

Think I'm going to try Europe while it's still possible. Is it advisable/legal to take at least a pocketknife?

Think I'm going to try Europe while it's still possible. Is it advisable/legal to take at least a pocketknife?
Check all the laws of the places you intend to go. Its the only way to know for sure.

Here's an example: 40 y/o guy goes on a 24-hr business trip. Takes client to basketball game and they hit a bar afterwards and guy leaves to go back to hotel. Never seen again, wallet found, credit cards used...

(Tiger droppings is LSU gossip site, all the details on things Louisiana)

Don't want to get into the weeds on that specific case, just an illustration of places not being as safe as they used to be. Some countries, Mexico for example, are off the charts more dangerous.

I used to do business trips all the time, solo, never worried about taking a customer out for a few drinks. All over the place. Big cities, small towns. Chicago, NY, SF, Denver, never an issue.
13/80s got him more than likely

Stay strapped or get clapped

If your gonna drink don’t drink alone

I'd like to travel the USA more; but sheesh, I was in 'Nawlins almost 8 years ago and I stayed at an "Aloft" when they were new. On the other side of the trolley tracks from the main drag. Walked back to my hotel and I had to keep my head spinning the entire 3/4-1 mile walk. Nighttime, no lights on the freaking streets and just a bad scenario. Made it; but after that and the "shoe" incident in broad daylight I'm thinking there are a few areas of the USA that are more dangerous than some of the 'fern countries: 'Nalwins, Miami, NYC, Shitcago, DEEtroit, LA, San Fran (that's like disease threat there of all kinds)...to name a few. And how could I not mention St. Louis and Memphis.

Reactions: BurtG
Just remember, in Europe there are about 25 different countries in an area about half the size of the U.S. Each one has it own set of rules and laws. Some places like Austria, they will wonder why you didn't bring your A.R. with you. however in the U.K. the thought police will probably arrest you for even thinking about a gun or knive.

Wouldn't mind visiting some Eastern European countries, particularly Poland, Hungary, Czech, etc. They are mostly white, conservative, have pride in their culture and history, and leftists are barely tolerated. You know, like we used to be.

I'd like to travel the USA more; but sheesh, I was in 'Nawlins almost 8 years ago and I stayed at an "Aloft" when they were new. On the other side of the trolley tracks from the main drag. Walked back to my hotel and I had to keep my head spinning the entire 3/4-1 mile walk. Nighttime, no lights on the freaking streets and just a bad scenario. Made it; but after that and the "shoe" incident in broad daylight I'm thinking there are a few areas of the USA that are more dangerous than some of the 'fern countries: 'Nalwins, Miami, NYC, Shitcago, DEEtroit, LA, San Fran (that's like disease threat there of all kinds)...to name a few. And how could I not mention St. Louis and Memphis.
Yep, there’s absolutly no reason to go anywhere near downtown STL after dark other than a Blues/Cards game. East STL, fuck no any time of day. Other than that, my limit is going to the Zoo/Forest Park with the kids, then gtfo.

Reactions: BytorJr and BurtG
Most countries have the same problems we have in this one. They import dregs from 3rd world shitholes to do the menial labor and those dregs spend their spare time robbing, raping and killing. They are like a "value add" to local scumbags and compound the problem of crime. Most tourist areas and population centers are safe enough and it is even nicer if you at least learn a few words of the language and try and talk to people.

I was the designated driver for my group in New Orleans the spring before Katrina. The D-Day museum was awesome, the sites were cool, the locals were the absolute scum of the fucking earth. It was like Planet of the Apes in most parts of town, no one who approached had good intentions. We went to a bar in Bourbon Street, an absolute shithole by the way, and we watched the waitress steal a hundred dollar bill from the guy at the next table. They guy asked for it back and she refused, screamed for the bouncers who tossed these two couple out on the street, fighting and local fat cops shortly followed.

Me and my buddy (an LEO from our home state) were both perfectly sober. The guys they were arresting were Philly cops and their wives. When we offered witness statements, the NOLO cops threatened to beat and arrest us. They sided with local criminals. I used a marker to write my name and number on one of the wives arms because the local thugs wouldn't take a statement. She called the next day, the NOLO cops then robbed the Philly cops of their cash and dropped them at their hotel. No record of their arrest when they went to complain and no staff from the bar remembered the incident.

America is at least as bad as everywhere else.

13/80s strike again

It’s more than culture. There’s sowmthinf wired wrong there.

Was reading thread elsewhere about really crowded airplane flights these days (pack em in for profit). Somebody mentioned 9/11 how empty planes were:

AA11: 76 passengers on a plane that carries 215
UA175: 51 passengers on a plane that carries 215
AA77: 53 passengers on a plane that carries 200
UA93: 33 passengers on a plane that carries 200

Bet they picked that day and time to get lightly loaded flts (easier to control pax), but what a difference. Efficiency experts cramming as many people in flts as possible now.

I quit flying. Too old for that.

(useful site but one wrong word and threads get deleted)

Well, looks like the businessman decided to do a little partying with some hookers...

Yeah. 13/80s got him

036B1C98-D5BC-4D77-B8C1-95666E1E818D.png