• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 17 4th Gen Jam-O-Matic

jrservices

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
Crossville, TN
I want to start off by saying that I am a huge Glock fan and own several. I have been hearing on the internet that the new 4th gen Glocks jam regularly due to the "new" recoil spring. I figured that this was blown out of proportion and probably was rare. So I bought a 4th gen glock 22 and loved it, shot probably 500rds so far with out a SINGLE malfunction. So I bought a brand new 4th gen 17... I have shot about 500 rds through it and had about 20 malfunctions... It fails to fully eject the empty brass. So the internet rumors are true, I called glockworx and ordered their bushing and a 3rd gen guiderod-recoil spring. I will let you know how it turns out. I am still a huge glock fan, but am a little let down by the "new design"

Richard

Re: Glock 17 4th Gen Jam-O-Matic

Call Glock and see if your gun has the correct RSA in it. I'd have Glock fix it before I ut more money into it. I had one at work that did not have the right RSA, one call to Smyrna GA and problem solved.

probably came with the #1 spring I think they call it. They came out with a fix almost right away but not quick enough. Which is a #2 spring. Call glock

be interesting to try the g22 spring in the g17

I called Glock today, they said they have a "new" recoil spring, BUT its on backorder with no release date... They could not even give me a ballpark estimate when I could have the new spring...

Richard

Won't the gen three springs work in the gen four? Isn't it something to do with the dual spring set up not working together?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Won't the gen three springs work in the gen four? Isn't it something to do with the dual spring set up not working together?</div></div>

No, the front of the slide is cut differently. The 4th Gen springs are a wider diameter so the hole is bigger. Some companies make an adapter to use the 3rd Gen springs in the 4th Gen slides.

RE: the problems - another thought is that the extractors have changed spec, and that is causing many of the problems. Recent production Gen 3 9mm Glocks have started to have more reported problems with them than they have in decades.

Glock has pretty much shot their Golden Goose in the face with all of these recent debacles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrservices</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called Glock today, they said they have a "new" recoil spring, BUT its on backorder with no release date... They could not even give me a ballpark estimate when I could have the new spring...

Richard</div></div>

What spring do you have in their now? They have shipped Gen 4 17's with 3 different springs that I know of. Initially unmarked, then "02" then "02-1". God knows what they're planning, now.

Point is, if you have the unmarked spring, getting a "02-1" might still be a step in the right direction.

We have four Gen 4 pistols in right now for T&E. Two G22's, two G23's. After more than 2000 rounds through each, half with and half without either a Surefire X300 or Streamlight TLR1, the pistols have run very well with a variety of ammunition. Somewhere in the .053% malfunction rate and 20% of the rounds fired were while intentionally limp wristing the pistols.

I have read (don't know if it's true) that the Gen4 pistols were engineered with the .40 caliber round in mind then adapted for 9mm. The opposite of earlier generations. The only issues I've read about have been with the 9mm versions. It seems Glock needs to engineer their pistols specifically for each caliber and produce them accordingly.

On both M4Carbine and GlockTalk, there are currently some very detailed threads outlining the differences with the extractors in the newer 9mm guns (both Gen 3 and Gen 4).

There is a visual difference in the two different versions of the extractor, but it's still too early to definitively say the extractor IS the problem.

Many people with problematic guns have brought them back to life with an older style extractor, still in production by Lone Wolf, but no longer made by Glock.

what spring do you have in there now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://jagerproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=90

Get one of those and a IMSI 17pound spring, if the new dual recoil spring is the blame this will fix it. </div></div>

THANKS! I got the jager guide rod and spring, fits perfect, mutch better than the glockworx bushing.

Richard

I was on the fence between an M&P 9mm and a Gen4 G17 and this rumor and apparent problem was enough to sway me to pick the M&P. Sorry Glock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Recent production Gen 3 9mm Glocks have started to have more reported problems with them than they have in decades.

Glock has pretty much shot their Golden Goose in the face with all of these recent debacles. </div></div>Spot on. If a Glock takes work to make run, then what's the point? Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the pistol, in my opinion.

Did the new spring fix the issue you were having?

I have a Gen 4 17 with about 800 rounds down it and have yet to have any issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Palmetto Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats physically different about the spring and does this transfer over to the gen 4 glock 19s? </div></div>

The spring is a dual spring design much like the HK USP. Originally, Glocks were set up with recoil springs designed for the 9mm. As a consequence, the 40 cals started having major issues with frame rail cracking. The Gen 4s are set up the opposite with recoil springs designed to keep wear to a minimum on the 40s. because the spring is stiffer and of different design, it has caused issues with the less snappy 9mm offerings. They updated the spring in the G17 and will send you a replacement that should cure the issue.

As for the G19 having issues...I have experienced none. The short barrel and shorter recoil spring/guide rod assembly does not seem to be an issue from 115 grain to 147 grain subsonics. I have had only one FTF in 1000 rounds.

Josh